4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Blazeguard

Re: 4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Post by Blazeguard »

Once the chest is inside his vault, Rykken double, triple, and quadruple checks the locks and then adds a couple extra 'magical' locks for good measure.

He turns and looks at the rest of the party, "Well, what now? That mace, if cleansed, could serve us well down below. I wouldn't mind accompanying you as well if that's where you're going. And seeing as we have a map now I say we celebrate tonight and then head back down again on the morrow."
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

"A little fresh air and a trip to the temple sounds nice, but could we wait half an hour and have some lunch? My stomach was untimely emptied, and I'd like to fill it again before we do anything else. Besides, Mae still hasn't met the last member of our team..."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Soundsa like a great idea.. I could use a bit a fresh air!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Woe

Post by Woe »

Ravoneth says, "I am ready to return to the Undermountain. If you all need rest, perhaps I should retire to the temple and meet you here in the morning."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

(The map has been updated.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

As the companions leave the vault below, and Rykken securely locks it with all manner of wizardry, Alfred steps up to his employer. Master Rykken? I know you were very busy with your newest merchandise but have you had a chance to look at the shop? Looking around Rykken sees that the formerly well cared for shop interior shines with well polished floors and the deep hues of shelves made of hardwood that weren't there before. I took the liberty of installing some new shelves made from old hardwood that a friend wanted to sell. I bought it out of my own pay sir so there's no loss to you but it makes for better presentation for the items. My wife is also doing a great bit of business with her dresses and cloaks. Opening the account ledger Rykken can see that business is up 20% from the last month, Alfred really is a damn good clerk.

Seeing the smile on his bosses face Alfred continues. The owner of the building next door came by some days ago wanting to sell it. It needs some repair but at two stories and near to 3000 square feet per level it would make a nice business sir. He wants 1200 gold for it (this is a fair price at current market value) but I think I can get him down to below 1000 due to the repairs needed. I also know several out of work carpenters that would work cheap to rebuild the upper floor. I was thinking sir... ummm He shuffles his feet and looks at the floor as he continues. For a minimal price out of the business coffers you could purchase the building next door and convert the lower floor into an upscale coffee and ale house with the upper into a very large show place for your wares. If it'd be ok with you the current shop could be converted into a home for myself and my family. We'd be here for security and to open the doors promptly for business in the morning. I even know some cooks and servers who would welcome the chance to go to work. With the Band of The Hand almost gone honest work has been hard to come by. I can vouch for anyone that you decide to employ sir.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

(I'll leave this topic open for Rykken to talk to his employee and make decisions for the business, Rykken please update here what you want Alfred and family to do so I can work it into the story later on.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken takes a few minutes to peruse the books. He lets out a low whistle and turns to Alfred. "Alfred, I don't know what sequence of events conspired to drop you in your previous situation but you are more than worth your weight in gold! Whatever you paid for the shelves make sure you are reimbursed from the store. I will not have you spending your own money to fix up my shop. And if you need anything else for the store go ahead and do as you see fit. As for the building next door if you can get the price reduced to below 1000 then go ahead and purchase it. I'm excited about your plans for a coffee and ale house but before you proceed I would like you to discuss this with Durnan. I wouldn't want to step on his toes and make him think I'm trying to bleed off his business. If Durnan doesn't mind then go ahead and proceed with the rest of your plans." He stops and looks around the shop again, "Alfred you and your wife have already done an amazing job here. I am going to give you a 10% raise effective immediately. Thank you!!"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.