4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

LibraryLass

Re: 4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Post by LibraryLass »

Exactly.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

(DMs redo, lets try this scenario and see if I can script my way out of an embarrassing little bout with idiocy hmm?)

(Mae the first ingot you pulled out appeared to weigh about a pound until it cleared the opening of the chest. At that point it suddenly gained substantial weight, possibly weighing 20lbs or more.)

As the platform rises the company has time to ponder the mysterious properties that the chest may hold. Thinking quickly Opyeen pulls his traveling blanket out of his pack and covers the chest in the hope that no one notices what exactly it is and another in-tavern conflict starts. Reaching the surface with their burden they are greeted by a smiling Durnan who holds his hand out for the gold pieces that they must pay to reenter the tavern through his well. The patrons there are obviously curious about the mass floating behind the CoS mage but out of respect for the successful company none voice a question although several call out greetings and offer a round of drinks in exchange for a story from below. (I just realized you folks need a bard type along to immortalize yourselves in song. :D )

Begging off the drinks and stories until a later date due to pressing business the companions head to Rykkens store to get the chest into the secure vault located beneath it. With the Floating Disc still supporting the weight it takes a few short minutes to get the chest down the stairs and onto the floor. While doing this the boy is sent to get Kallas Grimsbeard from the tavern and ask him if he'd mind looking at something the company has found, with the utmost secrecy of course.

Kallas arrives several minutes later and under the watchful eye of Ravoneth he descends the stairs to the floor of the vault. Only his past help of the companions and his unwavering steadfastness and honor allow him to enter the secure area where Rykken keeps his most prized possessions. Once he is standing in front of the chest he lets out a long low whistle...... By the Hammer of The All-Father where did you find this and have you opened it yet to see if it still contains anything?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

"Undermountain, buried in a pile of sand in a scorpion's nest."

"Yes. There are some... curious ingots in it. We think they may be of Dwarven make and we were hoping you might be able to help us find the rightful owner, or failing that, a buyer."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

If I wasn't a man of faith I would be cackling maniacally at how rich we are gonna be..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If we live long enough to collect
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

dymondy2k wrote:If I wasn't a man of faith I would be cackling maniacally at how rich we are gonna be..
Imagine what that wealth could do for your church!
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Kallas rocks back on his heals a bit. Pile of sand and a Scorpions nest you say? Looking now much more closely at the chest he takes a long slow walk around it muttering to himself. What kind of sand? Sword Coast sand or something more white and quartz looking? He stops his circle of the chest and examines the lock then looks to the effigy of a sailing ship carved upon the lid. I'd like to see one of the ingots if you don't mind. At this point his jovial attitude is gone, he is all business with a severe trace of curiosity riding the surface of his thoughts as evident in how he shifts his feet.

(My assumption is that you open the chest and let him see the ingots. The map of course is not in there, neither is the key. Correct?)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

((I would prefer that we had taken one out, the first one we took out for example, to use when discussing this with others rather than letting them see everything all at once))
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Instead of opening the chest for Kallas Mae hands over the first ingot they took out. The dwarf takes it in hand and hefts it a bit. Hmm... 30 pounds if she's an ounce. Looking closer at it the dwarf smiles at the light blue shine upon it. Blue Steel...... and old, very old. Turning to the company he heads for his pack with the ingot in hand. I don't know how or why this ended up in the deep below but I have an idea. Let me take this one as a gesture of good faith and so that I have something to show the priest, scholar and the armorer to prove that it exists. As he gets it in his pack and stands back up he says. Tell no one else of this. No one. What you have there might be the last of it's kind, of maybe the first in a string of them buried throughout the realm.. full of treasure beyond belief.

Digging into his belt pouch he produces a piece of parchment. Take this as a token of my good intentions. It's the location of the beholders room below and the last known area where the Band of The Hand and your missing adept were seen. The eye tyrant is probably still there so don't go charging in thinking all the gold is unguarded.

(If allowed to leave with the ingot Kallas moves quickly up the stairs and is gone into the streets, his hand on his axe and a determined glint in his eye.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen watches the dwarf leave with their treasure and hopes that we see him again. He checks the security of the vault and makes any corrections that he sees. He nervously paces a bit then looks to Giovanni and says, "I am going to go crazy waiting down here. Do you want to go check on the status of the cleansing of the Screaming Maiden mace we left with your order? I'll go with you, if so."