Magic-User Spell Acquisition

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
dymondy2k

Re: Magic-User Spell Acquisition

Post by dymondy2k »

MedievalMan wrote:I wish I had half the creative zeal I had only a year ago. An all things dragon and an all things guilds/temples/universities would be fun to work on.

Wonder whats wrong with my creative mojo these days...
I think our creative juices ebb and flow.. I know I seem to be more creative during the winter and less so when its warmer.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

The original post by JoeCarr28 and Dimirag's response pin down my latest issue.
I cannot determine any real difference between each paragraph.
Despite reading both entries repeatedly I am still unable to separate these two paragraphs in any meaningful way. The latest edition of printed Core Rules 3e, part 8 Game Master Information: Acquisition of Spells p 151 para 3 and 4 mainly. Still basically the same as 2013.

"learn new spells" leads para 3 and "add a new spell" leads para 4. Not being a particularly logical reader I'm unable to separate these paragraphs as two different things. I cannot see the differences still, despite Dimirag's explanation, it still just feels like a repetition to me.

If the first paragraph refers to a MU's personal tutor/mentor and the second paragraph refers to a "hired" tutor then the rules would probably be enhanced be being this explicit. To me those two paragraphs are too close that they just seem to be repeating the same words and meaning.
Hopefully someone can unravel this in a way I can understand?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Paragraph 3 "How a MU learns a spell" points:
A MU can learn spells:
1 - By being taught
1.1 - Takes one day
1.2 - Cost 500gp per spell level to scribe on the MU's spellbook
2 - By studying a spellbook
2.1 - Takes a day per spell level
2.2 - Cost 500gp per spell level to scribe on the MU's spellbook

Paragraph 4 "How a MU acquires the spell he or she wishes to learn" points:
The MU:
1 - May learn a spells at any point.
1.2 - Said Spell must be of a Level that the MU can cast.
2 - Requires a source for the spell:
2.1 - A teacher (uses Paragraph 3 point 1)
2.1.1 - The original master will do it for free or for a task if in good relationship.
2.1.2 - Other MU may:
2.1.2.1 - Agree on spell exchange.
2.1.2.2 - Charge a fee (100-1000 gp per spell level)
2.2 - A reference work (spellbook) (uses Paragraph 3 point 2)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Thanks for going further on this Dimirag.
Those two paragraphs, as written, are certainly not as clear as your bullet points.
The first one stands well on it's own but the second seems to confuse the first with several mentions of other magic-users. It isn't as easy to follow as your bullet points.
Regardless of my view on the text, I think I've got my tiny brain up to speed. I do have one point to clarify though.
Para 4 point 1, "may learn a spell at any point".
This means a 1st level magic-user can learn and transcribe into their spell book all level one spells. As long as they can afford the 500g per spell level, find their master and his spell book, or another MU to trade spells with or to learn from with additional cost. This could be done one spell every day for a week, for example.
But even if they have eight level one spells in their spell book, they could cast only one of those spells per day?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Dyl wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:47 am This means a 1st level magic-user can learn and transcribe into their spell book all level one spells. As long as they can afford the 500g per spell level, find their master and his spell book, or another MU to trade spells with or to learn from with additional cost. This could be done one spell every day for a week, for example.
But even if they have eight level one spells in their spell book, they could cast only one of those spells per day?
Exactly, the MU' level only indicates how many spell of each level can be prepared, how many spells can the MU actually have its a matter of time, money and acquiring a source.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Got it! Thank you Dimirag.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for breaking this down, Dimirag. Sorry that my original text was hard to read... I really had to work to keep it all on the page, and perhaps that harmed the text.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

I must admit I was stumped. If I was more aware of the original rules I don't think it would have troubled me so much. I'm fixing that, over time.
Iron Falcon is helping me a lot as I'm having to understand the principle behind a slightly different rule set.
Solo, apology unwarranted, these rules are exceptional. I always have issues reading rules, it's a lifelong thing, but when you're stuck, you are stuck.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To be fair, this part of the rules is pretty much the first thing to get house ruled in many games. Nothing at all wrong with that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org