First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

Post by SmootRK »

Urieal wrote:What about just allowing the Cleric to create scrolls at 1st level? It's a great way for your spellcasters to burn cash, and instead of having to spend your slots on healing spells, or changing the rules, you can just carry around scrolls.

250 × spell level × caster level for scroll creation.

So...you want a 1st level CLW spell, 250 gold. You want it to function @ 2nd level potency? That's 500 gp. and so on...

It's not perfect, but it's something.
Allowing low level scrolls is fine by me (or perhaps this can be re-directed to be via holy water). That said, this whole thread follows on the heels of Solo's thread about the idea to remove "cure" spells altogether (and instead giving healing as a Laying Hands sort of ability separate from spells - idea is to encourage (force) clerics to utilize other spell options). My corollary on this is to build in mechanisms for healing beyond that of CLW/CSW and to spread those mechanisms out to the other characters.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I long time ago I toyed with the idea of modifying the healing rules. Sadly I never finished it... the idea was to divide healing based on the hp left. Characters with 99/75% of hp can heal that amount after a short rest. Those with other percentages uses different healing times.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Okay, I'm coming really late to this discussion. I happen to think that healing should be a mechanic separate from magic altogether. For instance, a Priest would have a form of healing where he "lay hands" on the one being healed, and depends on his deity to do the healing. Whereas the MU would use a magic spell (or cantrip) to do the same thing. The Fighter, Theif and others would use a "first aid" ability. The "lay hands" ability would be akin to the special skill the Paladin has. This would open Clerics up to the other aspects of the character (such as being the bad ass undead slayer ala Solomon Kane).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Speaking of Solomon Kane. Netflix just got the Solomon Kane movie into the lineup (foreign-made and never found a dvd release here in the states). Don't know about the quality, but I have been waiting to give it try for a long time.

And, I have read the Solomon Kane stories now... I love these. Gritty fighting against dangerous and even supernatural foes, voodoo/african shaman type dudes, etc. What is not to like!?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

that's the one with James Purefoy.. I liked it.. I always think of Solomon Kane when I picture the Pathfinder Inquisitor class.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

shadowmane wrote:Okay, I'm coming really late to this discussion. I happen to think that healing should be a mechanic separate from magic altogether. For instance, a Priest would have a form of healing where he "lay hands" on the one being healed, and depends on his deity to do the healing. Whereas the MU would use a magic spell (or cantrip) to do the same thing. The Fighter, Theif and others would use a "first aid" ability. The "lay hands" ability would be akin to the special skill the Paladin has. This would open Clerics up to the other aspects of the character (such as being the bad ass undead slayer ala Solomon Kane).
This is very close to my goal concept (though I did not exactly reach it in my mechanisms described above). Each class has a mechanism for healing a small amount (cleric having the special extra Lay Hands ability - see Solo's thread), with each healing a similar amount... only using different "skins" to describe the effect.
Druid, Ranger or Barbarian types might be skinned as Herbalism Ability (in conjunction with First Aid)
MU might be utilizing "alchemy" techniques
etc.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

dymondy2k wrote:that's the one with James Purefoy.. I liked it.. I always think of Solomon Kane when I picture the Pathfinder Inquisitor class.
Thinking we will be watching this tonight... is it relatively kid-safe?
(other than the fighting stuff which I know is in there... Braveheart, Gladiator, etc. have all been OK on our kids - I know bad bad daddy).
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

dymondy2k wrote:that's the one with James Purefoy.. I liked it.. I always think of Solomon Kane when I picture the Pathfinder Inquisitor class.
It's the hat.
Go with a smile!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Friday the 13 and with full moon... time for some necromancy!

I'm toying with the following base idea for non-magical first aid healing:

Each time a character is healed they recover HP equal to a roll of their HD.
The amount of times a character can be healed can vary on GM taste, some possibilities:
-Once per day.
-Once per battle. A character can't gain more points than those lost in the battle.
-Once per wound. A character can't gain more points than those lost in the wound healed.

First Aid takes times and supplies, be it a fixed period or a variable one (either random or based on the damage healed or to heal).

First Aiding Oneself
Characters can heal themselves but they use a die lesser.

First Aid Knowledge
Every class knows how to apply first aid as they are adventurers, but some classes have a better training:
Fighters can heal themselves with no dice shift, they are used to pain.
Clerics always heals with a better dice (this means one higher dice for everyone and no shift for him) as healing is part of their training. They can diseases and poisoning allowing a second save with a +2 bonus.
Thieves can treat poisoning as clerics but with no bonus.
Magic Users can do something that I have yet to think about...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

This is a great idea and i think it can help our party tremendously as we have no cleric and at our level, potions of healing are extortionately expensive and quite rare. thankyou for posting this here it is potentialy a valued addition to our house rules.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."