Very sorry

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Nightwulf

Very sorry

Post by Nightwulf »

Well ever since my tablet crashed I've lost the rules for BFRPG but I went and got the D&D starter set I'm using D&D as a test to see if my siblings will like RPGs before I buy the BFRPG rules 8-)
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SmootRK

Re: Very sorry

Post by SmootRK »

Where is my torch and pitchfork! ;)

You know the thing is, all such role-play is good fun. Once they have a taste, then you can steer them into the system that works best for all (hopefully meaning BFRPG :shock: )
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Urieal

Post by Urieal »

What exactly do you mean by "D&D Starter Set"?
Please tell me it wasn't this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons- ... 0786948205

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons- ... pd_sim_b_3

Those are 4E products, and should be shunned ;) (unless 4E is your bag...but your probably not on these forums if 4E is your thing)
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Urieal wrote:your probably not on these forums if 4E is your thing
I dunno, I seem to do okay here.
Urieal

Post by Urieal »

LibraryLass wrote:
Urieal wrote:your probably not on these forums if 4E is your thing
I dunno, I seem to do okay here.
Don't take it personally, Lass. The word 'probably' is there for a reason.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I have played most of the editions and I have to say 4E is the only one where I just couldn't like it, as much as I tried. It totally falls apart at higher levels.. becomes pretty much unplayable.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't have any real experience with 4e. I picked up the PHB for it, but have never gotten past reading a few sections, much less played using the rules. I would probably try it out if a game materialized for me, but otherwise would not bother with the game... just does not seem like my style.

When it comes to D&D editions, I have tried everything else at least a little. I like 2nd edition very much because it feels like a cleaned up version of 1e, which I like as well.... but these days I like stuff just a bit more simple to play and write for (than even 1e/2e). The Oe or S&W editions strip out a bit too much for my tastes. There is a happy medium that I like to work with, meaning B/X or BECMI work better. That said, each of those games has some wonkiness that make it hard for me to use directly... talking Race as Class, Weird level limits and then odd mechanisms for going beyond those limits (for races), High level "special classes" like Knight, Druid, etc. which in my mind ought to be available at first level, and more when one takes into account the companion and immortals stuff.

Because of these things, BFRPG just fits best for me. If BFRPG did not exist, I would likely be playing some sort of Labyrinth Lord or near editions... but it would be houseruled even more radically than I houserule the BFRPG rules (which really is not that extreme - mostly just add-ons in my house-rules). BFRPG is in that Sweet Spot; easy to play with, easy to write for, easy to mold just slightly to get what I want out of it.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

my Dad told me not to go with the 4e so I MIGHT try the 3.5e but I have very limited experience with DnD so what version do you think is best :?: :?: :?:

Urieal:The set I got was in the red box I'm going to run though that little adventure
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Also where can I get the books without having to sell my self into slavery :lol: ??
~Welcome To Night Vale
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

3.5 is the Master's Level D&D. A thousand and one fiddly bits and options. It wouldn't be my first choice for breaking in new gamers.

...unless you come at it from a quick-start perspective. Have them take the class starter packages, and be done by level 6.
Go with a smile!