Module Inspirations

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Module Inspirations

Post by SmootRK »

BFRPG is all about that retro feel. Several of the adventures presented for download are nostalgic or inspired by some of the older modules. This thread is about special requests for new modules... what are your favorite old-school modules? Which ones could use a BF homage? I am not saying to copy stuff, or a simple conversion document, but to inspire folks to take some old ideas, and put together new adventures that clearly take on the same feel. This was recently done in the Chaotic Caves, and I think it demonstrates the sort of work I would love to see more of.

Seeing a 'Fear Island' (Isle of Dread) would be extremely cool
another cool idea would be a new take on Against the Giants (another of my all time favorites).

So what would be a great project to take on? What inspires you?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
jdn2006

Re: Module Inspirations

Post by jdn2006 »

I'd like to see Fear Island.

The Isle of Dread led me to try to sketch interesting islands to sail around and explore. To have something that was unique and not just a swipe. For the curious, they are in my Photobucket map folder (they need lots of work to be useful):

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr350/jdn_art/Maps/

The Planet of the Apes led to the idea of an island inhabited by intelligent monkeys and apes. Didn't get very far -- the task was daunting. Not that lost worlds inhabitaed by spear-chucking humans and prehistoric critters is a bad idea...

If someone wanted to try to build a collaborative island adventure, I'd certainly try to contribute something.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not based on anything previous, but I'm considering a collaborative module titled "Tombs of Nol." It would be like the real-life Valley of the Kings in Egypt, with a variety of unconnected tombs with deadly traps and nasty monsters. They would vary in difficulty, with the tougher tombs better hidden. Some would have been partially or completely despoiled by looters, others untouched.

Still planning it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

With all these different modules being created, would it be worthwhile to try to make them all the same world (like mystara). The western lands does have a lot of water out there. Maybe we could come up with a general world name and try to give some relationship between The Western Lands and BF2 and BF3 (they aren't part of the western lands, are they?)
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

I'm gearing up to tackle Fear Island though I was leaning toward Skull Island. I need a giant carnivorous ape, some dinosaurs and some jungle random encounter tables. I'm thinking of a half dozen set-piece encounters, a native village, a lizard man village, some ruins and a ruined temple. The majority of the module will be avoiding the too powerful encounters and making it to the temple to turn off an evil artifact. Possible side adventures include female party members kidnapped by the giant ape and some pirates.
I was thinking of putting it near Pirate Island on the Western Lands map.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

All very cool ideas. Skull Island would a very acceptable name... as I only put Fear Island as a direct analogy to 'Isle of Dread'. Anything that brings natives, pirates, dinosaurs, giant apes, and ancient temples together is bound to be a great time!

A communal/collaborative world to roughly fit the adventures into would be a great idea, although I don't think anyone should feel constrained to make their adventures fit... write as one would like to, and perhaps add an appendix that makes a few suggestions on where/how it might fit into such world.

I am a big fan of Ancient Egyptian stuff, so I look forward to what you (Solo) come up with there.

I am thinking of putting together a few ideas for a homage to Against the Giants. I saw a thread somewhere about a Frost Giant lair on a floating iceberg, so that might serve as a idea-starter... perhaps leading to a Cloud Giant castle on an actual cloud (perhaps an old idea, but it has merits).
koga305

Post by koga305 »

I am thinking of putting together a few ideas for a homage to Against the Giants. I saw a thread somewhere about a Frost Giant lair on a floating iceberg, so that might serve as a idea-starter... perhaps leading to a Cloud Giant castle on an actual cloud (perhaps an old idea, but it has merits).
That was me on DF... see The Thare Campaign. It isn't Frost Giants, but rather "frost humans"... however, that would be a good idea.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:With all these different modules being created, would it be worthwhile to try to make them all the same world (like mystara). The western lands does have a lot of water out there. Maybe we could come up with a general world name and try to give some relationship between The Western Lands and BF2 and BF3 (they aren't part of the western lands, are they?)
BF2 contains adventures I ran as part of my Glain campaign; BF3 contains adventures from my Nevermore campaign. All are adequately generic to transfer from world to world.

I'm particularly proud of Fortress of the Iron Duke... I'd love to hear if anyone else has ever used it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

koga305 wrote:
That was me on DF... see The Thare Campaign. It isn't Frost Giants, but rather "frost humans"... however, that would be a good idea.
Perhaps that is it; I cannot recall exactly when/where I am remembering from. A citadel that freely moves about the arctic waters seems like a nice idea though? eh?
koga305

Post by koga305 »

SmootRK wrote:
koga305 wrote:
Perhaps that is it; I cannot recall exactly when/where I am remembering from. A citadel that freely moves about the arctic waters seems like a nice idea though? eh?
I was thinking of it as a flying iceberg, but I suppose floating could work.