Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

jcm

Re: Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

Post by jcm »

I vote we go with the core classes, but again that's only because I'd like to gain familiarity with them first.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd be interested in playing in this one. I'd like to use my human fighter Moziah, if that's okay.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

core is fine with me.
Solomoriah is fine with me.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Joe the Rat wrote:Waiting on class feedback. This is one that I really want to get settled before we start putting together. See, we could just start with the basics, and add extras as we move along, but that pretty much says "you will want to change your character at the next shift change," which sort of defeats the continuity concept.

Personally, I'd love to go the Quasi-class route for things like barbarians, bards, and such. Problem is, there aren't Q-class options to cover all of the alternates - rangers, for instance. My solution for that would be to play with Backgrounds and Specialties to try and pick up the difference. Fighter + "tracker" background + (lightly armored OR dead eye OR two-weapon fighting) = pretty close to what a ranger does. Do the same from thief, you've got a Scout. The specialties side doesn't kick in until level 3, so that bridge would still be ahead of us.

Okay, so I guess my first question is: Do we want to set everything now, or vote on individual classes as they're brought up?
Things are always going to come up after the fact. I get the feeling that there is a Quasi-class that you are thinking of playing if/when you jump in as a player. If there's something that you would like to see added then by all means put it in.

I agree with Hyway that the first DM should set the direction of the game and add what they want. As players we can discuss things if someone has a problem with something but otherwise it's your call.

Personally, I don't see myself rolling up a quasi-class but that might change once I get a little more information about the game, setting, etc. too. I appreciate the fact that you want to nail some of these details down but in the end I still say it's up to you.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Geez, talk about pressure. Feel free to hop in, Solo. Xav, are you still interested?
Blazeguard wrote:Things are always going to come up after the fact. I get the feeling that there is a Quasi-class that you are thinking of playing if/when you jump in as a player. If there's something that you would like to see added then by all means put it in.

I agree with Hyway that the first DM should set the direction of the game and add what they want. As players we can discuss things if someone has a problem with something but otherwise it's your call.

Personally, I don't see myself rolling up a quasi-class but that might change once I get a little more information about the game, setting, etc. too. I appreciate the fact that you want to nail some of these details down but in the end I still say it's up to you.
Nah, I'm fairly vanilla when it comes to class selection, though I do enjoy a good hybrid. I just get weird when it comes to the actual concepts.

I'm going to put down "Core+" for now, classwise. If someone really has a hankering for something outside, we'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. I'll work up a house rule list, and we can take shots at it.

Setting: Since we're planning to be a little patchwork, I'm thinking something fairly standard style-wise, with a "points-of-light" type setting. Villages and holdings and fiefdoms dotting the adventure zone, with lots of monsters and marauding humanoids and the like in between.

I'm going to borrow a little from the Grand Marches proposal - the idea of there being some ancient civilization(s) responsible for many of the dungeons and magical wonders that everyone is after, and may have left some dangerous remnants of whatever made them disappear. More than a few wars have been fought through here, which explains the odd mix of settlers, empty lands, not-quite-as-ancient ruins, and why such obviously elven secret fortifications are found in what appear to be primarily human-settled lands. That kind of thing. I'd be happy to lay out all sorts of cultures and faiths and whatnot, but I figure you folks can cook something up on your own. I'm going to say "you can be from as far out there as you like" - local lad done good after clearing the evil wizard Garble out of some local ruins, strange drifter from a distant kingdom searching for someone or something, adventurer tombrob- er, archaeologist, world-hopping traveler who managed to crash his manaclipper/do an emergency warp slide/lose his portal key and got stuck here.

Character Generation: Does anyone have a preference between rolling and score arrays? I have a "mildly heroic" score list (+3 total bonuses) I was planning on using, but I'm happy to roll out a bunch of numbers for everyone, if you're feeling lucky.

Starting experience: Is anyone dying to start from square one? Or start dying from square one? I was thinking of starting at 3,000.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

just lay out what you want and we will go with it.

The way I see this is that we really aren't doing anything different from a normal gain other than agreeing at the beginning that if the DM leaves one of us will take over. Thats why I suggested we all roll 1d20 now and set an order now for who will take over next.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Hywaywolf wrote:just lay out what you want and we will go with it.
Yes, please. :D
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Alrighty then. Here's what I'm thinking about. I've tossed in a few house rulings to look at - if you don't like something, we can vote it out. You can also get this in word format ('cause I'm evil) here: http://db.tt/1PVjo5QN

Setting Notes – The Wildlands
The Wildlands are an old and storied region, far west of the major kingdoms of the Known Lands. In ages past, it was the home of powerful and majestic kingdoms, full of wonder and great magics. These kingdoms are long since disappeared, destroyed in some war or magical cataclysm. All that remains of these civilizations are hidden dungeons – underground ruins and mysterious catacombs scattered across the lands. The treasures rumored to lie within have brought treasure seekers and tyrants, monarchs and marauders, with many wars fought for control of these lands.

The strife has left this a wild land full of misplaced peoples, brave travelers and vile bandits, roving monsters and a veritable treasure trove of mysterious dungeons. Villages and small holdings are scattered here and there, as well as the occasional “kingdom”. But much of the land is uncontrolled: Monsters roaming the forests and mountains, humanoid tribes and bandits threatening those who dare test the many trails and roads. But there is much to gain here: fortunes to be won, ancient secrets to learn, monsters to be fought, magic treasures to claim, and lands to defend, or claim as your own… if you can hold it.

Other lands, Kingdoms, Religions, etc.: We’ll fill in as we go.

Rules and Supplements:
Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game (r75)
Equipment Emporium (Modification: Brigandine is excluded pending rewrite)
0-level spells (Using : Libram Magica progression)
Backgrounds and Specialties
Combat Options
Thief Options
Gnomes
Half-Humans

Character Creation
Attributes: Character scores will be selected from the provided array. You may exchange any two ability scores at character creation (BFRPG, p. 139). Be aware of race and class restrictions in your selections.

Character Classes: We are starting with the basic four for now. Please note the following tweaks:
Cleric: Flail, Chain, and Bola are added to permitted weapons. As a clarification, a cleric’s holy symbol is needed for casting spells, but not for orisons.

Fighter: Fighters have the option of weapon specialization (from combat options). I am also offering two other options: Shield Specialization (+1AC from shields, limited to one rank), and two-weapon specialization (Each rank reduces the attack penalties by 1 (to a minimum of 0/0 at rank 5).

Magic-User: Your starting spellbook includes 4 cantrips, Read Magic, 1 1stlevel spell, plus additional spell levels of spells equal to your Intelligence bonus. Cantrips count as ½ level.
Allowed weapons are club/wizard staff/walking stick, dagger (including defense), dart, and shuriken.

Thief: Be aware of the race and attribute bonuses from Thief Options. While any armor may be worn, anything heavier than studded leather is not recommended.

Multiclassing: You may take multiclass combinations as allowed by your race. We will be using the system as outlined for elves in the BFRPG book: You may take the best BAB, saves, and traits of each class (including hit die), and you must earn the combined XP needed to level up (e.g. a fighter-magic user needs 4500 XP to reach level 2: 2000+2500.

Starting Level/XP: Characters start with 3000XP – single class characters will be 2nd – 3rd level.

Backgrounds and Specialties: While it is not necessary, you may “select” a background. This is more detail about the character’s history or specific training, to get a sense of what you’ve done, and what you know how to do. You are considered proficient in these areas, and will have bonuses to any related attribute rolls. (Note this isn’t pick a skill, but pick an area or profession. Don’t say your character knows how to ride, say he was a “knight” or “courier” or “horse thief,” which covers other skills and tasks relevant to the background (heraldry, endurance, animal appraisal, etc.).
We are going to hold off on Specialties for now.

Starting Languages: Languages are available as normal. I am giving you the option of leaving one or more bonus languages “undeclared,” and declare they happen to know a language when it is first encountered.

Starting Hit Points: Maximum for 1st level, rolled thereafter. I will reroll any 1s.

Starting Items & Money: You have 400gp for gear, provisions, etc. You may “purchase” consumable magic items (scrolls or potions) for 150gp each (150gp per spell level for scrolls), subject to approval. If you’re feeling lucky, you can get a randomly selected consumable for 75gp. NOTE: This is for character creation, not market prices!

House Rules
General

Ability Rolls (BFRPG, p. 141): I intend to make liberal use of ability rolls to cover a wide variety of actions. In short, if you want to try and do something, go for it. Character background (and Backgrounds) will come into play here. When “raw ability” checks up, we will use “1 in x” rolls. The die size is determined by the difficulty, and the roll is modified by the attribute. Opening stuck or locked doors (Strength check) is a classic example of this type of action.

Intelligence as Knowledge: I am taking an interpretation of Intelligence as a mix of knowledge and reasoning, with the emphasis on knowledge. If you’re not sure if the character knows something, an Intelligence roll (modified for relevant backgrounds) will be used. You can use the attribute as a guide, but I leave it to the player to decide how quick-thinking, deliberative, clever, distractible, or whale-omelet thick they want to play the character.

Magic
0-level Spells are in use. To clarify, Clerics and Magic-Users may cast a number of 0-level spells equal to their number of 1st level spell slots, plus one, plus their Requisite modifier. Example: A 2nd level magic-user with 16 Intelligence may cast (2 1st level spell slots, +1, +2 Int Modifier) 5 cantrips in a day. Cantrips and Orisons are quick and instinctive for the casting classes, and cannot be disrupted.

New cantrip: Mana bolt. 1d4 damage, 30’ range. Roll to hit, using better of Dex or Int to adjust AB.

New cantrip/orison: Ignite. This spell creates a brief, intense flash of heat, sufficient to light a torch, dry kindling, a prepared lantern, etc. The spark lasts but a couple of seconds, and can affect objects up to 10 feet away. Applied to a living thing, this will do no more than one hit point of damage. Unwilling targets (including items held by others) may make a save vs. Wands to avoid this. A group of candles (in a candelabra, in a magic a circle) can all be lit at once with a single use of Ignite.

Characters from non-casting classes (or a cleric wanting to learn cantrips, or vice versa) with a 13+ in the appropriate attribute may learn how to cast cantrips or orisons. They will start with one cantrip/orison known, and may cast one per +1 in the requisite ability per day (So a Thief with 18WIS may cast three orisons per day). Non-casting classes require a normal action to cast spells, and can have them be disrupted in combat. Learning how to cast these spells will take 1d4 weeks of study, and “cost” 500xp, plus whatever training costs are negotiated. Learning new 0-level spells will cost 100gp each (which includes the transcription costs for Magic-Users).

Unprepared Spells: If a character has any unprepared spell slots, they may cast them “from the book.” Casting a spell this way takes a full Turn (10 minutes).

Spell Disruption. We will be using the standard ruling, with the following modification: After being disrupted, the caster may make a Save vs. Spells (applying their Requisite modifier) to save the energy of the lost spell. If successful, the spell preparation is lost, but they keep the “unprepared” spell slot. Note that this is only applies to attacks on the exact initiative count.

Combat Rules:
Movement: You may make your move before or after your attack; you may not split your move.

Criticals: A natural 20 is an auto hit. We will use the “roll to confirm” approach for criticals. Criticals are max damage + additional damage die, plus modifiers. We may explore more options later.

Priority in Initiative: On a tied initiative, the priority goes to held actions, missiles, melee, then magic. After this, it goes to who has the best initiative modifier, then to simultaneous results.

Quarterstaff: The quarterstaff can be wielded as a reach weapon (held like a spear or a long club), or as a “double” weapon (using two-weapon fighting rules), striking for 1d4/1d4.

Shields: Large and Tower shields may provide a +1 savings throw bonus against directed effects (beams, rays, cones, etc.). This will depend on the specific situation (A small jet of poison gas from a trap could be blocked, and deserve a bonus, but a room-filling cloud would not).

Health & Death
A general note: I am taking the interpretation of hit points as “abstract ability to take a hit” close to heart. I also want to avoid having the party dragging their compatriots around for a week waiting for them to get above 0.

Healing: Characters heal 1hp per hit die overnight, plus/minus CON modifier (minimum 1).

Wound binding: A character’s wounds may be bound to stabilize in one round. Binding wounds adds the medic’s Wisdom Mod to any subsequent recovery (magical or overnight).

0 hit points: Important characters (i.e. PCs) reduced to 0hp or less in normal damage collapse, possibly unconscious. If the hit takes them below 0, they are at risk of bleeding out. Each round they must make a save vs. death, or lose an additional hit point. If they make a save, their wounds are bound, or healed via cantrip, they are stabilized. Characters may go as low as their HD size plus their Con modifier (d6, Con 15 = -7), after which they are too far gone, and will expire. After 1d6 turns (if they survived) the character will revive at 1 hp. Any Cure spell or effect will instantly revive the character (the character is treated as being at 0 hit points prior to rolling).
Magic-using characters reduced to negative hit points will lose any prepared spells, but retain the spell slots as “unprepared”. You do NOT gain castings from being brought to the Brink of Death.

Injury: The trade-off for easy recovery from 0 hit points is reduced effectiveness. When character takes a hit that puts them below 0 hit points, they have been injured, with some damage leaving the character at less-than-perfect performance. This could be a broken bone, cracked skull, torn ligament, bruised kidney, tenuously contained intestines, etc. When the character revives, they will be at -2 on all rolls, and move at half speed until they heal. Injuries are cumulative – getting Injured again takes you to -4, etc.

Natural healing reduces injury penalties by 1 per day of rest. A Cure Light Wounds spell will reduce an injury modifier by one (in addition to restoring hit points). More powerful healing effects will outright repair any Injury.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

looks like you did have some ideas for your game :) Looks good to me. MU start knowing 4 cantrips. How many orisons does a cleric start with?

Also, instead of camping out on the forum waiting for you to provide an ability score array so I can choose quickly :) perhaps you can roll us up an initiative order for choosing rows.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Hywaywolf wrote:looks like you did have some ideas for your game :) Looks good to me. MU start knowing 4 cantrips. How many orisons does a cleric start with?

Also, instead of camping out on the forum waiting for you to provide an ability score array so I can choose quickly :) perhaps you can roll us up an initiative order for choosing rows.
It's a bit of a defluff and streamlining of the stuff I was looking at for Grand Marches. Of all the stuff I've tossed in here, I'm most interested in seeing how the death and injury system works. I've geared it towards survivability, and so the magic-user's role in the party isn't to carry the unconscious halfling everywhere (I call it the Doughbert Principle). At the same time, I don't want getting skewered to be a total slap on the wrist.

On Orisons: This is actually an internal debate point for me. The precedent side of my brain says "a limited number, that's how others have done it," while the conceptual side says "all of them, just like cleric spell lists." Anybody have feelings on balance for this? If we limit, I'd probably do 3+Wis mod, to balance with the magic user.

A related note: I had originally put "Clerics may swap any prepared spell for a Cure spell" into the rules, but decided to back off on that for now.

Score Initiative: Rolling 1d12:
Hywaywolf - 1
jcm - 7
Solomoriah - 8, 2nd roll 4
Blazeguard - 8, 2nd roll 6
_________ - 10 (open slot)
Joe the Rat - 99

I've got a list generated using 4d6 keep 3, rolled in order. I kept 20 fairly equal arrays (total bonuses = +3), so it's not about having "bad" scores as having the right mix.
Go with a smile!