Ability Rolls

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
entr0py

Re: Ability Rolls

Post by entr0py »

I've had success using the "Target20 roll" (1d20+ability+level >= 20 is success; a 1 always fails) although this makes success chances level dependent so it won't be right for everyone...

I've never tried this, but it would be simple enough to implement.
I've often toyed with the idea of making a difficult skill check successful, if an average character rolls a "6" on 1d6. Then each relevant ability modifier will add/subtract another 1d6 to the roll. This gives a character with a relevant ability score of 18, 4 dice with which to roll a 6, granting nearly a 50% (51.775%) success chance... i like how this works out mathematically.
Easier checks can be challenged as, "roll a 5 or 6", using the same mechanic.
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

entr0py that is actually a pretty neat idea. I am going to run this past my group and get their thoughts on it.

Additional thought:
For those who want some evidence of 'higher levels would have experience' and help them do things, how about this? For level evenly divided by 6 (relating it back to the die), add another die to the roll. So at 6th level, you add another die, 12 another, etc.

You could even go with something lower if you wanted experience to come into play - simply say every 3 levels you gain another die. At 9th level you would roll 4 die on ability checks. Personally I do not see an issue with a 9th level character having a 50% chance of being successful at an ability check.

EDIT - I have added some additional thoughts on this topic on my blog:
http://www.msjx.org/2016/07/easy-skill- ... hecks.html
Last edited by mattjackson on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt jackson
http://www.msjx.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I would not remove dice due to a negative modifier as it would not affect the roll unless you add extra dice from outside sources, if using a level-based dice it will be ok.

Maybe adding a "negative" dice to the roll? Each ND means you roll and extra die but also require an extra success.

I prefer a roll of 4+ (50% chance) to do "normal" stuff for a +0 mod character.

Level-Based Dice: I like the idea, I would use different progressions for things that are related to the class and for those that don't. Maybe humans can use a faster rate to show their greater learning and development gifts.

Here is something I just thought:
kind of a skill system.png
kind of a skill system.png (61.54 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
entr0py

Post by entr0py »

For anyone curious in the math behind the d6 mechanic the formula for success percentage is:
1-(5/6)^(?d6)
(that is 5/6 raised to the power of the number of dice.)

Its actually easier roll the dice and look for a six than it is to calculate the odds... :D

EDIT: I've actually started calling this mechanic a "SIXess" roll in my group. Hopefully it catches on...
Last edited by entr0py on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longman

Post by Longman »

- Use the target numbers from the core rules, d20, roll high. 17 is 'hard' at 1st level.
- Add ability bonus.
- Give characters "background skills" which allow a +5 bonus in a particular area (boating, riding, etc).
- Only ask for a roll when the task is hard (target 17 at 1st level) or really hard (target 22 at 1st level).
- Give new background skills at 3rd, 6th, 10th, 15th, etc.

I think the chance should be level dependent. Realistically, a 10th level wizard might not be any better at swimming than a 1st level one. They might even be worse. But, I think it's in the spirit of fantasy books and films that well established heroic characters always seem to get out of tricky situations and have a kind of hidden strength in a crisis, so, that should be reflected in the mechanics somehow.