Chapter 1: Wherein the Protagonists Meet at an Inn

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

Joe the Rat

Chapter 1: Wherein the Protagonists Meet at an Inn

Post by Joe the Rat »

The Wildlands. A land of fortune and adventure. From the highest thrones to the lowliest hovels, tales are told of the fortunes to be made - or lost - in the forgotten ruins and secret lairs, mighty beasts to be slain, and mightier treasures to be won.

These tales are part of what led you here - seeking adventure, fortune, knowledge, wealth, or simply to have a tale of your own to be heard. Like many before, you begin your journey by traveling to Ravensgate. It is a large trading town, almost a stat unto itself behind its sturdy walls. It's business is business, with a steady traffic of trade shipments, raw materials and finished goods, exotic baubles, strange artifacts, mysterious mystics, grizzled veterans of the wilds, fresh-faced adventurers with coin to earn, and about a thousand ways to spend it. You figure you could get just about anything here for the right price. The strange sights, sounds, and smells of the 'Gate leave an impression.

This is the last thing you can remember.

The first thing you notice is the smell. Old straw and sour wine, combined with the musty dampness of an old cellar.
Stirring, you find yourself on the floor of a dimply lit space, about thirty feet across and twenty deep, roughly and incompletely divided into three sections by a pair of empty bottle racks. These racks line one of the long walls as well. The other long wall is not so much a wall, as a set of metal bars roughly set into the spaces between two stone columns. From the light coming in, it would seem that there is a lit torch on each of these columns, on the other side of the bars. With you in this odd prison are four strangers (the other players), each looking equally confused, and equally unharmed.

(Your weapons and obvious equipment are missing, but you retain your clothing and armor. You are at full health, and spellcasters have all of their spells prepared).

The space beyond is an equally large room of well-built stone, with supporting beams in an old and elegant style. A few sizable casks are opposite, resting beneath a flight of wooden stairs. A large metal cage is hanging from the center of the room, with a lumpy pile of rags inside. Near the base of the stairs are two unsavory looking men in leather armor, armed with swords, sitting on a couple of old stools. They appear to be playing some sort of game, using a barrel as a table between them. An oil lamp is hanging above them. They do not appear to notice that you are awake.

What do you do?
Go with a smile!
Blazeguard

Re: Chapter 1: Wherein the Protagonists Meet at an Inn

Post by Blazeguard »

Saeloria winces inwardly with the realization of her surroundings. "It's going to take a week of baths to get myself clean after this." she thinks to herself. Realizing that her "captors" haven't noticed she is awake yet, she quietly and surreptitiously tries to look around and gain as much information about her surroundings as she can without arousing suspicion.

She will attempt to figure out the following:
  • -who their captors are or may be working for by their clothing, jewellery, or other identifying items or marks
    -what sort of a door is on their cell and what sort of locking/closing mechanism it has
    -if there is a key that looks like it would open the cell that can be seen anywhere
    -examine her fellow cellmates for reasons why they might all be in here together
OOC: Are we all in plain view of the 2 men or are some of us somewhat obscured by the racks? How much cover would the racks afford us if we were behind them?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"It's a bad dream," thought Hamish, who rolled over and went back to sleep.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Muddle Underdock awoke from his dreams of burning flames to see the bars backlit by the torchlight. The terror fled from his mind as he was comforted by the familiar sight of a cell. He's been in these before and had always found a way out in the past. he'll get out of thise one as well. He was slightly troubled as to the How he had arrived in this predicament and who these other dark shapes were around him. Now fully awake he inched himself into the shadows such that only his face was lit by the torch light. From past experience he knew that his fire deformed face put fear into the hearts of others. Lit like this, as if hanging in space, with the rest of him in the shadows perhaps it would keep the less well behaved from bothering him until he got the lay of the land and the feel of his new roommates.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Galen stirs and looks about... thinking, "what the blazes? I don't even remember drinking.?." Seeing others in similar states of unconsciousness and then the bars, apparently a prison, begins to think, "this is troubling". Noticing that nobody else has begun to move, he rises to address the gentlemen guarding him.

(question - is Galen's mandolin with him, or sequestered away with gear like weapons?)

"Good Sirs... I am at a loss, and I believe some sort of mistake has occurred. I am a simple street performer and I have no idea why I would be imprisoned so. I have never even seen these others... perhaps we can simply allow me to remove myself from here?? I will keep this in complete confidence... I will even see that you are compensated for your trouble."

If he notices anyone else stirring, he will move to assist, whispering "we seem to collectively be in a bit of trouble. I am trying to ascertain a means to secure our release. Do you know of anything about our predicament?"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
jcm

Post by jcm »

Selene pretends to be unconscious, allowing her eyes only to open as much as would allow her to look asleep. She listens intently at the same time unsuccessfully trying to remember where she was and who the others around her were.

One of them seems to be addressing the guards. She listens for their response.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Blazeguard wrote:Saeloria winces inwardly with the realization of her surroundings. "It's going to take a week of baths to get myself clean after this." she thinks to herself. Realizing that her "captors" haven't noticed she is awake yet, she quietly and surreptitiously tries to look around and gain as much information about her surroundings as she can without arousing suspicion.

She will attempt to figure out the following:
  • -who their captors are or may be working for by their clothing, jewellery, or other identifying items or marks
    -what sort of a door is on their cell and what sort of locking/closing mechanism it has
    -if there is a key that looks like it would open the cell that can be seen anywhere
    -examine her fellow cellmates for reasons why they might all be in here together
OOC: Are we all in plain view of the 2 men or are some of us somewhat obscured by the racks? How much cover would the racks afford us if we were behind them?
The placement of the torches, and the racks create a web of shadows, making it easy to move unnoticed. Combined with the standing racks, there is very little direct and clear line of sight for the guards. Whomever set this up as a prison was either in a hurry, or did not think it through very well. Or they have crappy guards.

As to the list:
  • - The captors clothing looks very common - breeches of rough-spun wool, old worn boots, and weather-stained leather. They have no sigils or adornments indicating nation or allegiance, but the one facing more into the room is wearing an odd cross-shaped amulet with a red chip of stone in the center.
    - the bars are set roughly into the floor, and crudely nailed and linked into place. The cell door is in the middle section, a simple cage door held in place with a length of heavy chain. A beat-up but sturdy looking lock secures the chain. You will need to step into the light to examine the lock further.
    - You don't see a key from where you are.
    - A cursory glance of your companions reveals.... your companions (go read their descriptions). None of them look worse for wear, save the fighter who insistently remains unconscious, and whatever happened to that poor goblin to make him all pale and- oh wait, that's a halfling.
Hywaywolf wrote:Now fully awake he inched himself into the shadows such that only his face was lit by the torch light. From past experience he knew that his fire deformed face put fear into the hearts of others. Lit like this, as if hanging in space, with the rest of him in the shadows perhaps it would keep the less well behaved from bothering him until he got the lay of the land and the feel of his new roommates.
Muddle is sufficiently creepy.
Solomoriah wrote:"It's a bad dream," thought Hamish, who rolled over and went back to sleep.
Hamish tries to get back to sleep, but something on his left arm itches terribly.

Everyone manages to not distract them from their game of... whatever it is. Apparently it uses a lot of small pieces, and involves drinking every few moves. Well, almost everyone...
SmootRK wrote:Galen stirs and looks about... thinking, "what the blazes? I don't even remember drinking.?." Seeing others in similar states of unconsciousness and then the bars, apparently a prison, begins to think, "this is troubling". Noticing that nobody else has begun to move, he rises to address the gentlemen guarding him.

(question - is Galen's mandolin with him, or sequestered away with gear like weapons?)
No, I'm sure your captors quite specifically took your mandolin. :)

SmootRK wrote:"Good Sirs... I am at a loss, and I believe some sort of mistake has occurred. I am a simple street performer and I have no idea why I would be imprisoned so. I have never even seen these others... perhaps we can simply allow me to remove myself from here?? I will keep this in complete confidence... I will even see that you are compensated for your trouble."

If he notices anyone else stirring, he will move to assist, whispering "we seem to collectively be in a bit of trouble. I am trying to ascertain a means to secure our release. Do you know of anything about our predicament?"
The guard with the pendant looks rather surprised that Galen is up and talking. "Oi, Snoot, one of our guests is awake. Weren't they supposed to stay out until the boss got back?"
The other guard, "Snoot," turns and regards you with unfocused eyes. Apparently he's winning the game. Or losing. Badly.
"Hhey, what're you doin' up? Get out? Nooooo, not 'til the boss comes back. He's got somethin' set up for you n' the big guy, n' the ladies, n' Ahh!" Muddle's "floating demon head" trick startles Snoot, and he trips over his stool in his attempt to get away, landing soundly on his rear.

The other guard shakes his head, and stands up. grabbing a length of wood sitting next to the stairs, he walks a bit closer. "Looks like most of 'em are up. Red's not gonna like this. Oi! Rat, wake up and earn your keep!" he bangs on the side of the hanging cage, spinning it ever so slightly. From under the rags, a pair of red glowing eyes peers out at Galen. "I'll be back in a bit. You make a lot of noise if they try anything. Get up, Snoot!" The guard hauls Snoot upright, then hurries up the stairs.

A soft, thready voice speaks "Habla es goblin?"
Go with a smile!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Gah, can't let a fellow sleep," said Hamish, scratching. Standing, he looked around and said, "Well, I've woken up in worse places after drinking. Wish I could remember what I drank, though, so's I could order some more."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Muddle takes the opportunity to inspect the lock. More out of curiosity than a real desire to escape. The type of lock will say a lot about the jailers.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Hywaywolf wrote:Muddle takes the opportunity to inspect the lock. More out of curiosity than a real desire to escape. The type of lock will say a lot about the jailers.
The lock is an old, brass-clad padlock. At first glance, it looks much like the standard locks you've seen on merchant wagons - the quality here likely being on the poor end. Getting a closer look, you can see a faded guild stamp, and some of the rivets are the worse for wear. If you had the tools, you could pop it with little difficulty.

As you inspect the lock, you hear a quiet barking cough from the crows cage. The glowing eyes watch Muddle, then glance over to "Snoot," who seems to be getting a bit more serious about his guard duty. He's retrieving a crossbow from a pack sitting on the bottom stair, his back turned for the moment.

Galen and Muddle both hear the quiet raspy voice - "No habla goblin? Non? Sprechen sie kobold?"
Galen, do you happen to know Goblin or Kobold?
Go with a smile!