The Dragon's Apothecary (trading post)

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Re: The Dragon's Apothecary (trading post)

Post by Jandolar »

Yeah I can't find anywhere that says you can't wear two protection rings. All BFRPG says is that you can't wear more than one ring on each hand. So the rules don't say you "can't", guess that means you can. If you want to wear a Ring of Protection on each hand then I'm fine with it.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

hmmm.. I've never let those stack..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

dymondy2k wrote:hmmm.. I've never let those stack..
My initial opinion after a first read of the rule was that the rules only allowed one type, so no double stacking on rings. But then when I read it again I realized that when it was referring to type, it wasn't referring to what type of magic/spell but rather what type of item - 1 shield, 1 set of armor, 1 necklace, but you can wear a ring on each hand. So this is one of those things where the rule supports both rulings on the ring. So it would depend on the DM and neither choice would be wrong.

I mean, if you are allowed to wear two rings, what would be the difference between having two protection rings and having a plate +1, necklace+1 and ring+1. They both stack on AC.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Well I let Armor and the Rings stack because it makes sense that they are two different types of bonuses.. but if the necklace and ring were both 'Of Protection' I wouldn't let them stack, only take the highest.. This might be my knowledge of newer editions speaking because I know that's how it works with them. Maybe we should put this question out to the gen forums to get some more opinions..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

It makes no difference to me. I just want to know what the DM rule is and I am fine either way. if he wants a wider opinion it might be a good idea for him to ask.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

ok, we need to work out this ring stuff so we can get past it. As much as I would like the ring of protection +6 I don't want to hold things up. so I would like:

Ring of The Magi
Ring of protection +4
6 heal pot 3d8 (7d8 would be wasted on a 11 hp PC)
1 pot of levitation
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I went and looked again. The rules do state that only one type of item may be worn but it also says that you can wear one ring on each hand. Initially I didn't see an issue with wearing a RoP on each hand. After realizing what that has the potential to do in terms of AC and saves I'm going to house rule that you cannot wear two rings of protection and stack the bonuses from the rings.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

ok, since the ring of the magi is based on a set AC like armor, can I wear it with a ring of protection? Also, would you say a shield is armor or not? can a shield be used with the ring of the magi?
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

You cannot wear the ring of the magi while wearing a shield.

You can wear a ring of protection while wearing a ring of the magi.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

durn lol, hmmm, ok so I have to ask myself is losing 2 AC worth gaining 30' per round of movement.

I can see having a fast fighter moving up with the thief/scout (if we ever get one) to provide protection a useful thing, since he can retreat as fast as the thief if need be. But losing that 2 AC on top of only having 11 hp is making it a tough choice :). Oh what the heck. I guess I'll still do it. If I can get one of the +4 rings then that will give me an AC21.