Borgar's Maps

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
borgar

Borgar's Maps

Post by borgar »

I'm going to be optimistic and assume I have time to produce maps more often. And may as well put in my own thread here instead of dumping everything in the AA3 thread.

I've started on the maps for Reclamation of Castle Devyn now. Below is the ground floor level. I have some cleanup to do and I've not added room numbers etc. yet.

Since I'm basically stuck working from home due to Covid-19 lockdown in Norway I may get more time than I anticipated to get this work finished.
ground_floor.png
ground_floor.png (211.04 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Borgar's Maps

Post by Solomoriah »

Very, very nice! Are you sending higher res versions to Chi, or is this as high as it gets? Because this one would be under 3 inches wide at the usual 300 dpi. We can scale up, but it never looks as good.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:54 pm Very, very nice! Are you sending higher res versions to Chi, or is this as high as it gets? Because this one would be under 3 inches wide at the usual 300 dpi. We can scale up, but it never looks as good.
The real document has a much larger resolution. I just tend to make lower resolution postings to reduce upload/download/disk for everyone. I'll make sure Chi get the full resolution documents when I'm done.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Maps for Castle Devyn are now completed. I have uploaded the XCF files to the Maps/AA3 folder.

The attached maps have been scaled down to 20% (and converted from b/w to grayscale).

Please let me know if there are errors or you have suggestions for improvements.
castle_devyn_ground_floor.png
castle_devyn_ground_floor.png (292.11 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
castle_devyn_upper_level.png
castle_devyn_upper_level.png (222.88 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
castle_devyn_lower_level.png
castle_devyn_lower_level.png (263.09 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
teaman

Post by teaman »

These are beautiful maps and I may use them for my upcoming game. I'll need something in a couple weeks.

Thanks for your hard work!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
borgar

Post by borgar »

teaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:27 am These are beautiful maps and I may use them for my upcoming game. I'll need something in a couple weeks.

Thanks for your hard work!
Thanks. Note that most extra details (room nubmers, stairs, statues etc) are in the XCF file as separate layers and it would be possible to make player version of the maps without e.g. the room numbers.

If there is any interest it would be possible to make a version where the secret room 30 not include. I assume these types of maps would be suitable for those that give players the maps (or parts of maps) instead of drawing on paper/battlemap during play (which I do).

Note that any alternative distribution will require approval from Chi since I've just redrawn his maps.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thank you Borgar! 8-) Those look amazing, and will definitely be in the next AA3 release.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Numbering is really neat, and the cross-hatching looks labor intensive! :shock:
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
borgar

Post by borgar »

rredmond wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm Numbering is really neat, and the cross-hatching looks labor intensive! :shock:
Yes, cross-hatcing take a bit of work, but my attempts to find an alternative hasn't been successful. I.e. those I have attempted are are even slower ;)

And practice help. It's certainly goes faster now than my first attempts.
teaman

Post by teaman »

One other thought is to do a careful outline of the rooms and passages (make sure all lines connect). Then scan it into your favorite software and use a stone texture instead of the hatching. There are copyright free ones on pixabay.

But obviously the hatching gives a certain old school look and you do it well. I plan on using your maps in the near future.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games