Preparing for my first session as GM

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mars

Preparing for my first session as GM

Post by Mars »

I'm planning on running my first game as GM a week from today. My group switches game-systems frequently but we've never played BFRPG and I've liked the rules for years and always wanted to play it. So, as I prepare, I figured I'd post some of my thoughts and plans here, in hopes that people with more experience can spot potential problems and offer advice.

I'm going to run the Olde Island Fortress, and I'm going to start the game at the mouth of the stairway leading down into the entrance room. My backstory is that Father Thelbain (back in Morgansfort) is a crusader-type eager to clear the territories of 'Evil.' He's put the word out that there is treasure to be had in the Olde Island Fortress, but the ruins are currently infected with unholy monsters that will probably need to be eradicated in order to claim the spoils. As further incentive, he's offered a free healing potion to each adventurer willing to enter the site.

Rather than having the characters use a boat or some other means to access the site, I'm saying that the ruins from the bridge have resulted, over the years, in a sort of sandbar that allows people to walk across to the island at low tide. The ruins of the fortress themselves are rather cold and dank--they're below the water level so moisture seeps in through the walls at high tide--and the floor of the entrance room is covered with mud (which gives the player characters a chance to see tracks of some of the creatures moving through, and also will help them spot the trapdoors if they're attentive enough).

My gaming group generally uses pregenerated characters--they're more about battles and hijinks than in-depth characterization--so I offered them the characters from the back of BF1. They chose Apoqulis the cleric, Lucas the magic user, and two players wanted to play as halfling thieves so they've each taken Barthal's stats. I've got another friend who might join, and I'm hoping he'll take a fighter to help balance the party a bit.

In addition to the equipment listed with the pregenerated characters, and the healing potion given to each character by Father Thelbain, I've also equipped each character with a large sack for hauling loot, and I've given the party a 50' rope and a lantern with two oil flasks.

I like the adventure an am planning on running it pretty much as is, with one exception: in room 21 ('Large Hall') I'm planning on replacing the 3 carnivorous apes with one or two crystal statues. I like the mental image of crystal statues refracting the light, and then coming to life, if the characters light the braziers. I also think the apes might be too much for my party to handle, and they're a bit too 'exotic' in my mind for how I'm visualizing the dungeon.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts so far. If anyone reading this has any pointers, I'd be grateful for your suggestions.

Thanks!
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Boggo

Re: Preparing for my first session as GM

Post by Boggo »

OOF it's gonna be tough with no fighter! Do-able but I forsee lots of running away!
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Or, you know, lots of dying...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 pm Or, you know, lots of dying...
I was being positive!!!
Mars

Post by Mars »

Thanks, Boggo and Solomoriah. I'll have to push harder to get someone to take on the fighter role. I don't think my group is prepared for the lethality of BFRPG, though it's an idea I personally appreciate.
Mars

Post by Mars »

More questions: what is the most useful information to have on hand as a beginning GM? What aids/reference document is best?

(I've downloaded the 4-panel GM Screen by Scott Abraham and the Game Charts and Tables by Simone Felli. The latter document is 20 pages long and seems like too much for quick reference, though I think the summarized Encounter section on page 10 looks very useful.)
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Mars wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 pm More questions: what is the most useful information to have on hand as a beginning GM? What aids/reference document is best?

(I've downloaded the 4-panel GM Screen by Scott Abraham and the Game Charts and Tables by Simone Felli. The latter document is 20 pages long and seems like too much for quick reference, though I think the summarized Encounter section on page 10 looks very useful.)
Those are both what I use when I play but if I hit a wall and can't find the answer right away I just make a ruling on the spot.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Thank you, GrimlinJoe. That approach sounds reasonable.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

The tables supplement is really pretty much all I use for on hand, primarily so I don't miss Monster Attack Bonus! I have a bad habit of that, I really should add that to my monster stat blocks I'm starting to think
Mars

Post by Mars »

I've printed out the Game Charts and Tables document by Simone Felli, and plan on having it on hand for the session.

Here's another question: any advice on tweaking encounters to account for player's not being up to the default difficulty level?

I'm very interested in RPGs as "alternative reality" strategy games, but honestly some of the folks in my gaming group are more on the "goofing around and acting/playing roles" side of the spectrum. After Boggo and Solomoriah's posts earlier in this thread, I'm a little worried that my group will come into the entrance room and get slaughtered by a couple of wandering monster goblins, or something. Any advice on tweaking things on the fly, without making it feel obviously fake?

Or maybe a first-room TPK would be a good thing, if it served as a wake up call and notice that to play this game, they'll have to have to do some strategic thinking?