Why is bullette pronounced like that?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
miqued

Why is bullette pronounced like that?

Post by miqued »

Alternatively: why is it spelled like that?

"Boo-lay". It's clear what to call this land shark, but it's unclear to me how it got its spelling. I've called them bull-etts for as long as I've known about them, having only ever read the word before in either the "Manual" or the "Folio", I forget which. Which came first, the pronunciation or the spelling? Who's the big cheese that said "my lasting legacy shall forthwith be, and I declare, we shall give this monster a soft-ending name and a hard-ending spelling!"? I can't be the only one who's had this question...

I'm partially joking, in the sense that I'm acting a bit dramatic about it on purpose, but it's a serious question. Where'd the name sound/spelling dissonance (at least as perceived by me) come from?
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
LibraryLass

Re: Why is bullette pronounced like that?

Post by LibraryLass »

miqued wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:17 pm Alternatively: why is it spelled like that?

"Boo-lay". It's clear what to call this land shark, but it's unclear to me how it got its spelling. I've called them bull-etts for as long as I've known about them, having only ever read the word before in either the "Manual" or the "Folio", I forget which. Which came first, the pronunciation or the spelling? Who's the big cheese that said "my lasting legacy shall forthwith be, and I declare, we shall give this monster a soft-ending name and a hard-ending spelling!"? I can't be the only one who's had this question...

I'm partially joking, in the sense that I'm acting a bit dramatic about it on purpose, but it's a serious question. Where'd the name sound/spelling dissonance (at least as perceived by me) come from?
Because Gary thought that was how French worked and he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.
miqued

Post by miqued »

Well, at least then the way I imagined it happening is probably not far from how it actually went. LOL
miqued wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:17 pm ... "my lasting legacy shall forthwith be, and I declare, we shall give this monster a soft-ending name and a hard-ending spelling!"
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Well, since Gary Gygax invented the monster the name and the pronunciation, I think we should blame Dave Arneson since it's more than likely he did and Gary stole the glory
No matter where you go...there you are
Mars

Post by Mars »

Boggo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:23 am Well, since Gary Gygax invented the monster the name and the pronunciation, I think we should blame Dave Arneson since it's more than likely he did and Gary stole the glory
:lol:
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

OH! it was neither, it was Tim Kask!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kask
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

miqued wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:17 pm Alternatively: why is it spelled like that?

"Boo-lay".
I guess Tim Kask liked the look of French, but didn't understand how to match spellings with pronunciations. He probably should have asked around. And his editor(s) dropped the ball, too.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

toddlyons wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:43 am

"Boo-lay".
I guess Tim Kask liked the look of French, but didn't understand how to match spellings with pronunciations. He probably should have asked around. And his editor(s) dropped the ball, too.
lol Tim WAS the editor :D

though that pronunciation was from the Monstrous Manual (2e) so everyone who was actually playing when it was introduced wasn't actually there anymore...
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Boggo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:09 am lol Tim WAS the editor :D
The pitfalls of editors who edit themselves. It's about as effective as lawyers who represent themselves in their own criminal trials. When you know everything, who needs outside advice?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Never really looked like French to me.

There is no such word in French. Bulle means bubble and ette tends to mean little.
It sure ain't no little bubble.

In French, name often ends with a silent letter which people tend to pronounce when they anglicize. Bouchard, for example.

In English, you got Bull, which is already more suggestive.
Also, bullet, which is lethal enough, but suggest speed.

In German, bulette is a meatball which is interesting.