RED OAK: Beyond the Mirror

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Talking to the nisha bandit

Post by Longman »

Talin and Kilian are given access to the prisoner.

You saw this guy in Cyn Dol, taking stuff in backpacks from the undertaker's house to the nisha's other base in Cyn Dol (Ross's house). I don't believe you ever found out for sure what was in the backpacks, but you suspect it was herbal potions to control lycanthropic transformations, and maybe healing potions as well.

You believe his name to be Arby. You think he is actually quite high up the nisha hierarchy. Jane also told you that Arby was a major potion runner for the nisha, and also that he had magic powers, and could transform himself into other people.

He was captured in an ROR raid on Ross's house, along with Ross. Ross killed a ranger in the process (a young one Jason), and was hung for it. This man was asleep during the raid and didn't kill anyone.

The ROR say he claims his name is Philby Walton, from Bowen, and he hasn't done anything wrong, he was just in the house when the raid happened.

Wen the thief could verify is this guy is Arby or not. It seem odd that the ROR have not already taken this step.

So, you are in the cell with this guy. What do you say to him?
Woe

Re: RED OAK: Beyond the Mirror

Post by Woe »

Kilian attempts to explain the "bad dwarf worse dwarf" interrogation routine to Talin, who only vaguely understands the idea. As a result, they end up doing "good human worse dwarf" to whatever comedic value you find. :)

Because the guy may be a shapeshifter, Kilian and Talin work out a code phrase.

I'm not sure I want to be /IN/ the cell. Also, no weapons while in the cell. The prisoner is properly manacled, right? How fast can he be pinned to the wall by the ROR spears "just in case" you decide to throw me into the cell with a full-on doppleganger? Will there be any armed ROR outside the cell?

"There’s another guy called Arby from Bowen who is really ugly, who has been out here a few times but mostly hangs around Cyn Dol."
'Muppet' Ross was seen talking to a very ugly looking man with a wide forehead, who went south to Bowen the same day you went into the woods.

"Alright Philby, yer gonna tell me why are ye 'ere." says Kilian, glowering up at Arby. How ugly is this guy? The prisoner, not Kilian. Could he fit the prior descriptions?

Talin adds, "I'm Talin from the ROR..."

Kilian interrupts. "And I'm a dwarf. Philby. If das yer real name. I hear ye 'ave been runnin' bootleg fer some undesireables. Tell me 'ow ye got messed up wit Ross. I'm not gonna believe ye were just restin' dere, 'cuz da Pike is better hospitation dan sleepin' wit a gravedigga."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

What? I wasn't at the gravedigger's house. Why would I go there? I was at Ross's house (the cottage). I went round and we had a few drinks and I feel asleep on his couch. The next thing I know there's armed guys at the door. Ross panics and takes one out with an axe, thinking it's bandits. I didn't do anything. I'm just a lowlife, I got no job. Doesn't mean I'm evil. I didn't kill anyone. I can't afford the Pike.

In answer to your other questions:

No, this guys isn't that ugly and nor does he have a big wide forehead, like the description you have of Arby. But, Talin is fairly sure it is the same guy you saw with Ross, carrying backpacks of stuff out of the undertaker's house. Kilian is now less sure it is that guy. He thinks the other guy had a bigger nose.

On your instructions: you are not in the cell with the guy. You are outside. He is not manacled.

Woe

Post by Woe »

oops. I thought the undertaker was Ross. Oh well.. I'll roll with it!

"Hmpf. Believe ya or da rangers... Methinks ye hidin' sumfin. Ye sayin' ye never hung wit da gravedigger? We already know Ross was in bed wit 'im, and ye were found in Ross's bed.
Don't take no genius to figger somethun not al'ight 'ere."

Ill leave backpacks for the next line. What's the local justice like, innocent until proven guilty or let them rot in the dungeons?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Muppet" Ross was a dumb human the nisha were taking advantage of. The undertaker's name was Tobias Moll. He fled town after you raided his house and never came back.

The local law are led by Captain Emlin Moss, who is a decent person. They don't have any evidence against this guy, but were also pretty sure something was wrong so they just decided to hang on to him. They are hoping you can figure it out.

"Look, I'm telling you I'm just a deadbeat. I got an aunt in Conis Water, that's all now, my parents are dead. But people in Cyn Dol know me. You ask around about old Philby. They'll tell you it's me."

One of the ROR guards takes Talin aside. "That's the story he's been telling the whole time, sir. We did ask around about that name and a few people seem to know him. But we kept him prisoner just in case."

(The reason he's calling Talin "sir" is because he knows Talin is going to get promoted to Lieutenant very soon.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

OOC: Talin, promoted? He (I) missed the announcement, so Talin will be a bit surprised about the "sir" stuff but doesn't bring it up. He assumes it's all part of "the act."

Talin intercedes in the dwarf's questioning. "Right. We've heard that story before. What's the name of your aunt in Conis Water? We'll send a guy to check it out." He'll get out the Salenish code book, thumb through it until near the back, then add, "We got some of the names already from other pickups. Tell me whether I have all the Cyn Dol followups from the last round: a Fat Gower, a Miranda, Randolf the Hand, Ronwhen the... hmm, that part is smudged." He flips a page and continues, "an Arnold and of course, undertaker Moll."

(Any reaction to the book or names? Any sweating? Go dice go!)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Everybody knows who Tobias Moll is. He left town. I thought he was accused of witchcraft or sorcery or something. I don't know the rest of those people. You've arrested the wrong person."

He gives his aunt's name.

He does seem a bit startled to see the code book, but doesn't say anything. Neither Kilian or Talin can tell if he is lying about the names. He seems very anxious, but that could just be because he's locked in jail.

You didn't know you were going to be promoted, but you you do now.

"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"You've arrested the wrong person."

"And whoz da right person? Is it dis guy named Arby?" asks Kilian.

There. That should open up any additional chances they have to find out any more info from this guy. Assuming nothing interesting happens (and if something does, obviously they won't), they'll wrap up with:

"I don't think we learned enough yet to release him. Do you, Kilian?" asks Talin. The dwarf grunts dismissively. "Alright Philby, we'll check out your story. Conis Water is somewhat far. Checking that out will take a few weeks, which is probably adequate as I've heard the magistrate will be coming up from Brant too. Get comfortable. You'll be here for a few more days."

Unless something interesting happens, that will wrap up this part. I want Tiana to see if she can make a Belladonna tea to feed him, or something equally appropriate given what they've learned of the Nisha. I haven't read back to see what the concoctions were, but I recall an exchange between Tiana and Jane once making me hopeful something exists in the archives.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"You're the third person who has asked me about Arby. Before I got arrested, two other guys I don't know in Cyn Dol came up to me and called me Arby. One of them seemed pretty angry. I told them I had no idea who Arby was. The angry guy followed me for a bit shouting at me, saying something about owing him money. The other guy just looked at me funny and then walked away."

Conis Water is about two days away. You could have an ROR agent there and back in four. But you are increasingly of the view that there IS a real guy called Philby and a real guy called Arby. The question is....who is who?

Let me know what you decide about your potion plan. I'll post about the corporal later today.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Wha?" Kilian tries his best to look puzzled, or maybe he's puzzled and trying his best to not look it. He's a dwarf anyway and continually puzzled by humans, so maybe he's puzzled about how humans use so few words and never say anything useful. "Tell us wha' ye know of dese odder people. Descibe dem, what dey look like, dat sort of ding. And how much money, and fer wot?"

Let's do the corporal first. We can continue with the Talin+Kilian scene, then cut to a Tiana+Freya scene (though I don't think they had much to do other than booking a coach) and then regroup later. Some of it is because the humans are a tad xenophobic with the elves.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot