Return to the Refuge.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Return to the Refuge.

Post by Jandolar »

After a long night spent questioning Brother James the CoS decides to load the adept into a wagon and haul him north to the Refuge. The weeks long journey will allow them time to contemplate what has happened and what might happen. Sitting in the wagon with his knees broken Brother James has fallen into a meditative state. His eyes are closed, he breathes deeply, he is almost comatose. Nestled in the foodstuffs is a key, the Beholders Key. The CoS has decided that the best way to keep the Key safe is to get it out of Waterdeep.

The sun is not yet up as they pass through the gates...

In the wagon Ravoneth holds vigil over her lost brother. At the fore front Opyeen rides a stallion suitable to his station in the CoS. Trailing the wagon Hermia and Mae ride stalwart ponies, Mae is still a tad off from the attack but refused to be left behind. She'd never leave her halfling confidant and companion no matter what her injury, love makes one blind to pain. Rykken rides a dappled grey mare, sure of foot and slow to panic, she is as the mage is in temperament. Upon a jet black mare Giovanni rides. His armour polished, his mace ready, his shield easy at hand. The Cleric is prepared to take on any that stand in his path.

The first day goes without incident.

Do you all camp or continue? If you camp how do you set your watch for the night?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post by Woe »

I would prefer to keep moving and not stop in the night. Ravoneth is convinced that "someone" will be following them, though she doesn't know who. If anything, she'd rather just take horses and skip using the slower wagon. But she accepts Hermia's wagon without voicing the opinion, and ensures that James is still hobbled every hour.

(btw, did you catch the part about wrapping the chain of the hand manacles around the chain of the ankle manacles? The poor guy is going to look reverse hogtied, but it was his choice. Also, hands locked up behind his back.)

It is a week-long journey? If so, Ravoneth will forgo her usual sleep cycle, opting instead to stay alert throughout the day (mind over body skill). I'll meditate during different times in the day, with a bit of randomness and always when others are more awake (post-breakfast, pre-lunch, etc). She will also make sure that James' legs stay broken, and the mark she gave him remains visible.

Does she or any of the CoS know how to get a message to Fergus, either through other rangers or through some nearby druids? He's the only one she'll entrust with getting a message safely to the refuge.

She is also able to speak with animals, and will ask the occasional woodland creature what lies ahead.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Giovanni groans when hears Ravoneth say they should continue and not camp.. The clerics stomach grumbles almost in unison.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

"Ponies aren't Golems, Ravoneth... They can't keep going day and night."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"I'll not stay awake for 10 days straight, but if the moon is out I could ride through the night and sleep in the day."
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Ponies aren't Golems, Ravoneth... They can't keep going day and night."
Haha! Not what I was trying to convey, but I'll roll with it.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

(Nah, I can edit if I misinterpreted you.)
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Woe wrote:I would prefer to keep moving and not stop in the night. Ravoneth is convinced that "someone" will be following them, though she doesn't know who. If anything, she'd rather just take horses and skip using the slower wagon. But she accepts Hermia's wagon without voicing the opinion, and ensures that James is still hobbled every hour.

(btw, did you catch the part about wrapping the chain of the hand manacles around the chain of the ankle manacles? The poor guy is going to look reverse hogtied, but it was his choice. Also, hands locked up behind his back.)

It is a week-long journey? If so, Ravoneth will forgo her usual sleep cycle, opting instead to stay alert throughout the day (mind over body skill). I'll meditate during different times in the day, with a bit of randomness and always when others are more awake (post-breakfast, pre-lunch, etc). She will also make sure that James' legs stay broken, and the mark she gave him remains visible.

Does she or any of the CoS know how to get a message to Fergus, either through other rangers or through some nearby druids? He's the only one she'll entrust with getting a message safely to the refuge.

She is also able to speak with animals, and will ask the occasional woodland creature what lies ahead.
I did catch the bit about the chains but refrained from mentioning it in text. I fully figured you'd have him trussed up and immobile. BJ is going to have a hard time of it, as he well knows, and as such has settled himself into a meditative state that allows him to distance his mind from the physical hardships he is currently dealing with. As far as the Ranger goes Master Longstrider will find you or not as he deems fit to do so. One doesn't simply send a message to the Rangers and expect a response. The woodland animals you speak to briefly convey a sense of contentment that there are no hostile "two legs" in the immediate area.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

If you plan to camp....

As day turns to dusk the CoS begins looking for a place to camp for the night. The clear skies indicate there will be no rain so tents will not be needed. Off the path to the south is a copse of older pines, their trunks large and straight the lower branches form a canopy over a patch of cleared ground in the center. Within that patch is an old fire pit. Possibly not used for months the blackened stones are still arranged in a neat circle. On either side of the pit are two sticks driven into the ground with forked branches ready to hold a spit or heavier branch from which to hang a pot for cooking. Off to one side is a large supply of wood already cut and split for use, well dried and seasoned the oil rich wood takes a ready spark and makes a smokeless flame. The pine needless upon the ground make a welcome sleeping mat if they are piled together.

In looking around the perimeter Giovanni spots a glyph carved into the bole of one ancient tree. The stylized symbol of a rearing bear indicates that this place has been frequented by one of the Corps of Rangers at some time in the last few years as the glyph isn't quite grown over enough to mask it's features.

If you do camp here do you set a watch? What are your plans for BJ, the horses and your meals? There is still light enough for one with a bow and the knack for hunting to search for game.

If you plan to continue..

The shadows grow long in the evening as our companions forgo rest and continue on. As darkness descends the trail is lit by a waxing moon and the grasslands and trees come alive with the sounds of night birds and other animals. Horses heads droop, eyelids on the party members do the same as some stifle yawns. Alertness gives way to exhaustion hours after the sun has set and the pace slows to a crawl as the shorter legged ponies reach the limit of continued movement without rest or fodder. By the time the sun comes up the CoS is fighting the grainy feeling of bloodshot eyes and saddle sore legs and rumps. The horses are by now trudging along at a snails pace. Although there was nothing in the night to indicate an attack or threat the party is exhausted from trying to stay alert and maintain a vigil of preparedness through the long dark hours. Stopping now for rest and food is a priority.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

If you do camp here do you set a watch? What are your plans for BJ, the horses and your meals? There is still light enough for one with a bow and the knack for hunting to search for game.
I think Hermia wisely pointed out that the horses need rest, so we should stop for the night. It is only seven days to the refuge?

Ravoneth will feed Brother James for him, some gruel or anything else light. He can stay tied up in the wagon. After some thought, she'll bind his mouth too. (poor guy!) She'll check his bindings as well as the kneecaps.

Ravoneth will stay on watch all night, though she'd welcome others as well.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot