Ebonbenter Tor

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Ebonbenter Tor

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to have a couple of art pieces for the Ebonbenter Tor adventure. I don't often commission specific drawings, but I'm going to make an exception here because I feel like this adventure has a couple of interesting villains.

The Uncanny Sorcerer's body is 90% invisible, looking like smoke in the shape of a man, but his clothing and items are not affected by this. He wears a hooded robe, boots, and gloves, so other than the empty-looking hood he looks pretty, well, "normal" for a dungeon-dwelling sorcerer. He has a pet giant draco lizard which used to be his dog Blue who is likely to be found nearby.

The Serpentine Sorceress was turned into a cobra by her former lover (the sorcerer above) but has retained her mind, her magic, and her undead minions. She "rides" in a skeleton under her control, looking out from its open mouth; it wears a hooded robe, gloves, and boots, so that other than the skull face with a snake looking out of its mouth she looks pretty, well, "normal" for a dungeon-dwelling sorceress. Remember here that she's riding in a skeleton, so rather than a feminine figure you'd be drawing a gaunt skeletal body.

The two facing off would be an interesting image, though it's not actually likely to happen in the adventure as they are afraid of each other (though neither would admit it).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
coureur_d_bois

Re: Ebonbenter Tor

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Here's my first take at the Uncanny Sorcerer. This is still a work in progress and I would still need to add shading. I mostly wanted to get your input to know if the drawing corresponds to what you had in mind for the character. I also took a wild guess as to what a Draco Lizard looks like, but wasn't sure. I also figured that it would be as big as a dog, but could be wrong. I also had in mind adding the tapestry in room S in the background.
Uncanny Sorcerer.jpg
Uncanny Sorcerer.jpg (111.01 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

An interesting challenge. I’ll see what I can come up with.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

These are very interesting villians, they once knew each other very well and now are afraid of each other?
I would like to tackle this sorceress, as a heads up I will be unable to really start for another week.

Could you expand a little more on what you personally mean by commission?
Best of journey's, fellow adventurer.

If you would like to check out some artwork :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/inkandcargopantz/?hl=en
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 amCould you expand a little more on what you personally mean by commission?
Oops. I should have been more clear... I'm not talking about paying for art, as we really don't do that; but because we don't pay for it, neither do I usually ask for anything specific. That's what I meant by "commission" in this context.
coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:17 pmHere's my first take at the Uncanny Sorcerer. This is still a work in progress and I would still need to add shading. I mostly wanted to get your input to know if the drawing corresponds to what you had in mind for the character.
I imagined a long robe, ankle length probably, and did not consider an additional cloak (with the hood being part of the robe rather than the cloak as you have it here). However, this is quite good, and I'm not fixed on that specific representation.
coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:17 pmI also took a wild guess as to what a Draco Lizard looks like, but wasn't sure.
First, what it looks like. I suggest reviewing both links. The first shows the draco lizard at rest, the second has a good pic of one airborne.
https://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/lizar ... lizard.htm
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au ... co-volans/
coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:17 pm I also figured that it would be as big as a dog, but could be wrong.
Second, as to size. The Core Rules says this:
An average giant draco lizard is 8' long, including its nearly 3' long tail.
coureur_d_bois wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:17 pmI also had in mind adding the tapestry in room S in the background.
THAT would be excellent!

Note to all: Art contributed here will almost certainly end up in AA4.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The sorcerer and sorceress were lovers, but as both are evil they never really trusted each other. When they finally fought, the sorcerer turned his former lover into a cobra using a wand he had never revealed to her; she now worries that he may have other magic she doesn't know about. He doesn't know what has become of her but the dungeon is littered with undead she animated, though she did it from a scroll. Neither is as powerful as the other assumes.
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:12 am
FantasyCargoPantz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 amCould you expand a little more on what you personally mean by commission?
I'm not talking about paying for art, as we really don't do that; but because we don't pay for it, neither do I usually ask for anything specific. That's what I meant by "commission" in this context.
Excellent, that is what had me wondering. :)
Best of journey's, fellow adventurer.

If you would like to check out some artwork :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/inkandcargopantz/?hl=en
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Here's a new version of the Uncanny Sorcerer. Took me quite some time to get something satisfying, and hopefully this corresponds to what was originally requested. I know the module says that the sorcerer rips the tapestry off its support before ordering the lizard to attack the intruders, but I thought it would be interesting to have the sorcerer simply pull it to the side.

This can likely still be improved, so don't hesitate to give feedback if you think this piece could make it to final version of the module.
Attachments
Sickem!.jpg
Sickem!.jpg (273.21 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I like it! Thanks!
onearmspence

Post by onearmspence »

Here's my first take at the Serpentine Sorceress!

Imageserpentinesorcerer by onearmspence, en Flickr