RED OAK: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Down in Cyn Dol (Chapter 7)

Post by Longman »

"I know who you are, good lady, and I know where your friends are too. But thank you for your honesty and plain speaking. It builds trust."

(His way of talking is a lot different to Roddy's scattered "Sylvan as a Second Language" efforts.)

"Thank you for everything that you have told us, although I must say it may not make a great deal of difference. We do not have any knowledge of how to heal that poor girl. In fact I would ask that she be far away form here at the next full moon. As to there being anyone else...hmmm. I don't think so. At least, not anyone who is making their presence known."

The nisha are our enemies, and hunt us down if we venture too far south of here. We have not gone that way in many moons. But we are small and do not require much space, but it would be good for our younger people to see more of the world. It if may assist you in some way, one of our number would be willing to come with you on your mission. You have gained our trust and I think such an arrangement would benefit both of us. In particular, Roderick has told us that none of you can see magic? All of our kind can do so. This may help you a great deal in the coming quest."
Woe

Post by Woe »

Tiana thinks briefly of Kilian's reaction, then shrugs it off. "Brother Aflyl, we are honored by your offer. We will gladly accept the assistance. Your kind can travel with us as long as they desire."

Not sure if Tiana covered it before, but Jane indicated that the nisha feel driven back from this area of the woods. Maybe that will make the lusha feel safer. If that didn't come up before, she'll mention it now.

pause while she collects her thoughts
"Months ago, when we first came back this way, we encountered a fog-enshrouded lake. We didn't speak to Roddy of it but we had an interesting encounter. Prithee, can you tell us of the inhabitants there? Or if we wanted to pass a message to the majestic eagles, how to best accomplish such a task?"

interlude!
At some point, Freya nudges Tiana. In elvish, she asks "You should find out what wine they like. Maybe they prefer something better than icewine." Tiana starts at the random suggestion, but finally agrees to ask the mouseman about their vino preferences.

after interlude
More seriously, Tiana will ask more about the transformation. "Brother Alfyl, Jane is not the only one who was marked. Yonder dwarf -- the bigger one -- was attacked by a nisha and contracted lycanthropy as well. We think he went through one violent transformation but fought it off. At least, we had him isolated in the first full moon and between his dwarvish curses and the nisha attack, it was an interesting night. But by sunup, he no longer showed signs of the infection. In the recent full moons, he complains about naught but the lack of strong beer and spiced mutton... something he oft complains about other times as well.

Have you heard of such a tale before, someone fighting off the infection?"

(pause for a bit, for you to answer. then to carry on after this thread is done.)

"One other thing about that fateful night. Kilian claims to have a vivid dream about being called to an occult ceremony, with twelve new acolytes and... If you don't mind, I should let him tell it. I do need to warn you about his manner, though he is quite polite for a mountain dwarf."

Assuming he's willing, she'll ask Kilian to come over and tell the tale. I don't think we told Roddy (or if we did, Tiana's forgotten about it). Tiana will also remind Kilian that there are good lycanthropes and bad lycanthropes, and these luschan lycanthropes, being small and nimble, would be great allies when exploring dwarvish caverns and dragon lairs.

Let me know if you want me to write up Kilian's rendition of the events. Tiana will need to translate, so it could be quite fun to read!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The Lake

Er, no, milady, I have not known for any creature to be in that direction, except for the eagles you speak of, and they are enough to make us flee in terror lest they eat us. It is probably just a lake.

Can't be sure if he's lying or not.

The story about overcoming the disease

Truly, you have given us more information about this than we have ever had before. We did not even know it was a disease, or about potions or any of it!

As Roddy told you, there are many races of Old Cruthy. Ourselves, and the Hares, and the Otters, and others. I do not want to say too much about them, as they have not made any friendly agreement with you, as we have. And we all must hide from humans and goblins as best we can. There are also the Dog Men, but they are different. They have been there forever, guarding that pass. Perhaps they are the original Cruthy? Who knows? Certainly not any of us.

What I do know is that in times long gone, no creature of Cruthy could not change into a fully human form. That ability is made by some terrible magic, linked to the moon. Humans used this magic, so they could transform into animals. They used the blood of Cruthy to help them, and the blood of Cruthy became polluted and some of our kind turned evil became what you are calling Lycanthropes

The Ravens (Fitheach), Cats, (Caitheach) and Weasels (Nisha) have gone bad. Or at least, our stories tell us they have gone bad, but we have not seen any of these but the Nisha, not in our memory. Maybe there are other races that have gone bad, too.

So whatever bad magic, maybe your friend's strange northern constitution has allowed him to survive. As for the girl...yes, I can smell it on her, but not strongly.

Whatever his dream was, I can't think of a place where it might have happened. There is no monastary or building around here that still stands. And I do not know where Black Vale (Cwm Dubh) is, I'm afraid.

As for the nisha, they have not been up this way in many years and we thought we were safe in this place, as humans never come, nor goblins either. But in the last year our people have smelled and seen more of them, until just lately. Perhaps we have you to thank for that.

We are also glad that you destroyed that box. Roddy said it gave off wicked magic like nothing he has ever seen. Incidentally, he is sorry that he did take the red-headed girl's hair pin. It was just so tempting to take it, and he did not know who you were. The humans have magic, sometimes lying around in the strangest of places, and they cannot even see it. It makes sense to take it from them, if they are not using it.

Other matters

The vino is fine.
No need for Kilian's tale. I'm liking hearing Tiana's voice.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Thank you for sharing the history of the Cruthy. It is not known to my people. We met the dogmen a month ago. It was... odd. Though we were right beside them, they did not acknowledge our presence. Can you tell me more about them?"

I was hoping that the luscha would be able to help Jane with her predicament, or at least lead us to another who did. Dead end! I'll try one last tack to see if I can find out more about the wizard at the lake. Otherwise, we'll have to deal with Jane another way.

"Brother Alfyl, what about the eagles? Are they Cruthy as well? They appear sentinent, and once bore us a written message. If we wrote them for help with Jane, do you think they'd be able and willing?"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Er...the eagles are not Cruthy. No. I don't really know anything about them. I think they are just eagles."

He's clearly lying this time.

"As for the dog men, I have told you much of what I know. It is a long time since any of us were near that place. on account of the nisha being in the woods, and generally, the threat of strange things that lurk in the mountains. Mostly we just keep ourselves safe. But one of our number will be happy to accompany you. It could be Roddy, although he is sometimes a bit erratic and his speech is not the best. There is a young woman, Abigall, who might be better suited."
Woe

Post by Woe »

When Alfyl mentions the eagles again, Tiana gives him a long look, but doesn't press the issue further.

"When will Roddy or Abigall be ready to leave? Should we wait for them here?"

Also...
"Can you ask Roddy to return the hairpin from the redheaded human over there? It may be magical, but it was also a family heirloom, to her from her grandmother when she was a babe."

Time to wrap up and head out! Which is... um... time to do some thinking on it. :)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Alfyl is happy to give back the hairpin. If you are prepared to wait here the evening, someone (the woman or Roddy) will be ready to go with you tomorrow, provided you aren't going west, that is. They will bring the pin.

Jane is a toughie. She did give you a lot of information, but now poses you a rather serious problem. Fido dislikes being around her. But Bruce can't see why you don't just tie her up when the time comes.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Can the party buy iron rations from the shapelings? Can I call them that, to differentiate good shapeshifters from bad ones aka lycanthropes?

If not, the party will wait here but Tiana, Talin, and Freya will run to Red Oak to buy more rations. Anna is welcome to come too if she wants to spend the night with her family.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

It was 5 in the afternoon on Monday August 18th, in E13. I am assuming you all spend the night here.

As the sun is setting, one of the eagles comes close to your camp and watches you for a while and then flies away. There's an opportunity to interact if you want to. Alfyn is still preset at this point.

The following morning, Tue 19th August, it is still overcast and muggy. A young Lucha called Abigall comes into the clearing of your camp just before dawn, setting Fido barking.

She introduces herself and is well spoken in ordinary Sylvan, much more so than Roddy. (You later learn these creatures native language is a complex dialect of Sylvan which Tiana finds almost incomprehensible).

She gives back the magic hairpin to Anna and apologizes for Roddy stealing it. As far as they have been able to work out, it protects the wearer against the cold. It does in fact have a small red gem at the top. Anna's grandmother had it. That's all she knows.

The Righteous Quest for Anna's Hairpin is finally at an end. EXP accrued.

Moving right along - no, you can't buy Iron rations from the Lucha (incidentally you can refer to good shapechangers as Cruthy and bad ones as Lycanthropes.)

So, Anna, Talin, and Freya head to Red Oak and back via Carr Farm, which takes 2 days in total. I've overruled you about sending Tiana because leaving the Lucha alone with two dwarves and a nisha isn't a good idea. It's her they know best and they wouldn't like it if she left.

Incidentally, on the way up to Red Oak the scouts pick up recent human trails in C14, going south into the burial mound hex at D13. It looks to Talin like a group of humans, maybe 4 or 5, heading in very recently (1-2 days ago).

Do you follow that? If so, we have to pick up play on the 19th.

Otherwise, you return to the Lucha Meet hex on the evening of the 20th. It is finally raining, and it has rained all day, so you are soaked. You have as much food and other supplies as you want.

Do you talk to anyone in Red Oak or just get in and out pretty fast?

Also - what treasure did you take from the treehouse? Can I assume you left all the weapons and heavy gear and just took the obviously valuable stuff?

Nearly ready to start chapter 8.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Nearly!

Yes! I want to write a letter to the eagles. I'll write it up right after I get back from the gym. :)

Come to think of it, they'll need more torches/lanterns. I'll post a shopping list in a few hours. It'll be basic stuff: torches, oil, that sort of thing.

Agh, and what to do about Jane? She can't go east so we'll probably need to cut her loose at some point. That'll be mostly deadly for someone, I'm sure.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot