Module Inspirations

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Artanisace

Re: Module Inspirations

Post by Artanisace »

S2, White Plume Mountain.

The idea of a 'funhouse' dungeon is great. I'm actually creating my own funhouse adventure. Never played this module (although I intend to), but would be great if there could be some BFRPG adventure inspired by it.
Last edited by Artanisace on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Something like Night's Dark Terror needs to be done.

I would love to see another anthology that was based upon wilderness adventures. It would be great to see how that others pull off wilderness adventures.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Seven wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:39 pm I6 Ravenloft

The whole concept of a Barony in its own pocket universe ruled by a Dracula wannabee is awesome. Also the castle was impressive.
I'm currently running Coldarius and it reminds me of Ravenloft.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

X2 Castle Amber...that was a fun one.
Muze

Post by Muze »

I would personally love to see a BFRPG mega dungeon like Castle Greyhawk, Stonehell, Borrowmaze or even a personal favorite of mine the Dyson delves mini mega dungeon. That is my 2 cents.

I all so second the idea of an anthology of wilderness adventures.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Megadungeon? Ruby Mountain. Anyone who wants to work on expanding it is welcome to jump in.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/forums/vie ... ?f=19&t=34
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I’m thinking it would be great to have a Gazetteer style series of modules like the Grand Duchy of Karameikos.

But for BFRPG, it would be like a Gazetteer for the Western Lands.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I hate gazetteers with the passion of a million exploding stars.

Okay, maybe a thousand.

Long, overly detailed, with information you will likely never use if you can remember it in the first place. I tried to build my world that way years ago, and I'll never get that time back.

My opinion, naturally. But gazetteers are up there with house rules compilations as something I don't care to have on the Downloads page.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

That’s fair. I’ve got a few gazetteers and even the Forgotten Realms Adventures book for 2nd Ed. I liked skimming through them but never actually read through all of it nor actually used it in any of my games. ;)
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
borgar

Post by borgar »

I like gazetteers and really fell in love with the D&D Mystara gazetteers when they came out (I have all of them). However, on closer analysis I think I like to read them as literature (I like world building stuff) and for inspiration (be it characters, locations, plots or cultures).

I have run various campaigns both in homebrew and published settings with various degrees of success. Trying to run anything remotely matching up with an detailed setting is futile for most of us and will soon become a straight jacket. Just placing non-setting adventures can become a chore if you want the setting to be consistent. While in a homebrew campaing that grow organically you can mostly place the adventure in the next valley or country since neither you nor the players have any idea what is there yet anyway.

On a related note I also have some of the same feeling with the newer 5E adventures. I have bought some of the newer adventure books but I suspect I will never run them. They are just way to large for me to manage. I highly prefer the shorter (which are still not necessarily that short) adventures where I can actually manage to remember most characters and locations during play.

BTW, very few of my players have been even half as interested in the setting details as I am. It is mostly a handicap for me that I would like to have a fairly well defined and consistent setting. When I make adventures I tend to force myself to keep this to a minimum.