The Great Dragon Question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.

How should we describe dragons?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 pm

Terrain First: Mountain Dragon (Red Dragon)
49%
Color First: Red Dragon (Mountain Dragon)
21%
Only Terrain: Mountain Dragon
26%
Only Color: Red Dragon
5%

Total votes: 43
mtodd

Re: The Great Dragon Question

Post by mtodd »

Gotta admit, I kinda like both! Imagine the possibilities of re-combining color and terrain to befuddle players! Red Desert Dragons, Blue Mountain Dragons, Silver Swamp Dragons...more dragons, moar better!
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I voted for terrain only but I see the merit of also including the color in parentheses.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Either way with both colour and terrain works for me.

This is a good compromise. We don't lose any new content we've created and maintain compatibility with legacy modules and other OSR modules/supplements.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

gabeprime wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:16 pm I voted for terrain only but I see the merit of also including the color in parentheses.
I chose that latter option. My old brain appreciates those translations to the 80s names.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:16 pm This is a good compromise. We don't lose any new content we've created and maintain compatibility with legacy modules and other OSR modules/supplements.
This is a large part of my concern here, to be honest, but considering the strong opinions everyone seemed to have I thought a poll was the best way forward.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

toddlyons wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm
gabeprime wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:16 pm I voted for terrain only but I see the merit of also including the color in parentheses.
I chose that latter option. My old brain appreciates those translations to the 80s names.
70's 1971 to be exact !
No matter where you go...there you are
miqued

Post by miqued »

I like the terrain-based names, even though I didn't at first, but there's a reason I've changed my mind now. For the core rules, it's often said that lots of optional rules are not included to keep players from saying "see, it's in the rules, so I can use it".

In a similar way, naming them by terrain means there could theoretically be a red tundra dragon or a brown swamp dragon, without players feeling cheated or tricked.
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

miqued wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:29 pm In a similar way, naming them by terrain means there could theoretically be a red tundra dragon or a brown swamp dragon, without players feeling cheated or tricked.
200% this! and that is how I'm playing no matter what the decision here, I haven't liked the colour spectrum for dragons for a very long time, not hated it, but never seen much sense in it.
No matter where you go...there you are
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Boggo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 pm
toddlyons wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm
70's 1971 to be exact !
True, technically. But I meant the names used in that 1981 system I loved. That same system also used the terrains as descriptions, which makes the "new" names mostly familiar, but I do appreciate keeping the colours in there.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have to admit to some surprise here. I hadn't expected the terrain names to be so popular.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org