4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Re: 4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Post by Jandolar »

Woe wrote:Ravoneth can read languages as a thief. I don't know the mechanics of that skill, but does it help to understand the runes?
That's a damn good question. I looked in the core rules and couldn't find Read Languages other than the spell. I'll post up in the forum to see how others are running it.

Edit: Rolled the dice and you are unable to read the language. The written runes are both ancient and obscure.... lost to history that the shorter lived share. This language goes beyond even the elvish language far into the time when the realms were new and innocent. At a time when the mountains were first forming, when the now ancient trees of the elven glades were mere saplings striving for life this language of the "true folk" was already in use. This script is ancient dwarven, High Dwarven is the name the true folk call it. Very few today can read and speak it, it is a language lost to all but the most steadfast dwarven scholars.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

(I'm glad you gave her a chance to 'take 20'. A lock isn't necessarily beyond her skill, its beyond her skill when she has time breathing down her neck. To me take twenty just gives a bonus to trying because she isn't being rushed. There really isn't an OSR equivalent of it but letting her retry works for me.))

I'm definitely for getting these ingots back to the Tavern. This is a huge find! I wonder if the map is a Dwarven Pirate treasure map? Maybe an adventure for another day!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Yes, it is a nice find. How can we leverage it best to find the Band of the Hand?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken's mouth drops open at the sight of the chest's contents. "That is a mountain of ingots!" His mind races trying to calculate the worth of the treasure. "Let's get this to the surface before the spell ends. I'd hate to try lugging this around by hand."
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

(If the group decision is to take the ingots back up top while the disk is still available then here we go.)

Using his ring once again Opyeen zips the company back to the entrance well with the chest in tow. Once at the bottom of the well they make some racket, this alerts the folks up top and the platform is on the way down. Once the platform has returned to the inside of the well and Durnan is paid his gold piece for each adventurer getting off then the CoS is free to do whatever it is they want to do with the chest. As they are coming off the platform and headed (where??) Kalas approaches with a curious eye on the chest. Saying nothing for the time being he falls in behind the group and follows them to where ever it is they take the chest, one hand upon his axe and his head swiveling left and right as they go.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

((one addition to the previous events is that Oypeen covered the chest with a blanket to hide its particular markings from prying eyes. I also suggest we find a secure vault for these ingots.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Hywaywolf wrote:((one addition to the previous events is that Oypeen covered the chest with a blanket to hide its particular markings from prying eyes. I also suggest we find a secure vault for these ingots.
If you hid it before coming to the surface then we'll ignore the Kalas following you thing. Rykken should have a pretty sizable vault in his shop considering all the things he's buying and selling out of there. If not something can be arranged through Mirt the Moneylender.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

If we're not hiding it, Ravoneth is a bit cautious about Kalas's interest in the chest. She doesn't know him very well -- he murdered another dwarf and he threw a big party.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

On the other hand we know Kallas. Maybe he could direct us to dwarves that would be willing to buy it. I'm sure that they would pay top dollar for ancient Dwarven materials. But I think it best that we approach him about it first.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

((I'd like to take the box through the tavern under a blanket then bring in Tallas to get his input on it. Just too many eyes in the tavern and I would not like to be broadsided by a group who identify something about the box that we don't know. We get surprised by enemies too much as it is :) )