Character creation

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Hywaywolf

Re: Character creation

Post by Hywaywolf »

Sorry about that. I meant Quander, but my traitorous fingers get away from me sometimes. I was only asking because I was confused by your post about your AC being so low in comparison to others and that you felt handicapped by it. I just wanted to make sure that you knew your cleric could have metal armor.

Also, the MU doesn't have 12 spells per day. He can use 12 spells today (if that is the right count, I didn't do the math :) ) but whatever he uses from the ring will subtract how many he can use the next day because he will have to use spell slots to replenish whatever he used from the ring. If he can get through a day without using any spell from the ring then the next day he will be able to use 12 again. Its still a pretty dang good ring.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Just to clarify things. That ring he has is like a little MU on his finger. Spells cast from that ring are re-memorized the next morning.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

wait, you mean Rykken doesn't have to cast spells into it? wow. that is a special ring.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I didn't want to come off as complaining about disparity. I'm just asking that we give out found magic items to those who didn't get 1st dibs on the items from the set-up phase.

I just never saw Quander in metal armour. I've got my open for some more magical protection if any becomes available.

Now...how do we get this moving? Do we always wait on people to post their orders? I have never done this before so I'm curious about the mechanics.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

You post what your character is going to do and then wait for everyone else to do the same. It can get slow at times depending on what everyone does and how long they take to post.

EDIT
((I also just noticed I broke 1000 posts again. Yay! Last time I saw that was back in 2012! :lol: ))
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Play by post is very slow. I am in some that might take a week to just go through teh door. You just get used to it and post when it moves again. That was the reason I gave a description of what I would do if I weren't here to run my PC for a few days. And I also go ahead and give my probable action when we are in an encounter even if I am way down the Initiative list like now. So if my turn comes up and the DM comes online before I do and nothing has happened that might change my action the DM can just post my action and move on to the next person.

About magic items. This is my own personal opinion. Its what I prefer, but if it works out differently then thats ok, i'll just play accordingly. I am not a fan of calling dibs and taking what loot you want without regard to the rest of the party. Sometimes that happens by accident, like our wizard found out lol. When magic items come up, I believe in first seeing who can use it and then what is best for the party. The exception to that is if someone does something life threatening that directly wins the magic item then they have first dibs on whether they want it or not. The thief has to go through a series of traps and locks to open a chest, or the fighter defeats something in one on one combat and the enemy is using the magic item. Obviously scrolls, wands and other things that are usually only useable by clerics and MUs go to them.

For example, we found some magic (assumed) chainmail. You never answered me about whether or not you want it. It doesn't help me, but I am toting it around in case a new player wants it or as treasure if not. It has reduced my movement rate from 40' to 30'. When the next time we find a magic item and we have to "vote" on who gets it, part of the things I will be considering is that I have been taking a penalty to carry this thing around while it could be used by someone in the party but who has chosen to wait for something better. Most of the disparity in AC is your own choice since you have rejected armor twice now (when outfitting yourself and when you were offered magic chainmail.)
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Even if you aren't going to wear heavy metal armor, it may not be a bad idea throw some leather on you, or even a chain shirt underneath your tunic ALA Frodo. Just anything to make it a less easier to be killed by an elderly kobold with vision problems. ..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Longman

Post by Longman »

Hmmm. I don't want the chain mail, thanks. Can't we take it back and sell it soon? We need to get lanterns anyway.

I note there is some concern over my AC but honestly, it's just a PC decision not to wear armour and I was really only using it as one example, overall.

Here's a rundown:

Oypeen:
mace +1, +3 vs. undead
ring of the Magi (16AC)
Ring of protection +4
6 heal pot 3d8
1 pot of levitation

Rykken:
Ring of Plant Control - 0 lb (not worn)
Ring of Protection +6 (worn) - 0 lb
Ring of Spell Storing (worn) - 0 lb
Potion of Levitation (1) - 1 lb
Potion of Healing (5) - 5 lbs

Hermia:
1 Potion of Giant Strength (*)
3 Potions of Healing (***)

Lianna:
1 Potion of Heroism - 0.1 lb
3 Healing Potions - o.3 lbs

I myself have a +2 protection ring and one potion of speed. Sturm has one +4 ring and a magic weapon and 5 healing potions.

So, I'm not just talking about my armour class.

All I was actually suggesting is that myself, Lianna and Hermia gets dibs on a few found items, to level things up a bit. Of course, this doesn't mean giving people the wrong items and items should always suit the character, that goes without saying. But, in the event that an item might suit one or more character (like protection, or potions, or rings), I believe it should go to the person with the least initial items and my character would argue that point.

That doesn't seem like a controversial suggestion to me. It just seems like common sense, so people have roughly even opportunities, and would want to support each other.

Anyway, whatever happens, I do not think the whole thing should boil down to my single decision not to wear some chain mail.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I have no problem with you choosing not to wear armor. My issue was you commenting that that your AC was so low in comparison to others. That was a choice you made.

This is what we have left of the stuff we bought before we came down choose what you want and add it to your item list ...

5 potions of Extra Healing (heals 7d8 of hit points).
14 potions of healing (heals 3d8 of hit points).
1 potion of Levitation (the subject can levitate and control with thought the direction of levitation for 10 rounds).

Rings.
1 ring of Feather Fall (at will the subject can fall as if a feather, not much control on direction but the subject can fall any distance without damage)
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Probably a good idea to get the equipment/items sorted out soon folks.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360