Preparing for my first session as GM

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mars

Re: Preparing for my first session as GM

Post by Mars »

Boggo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:43 am It is, no matter what armour is worn the Dex mod applies, even NO armour, UNLESS they are surprised, and then the dex bonus does not apply during the round they are surprised.

ps. I've never played or even heard of a game that only applies dex bonus' to Leather armour and not metal armour, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it's an odd rule.

Drama from dealing with floor traps if you need to flee, is actually kinda fun, unless the players are panicking (the players not the characters) it can be a great example of thinking outside the box (either that or calamity ;) )
Thank you for the confirmation regarding Dex mods and armor, Boggo. I wonder if the dex mod only applying to leather is something I stumbled across in later editions of DnD. To me it makes a kind of sense--with the weight of metal weighing you down (and the stiffness of plate) I'd imagine you wouldn't be as able to benefit from your agility--but it does complicate things a bit.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

People in chainmail and plate armor are more agile than you'd think. Only jousting and tournament armors are that limiting.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

actually one of my players is friends with the (last I heard anyway) world jousting champion (I laugh every time I hear that phrase) and I've seen video of him nipping back up to his feet from prone in his jousting armour (nipping is kicking your legs up and hopping to your haunches and standing by swinging your arms, think Bruce Lee) Jousting armour is like a lot of other armours designed to allow you to move easily, it does limit your movement, but even the heavy stuff is remarkably easy to move in. Apparently it's not uncommon as victory celebrations to leap from the saddle
No matter where you go...there you are
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Mars wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 am
Boggo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:43 am It is, no matter what armour is worn the Dex mod applies, even NO armour, UNLESS they are surprised, and then the dex bonus does not apply during the round they are surprised.

ps. I've never played or even heard of a game that only applies dex bonus' to Leather armour and not metal armour, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it's an odd rule.

Drama from dealing with floor traps if you need to flee, is actually kinda fun, unless the players are panicking (the players not the characters) it can be a great example of thinking outside the box (either that or calamity ;) )
Thank you for the confirmation regarding Dex mods and armor, Boggo. I wonder if the dex mod only applying to leather is something I stumbled across in later editions of DnD. To me it makes a kind of sense--with the weight of metal weighing you down (and the stiffness of plate) I'd imagine you wouldn't be as able to benefit from your agility--but it does complicate things a bit.
Armour that prevents you dodging is armour that will kill you, two of my players are heavies in the SCA (that means they fight in SCA tournaments in heavy armour) and dodging and shield are actually the primary defence according to them, the armour is the backstop because the enemy will ALWAYS be attacking the weak spot
No matter where you go...there you are
Mars

Post by Mars »

Good points, Solomoriah and Boggo. Thank you.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:21 am People in chainmail and plate armor are more agile than you'd think. Only jousting and tournament armors are that limiting.
Funny you should mention that. A close friend shared this video with me recently and we were both blown away by how agile one can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's heavy... it will wear you out. But well-made armor isn't all that restrictive.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Mars wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 am I wonder if the dex mod only applying to leather is something I stumbled across in later editions of DnD.
D&D 3.x does limits the max DEX bonus a character can use while wearing some armors.
5e limits DEX on med armors and no DEX bonus on heavy ones.
But I think they do this just to limit the overall AC value.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
RamsHornStudios

Post by RamsHornStudios »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:47 am It's heavy... it will wear you out. But well-made armor isn't all that restrictive.
I've got a hardened leather cuirass with attached pauldrons and I can definitely move pretty well in it but Solo is right, I can fight in it for maybe 15-30 minutes before I'm exhausted and need a short rest. :lol:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Of course, if you did that on a daily or even weekly basis, you'd get tougher.