It happened: OGL 1.0a remains untouched!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: It happened: OGL 1.0a remains untouched!

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't want them to be the same kind at all, Boggo. They need a little distance.

... Dimi... what am I going to do with you?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 pm Kobold, Ballchaser
this could be quite bad, just saying, they're the correct height...
No matter where you go...there you are
leon

Post by leon »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 pm There are 2 kind of Kobolds
Kobold, Silvereater
Kobold, Ballchaser
OK, this is funny, but how about...

Kobolds, Repensan -- aka common kobolds with reptilian features
Kobolds, Caninan -- aka dog-faced, furry kobolds
Kobolds, Argentan -- aka silvereaters, blue skin, etc
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

leon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 pm
Dimirag wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 pm There are 2 kind of Kobolds
Kobold, Silvereater
Kobold, Ballchaser
OK, this is funny, but how about...

Kobolds, Repensan -- aka common kobolds with reptilian features
Kobolds, Caninan -- aka dog-faced, furry kobolds
Kobolds, Argentan -- aka silvereaters, blue skin, etc
that kinda works, something RPG's have always sort of missed is that monster names aren't specific like animal names CAN be, a Troll in Norse Mythology could be anything from what is commonly called in games a Dwarf through to what in D&D terms is a Frost Giant, so I do kinda like the idea of this
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Late to the party, but I have to side with Solomoriah.

I really like the creatures that have been created and we should totally keep them, but I also think that we need to leverage the new 5.1 SRD under CC as much as we can. Basic Fantasy is after all a clone of the original game and in my personal opinion, it should try to be as faithful as possible.

Cross compatibility with the original game, but also with other OSR systems is a major factor for me, but also for many people that play BFRPG. My fear, if we diverge too much is that we might lose that compatibility and get in the way of compatibility with older TSR-era modules and all these other amazing modules and supplements put out by the OSR community.

So I firmly believe that we should ditch the OGL for good and use the 5.1 SRD as much a we can to replicate the basic and expert edition look and feel.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

but 5.1 bears little to no resemblance to the original game bar the name, or even the 2nd generation one BFRPG is emulating.

And none of the changes made previously make using old D&D modules any harder, the mechanics of BFRPG are the same, reversing the change on Magic Missile seems safe to me as I don't think it was every really protectible but most of the changes I'm aware of I would consider improvements rather than just renames re-skins
Last edited by Boggo on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 pm What would you guys think about taking the horned version of RamsHorn's kobold the "standard" kobold? Horned, dog-headed but not reptilian keeps us clean, and lots of people liked that depiction.
I love Gabe's work, but I do prefer RamHorn's kobold as one I would actually kill.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Boggo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 pm but 5.1 bears little to no resemblance to the original game bar the name, or even the 2nd generation one BFRPG is emulating.

And none of the changes made previously make using old D&D modules any harder, the mechanics of BFRPG are the same, reversing the change on Magic Missile seems safe to me as I don't think it was every really protectible but most of the changes I'm aware of I would consider improvements rather than just renames re-skins
I get that mechanically it is pretty much the same. What puts me off however is having to figure out that Magic Dart is now Magic Missile, or that a Rust Monster is now a Corroder. It might seem trivial, but this is what made the success of BFRPG, being able to play the original game with just a few house rules thrown in.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm
Boggo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 pm but 5.1 bears little to no resemblance to the original game bar the name, or even the 2nd generation one BFRPG is emulating.

I get that mechanically it is pretty much the same. What puts me off however is having to figure out that Magic Dart is now Magic Missile, or that a Rust Monster is now a Corroder. It might seem trivial, but this is what made the success of BFRPG, being able to play the original game with just a few house rules thrown in.
ok, though personally if I was going to play an old D&D module, I'd use the matching rules, but I think in my entire life I've run less than 5 published modules of any description, so my view is completely different
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Except for the dragons and jellies, it looks like the traditional names are winning the polls.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org