Bumblepig's Droppings

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Bumblepig

Bumblepig's Droppings

Post by Bumblepig »

I've been inspired by the "Absolute Beginners" thread to start sketching... something I haven't done since high school. I've attached a couple of my monster entries for the Field Guide 3. If they're usable, great. If they're not quite good enough, I understand and am at least having fun. :)
Attachments
Florans by Kyle Hettinger.png
Florans by Kyle Hettinger.png (9.09 MiB) Viewed 5751 times
Ward Pixie by Kyle Hettinger.png
Ward Pixie by Kyle Hettinger.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 5751 times
teaman

Re: Bumblepig's Droppings

Post by teaman »

Keep at it! A great start to a great pursuit. I can't imagine living with drawing.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

This is great. I don't know how much time you have to devote to this, but if you can set a goal to produce 'x' number of pieces a week, your skills will grow immensely.

It's really never to late to try to best whatever you've become. A few years ago I decided to pretend I knew nothing about audio production, and I read and watched materials constantly to re-school myself. I spent 9 months at it, and I still maintain a healthy skepticism of my abilities. There's always something I can learn. I'm happy when I see something I did that embarrasses me a little. It means I've grown. I can only hope that experience never stops.

My favourite drummer, Neil Peart, the youngest drummer ever voted into the Modern Drummer Readers Poll Hall of Fame, started taking lessons again in his mid-50s. Rest his soul, the man was both brilliant and humble.
teaman

Post by teaman »

toddlyons wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:46 pm This is great. I don't know how much time you have to devote to this, but if you can set a goal to produce 'x' number of pieces a week, your skills will grow immensely.

It's really never to late to try to best whatever you've become. A few years ago I decided to pretend I knew nothing about audio production, and I read and watched materials constantly to re-school myself. I spent 9 months at it, and I still maintain a healthy skepticism of my abilities. There's always something I can learn. I'm happy when I see something I did that embarrasses me a little. It means I've grown. I can only hope that experience never stops.

My favourite drummer, Neil Peart, the youngest drummer ever voted into the Modern Drummer Readers Poll Hall of Fame, started taking lessons again in his mid-50s. Rest his soul, the man was both brilliant and humble.
And the progress takes time, so go easy on yourself. It's a gradual improvement rather than a quantum leap.

And I'm still learning a little everyday. Youtube is a great place to learn from other artists.

Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I'm sure any progress will be gradual. ;) I watched a couple things on YouTube but I really like this book by Claudia Nice.
Toddlyons: I love stories of late late late bloomers. Staying creative and continually trying new things is probably the best way to keep from us all from becoming grumpy old farts.
Last edited by Bumblepig on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

BTW, I really enjoyed The Children of Zewlac. Thanks for that.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

toddlyons wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 am BTW, I really enjoyed The Children of Zewlac. Thanks for that.
Thanks! It was fun to write. The characters took a life of their own.
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

I'm going through a similar process not having done any real artwork for the last 20 years. I'm really rusty and I'm struggling with techniques (computer drawing) that I'm not all that used to.

I feel that real world studies are the best. I mean look at stuff in the real world and try to replicate it. Nowadays it's never been easier than when when I was a young whimper snapper, since there is a virtually inexhautable treasure trove of images on the internet!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Fabian wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:22 pm I'm going through a similar process not having done any real artwork for the last 20 years. I'm really rusty and I'm struggling with techniques (computer drawing) that I'm not all that used to.

I feel that real world studies are the best. I mean look at stuff in the real world and try to replicate it. Nowadays it's never been easier than when when I was a young whimper snapper, since there is a virtually inexhautable treasure trove of images on the internet!
I agree about using real world references as a starting point. And your digital stuff is great, Fabian.

Thanks also to Bumblepig for the heads up on Claudia Nice. I saw that she has a number of books on Amazon. Which one are you using? My favorite is DRAWING LESSONS FROM THE GREAT MASTERS, by Robert Beverly Hale. It's not really a "how to" book, but a number of reflections on a ton of classic drawings. Won't be to everyone's taste, and I wouldn't recommend it to a an absolute beginner. Another classic is Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting.

Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

teaman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:29 pm
Thanks also to Bumblepig for the heads up on Claudia Nice. I saw that she has a number of books on Amazon. Which one are you using?
Drawing in Pen & Ink (First Steps).