GREYFORGE: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

GREYFORGE: ARCHIVE

Post by Longman »

Welcome to the campaign, GrendeltheBrave!

First of all - I'm using the pre-generated statistics system which is here:

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF ... ion-r1.pdf

You get statistics lines 2, 13, 19, and 19 again, for 4 characters. You can re-arrange the order to suit the sort of characters you want.

If you decide to have two 3rd level characters or one 5th level character, plus retainers, then just pick the best lines. (Line 13 has an 18, so I'd go for that one!)

You can only have one spell-caster per party. If you are in the same part of the world that Woe is in, you can have an elf-mage (telekinesis), a druid, a human seer (visions), or a dwarf cleric.

I give maximum HP at 1st level, and I also give spell-casters additional 1st level spells based on their main attribute. I'll let you know your spell list. Check out the different options for character types, or ask me about an idea you have.

At this stage the game is about reclaiming old human territory from the goblins who invaded 600 years ago, but have now become weak and vulnerable to reconquest. Adventure parties all along the border between human lands and Boldenwald are engaged in this pursuit. But, it's been so long that they now literally have no idea what is just over the mountains that divide the main northern continent of the world. So they have to explore as they go (hex by hex).

If you want to do that, the easiest thing to do would be to have a party composed mostly of humans with maybe an elf or dwarf for flavor. Woe's party is led by an elf, engaged in a particular mission we worked out between the two of us. You could be doing something similar if you want.

I listed other party ideas back in the other message I sent you. You don't have to be from the area that Woe is playing in. The game is set right at the start of the Age of Exploration and there are still lots of areas of the world that haven't connected with each other yet. So, if you decide to open up a new campaign area or idea, then I'm open to suggestions. Dungeons? City intrigue? Running a bandit gang? That's all fine.

By the way, I have no problem with you reading Woe's threads to get an idea of what is going on for her group. It is very unlikely to spoil the game plot-wise, because it is all pretty sandbox style, and there is no major plot to spoil.

Have fun.

Steve.
Longman

Re: Grendel's Startup Thread

Post by Longman »

In my ruminations I was liking the idea of the band of dwarves exploring in the north.
3 Lev 1 Dwarfs, maybe a human Spellcaster (still lev 1) I like the idea of starting at the beginning.

Perhaps the wizard came up travelling and was able to convince several dwarves to accompany him on a grand quest for epic loot.

OK. I love the idea of mostly dwarves in the party. If you want you can have a human ranger and a dwarf cleric, plus two dwarves of other types.

Or, you can have a human SEER who has seen the location of some treasure the dwarves lost a long time ago.

Or, a northern style (Inuit) shaman on a mission with some dwarves.

In much of the human world that Woe is operating in, traditional wizard magic is unknown. Human arcane magic used to exist before the goblins came, but the art has been lost. And the Church is quite repressive as well. So you can't be a regular human wizard in that sense, if you want to have the northern dwarvish party).
Grendelthebrave

Re: Grendel's Startup Thread

Post by Grendelthebrave »

Hey Sorry about the delayed reply, the notification email got buried in my 'Updates' folder, I've remedied this now.

Anyway!

Human Seer + 2 Fighter Dwarves and Dwarf thief? How does that sound?

Female human Seer beset with visions of an ancient treasure, but associated with a sense of dread surrounding the treasure? I'm up for whatever the visions may have been.

Dwarf chieftain (or other appropriate Leader title) sent a token force of a couple warriors and one of his trusted agents (thief) in order to ensure the treasure made its way back to the Hold.

I've picked out the stats, just need to select some equipment:

Milly- Human Seer 4HP
STR:10
INT:18(+3)
Wis:12
Dex:11
Con:11
Cha:15(+1)

Chevo-Dwarf Fighter 9HP
STR:17(+2)
INT:8(-1)
Wis:13
Dex:14(+1)
Con:15(+1)
Cha:13(+1)

Cholum-Dwarf Fighter 9HP
INT:9(0)
Wis:10
Dex:13(+1)
Con:13(+1)
Cha:7(-1)

Thann-Dwarf Thief 4HP
STR:10
INT:15(+1)
Wis:9
Dex:17(+2)
Con:9

How do these look? I'll come up with specific motivations, or as detailed a backstory as you'd like.

I apologize for the delayed response, I am very much still excited!
Chevo: HP 4/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:(days) 5
Cholum: HP 3/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:0
Milly:HP 4/4 AC: 11; Rations:10
Thann:HP 8/8 AC:13; Rations:5
Lord Elkminster: Rations: 35
Game Points: 0/4; Nov 5, 2015
Rations IG as of Fri, May 30, morning
Longman

Re: GREYFORGE: Visions of the Hoard

Post by Longman »

Those look fine. :) I am very happy with the party choice, especially the Seer. That will be fun.

You can all have 100gp starting cash, with an additional 100 gp granted to CHEVO, who is the younger son of a notable clan chief. Use the core rules or the 'equipment emporium' supplement, by all means (look under Downloads).

Woe had already invented the location 'Greyforge' which is a dwarf fortress that fell to the goblins 20 years ago, and was then re-taken by the dwarves 5 years ago, but at a great cost. You can begin there. CHEVO is the youngest son of a clan chief at Greyforge. (This doesn't mean his Dad is the overall leader of the city - there are numerous other clans of the same sort of power in the city - Goldeye, Stonemettle, Hillfire, and others. You can make up your own clan.)

Please note that all your characters get a background skill - and the seer and the thief get 2 each for having high stats. The skill list is here.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1168#p27415

You can certainly have woodsman as a skill - but tracking is not available at 1st level except for scouts and rangers. You can buy it as an extra background skill later.

In the next post I will put up a map and some more background and some stuff about the visions. We can get things rolling by the weekend I think.

Cheers.
Grendelthebrave

As far as the line for 'metal armour' is concerned, is it anything heavier than chain mail that counts as metal for determining whether movement speed is reduced?

Just wondering about Ring Mail and Brigandine, do those count as metal as well, resulting in speed of 20' with a light load?

I'll have my equipment picked out this evening.

The clan name I've come up with is Onyxbreaker.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Studded leather and ring mail all count as 'leather armor' for the purposes of encumbrance. Basically if it is AC 14, you can still wear it and move at 30' with a light load. Brigandine counts as metal armor (speed 20).

With everything above leather, sleeping becomes a bit tricky. This means if you are wearing studded leather or ring mail and you try to sleep in it, it might be difficult in the long term. Eventually, masterwork armor will help you out with that.

I'll post background later today.
Grendelthebrave

Would you like me to post my character stats here formatted like Woe has in the "Characters" thread?

I was also wondering, how much it might cost if Chevo's battle axe was a family heirloom, perhaps as an Onyx alloy, or with Onyx engraving on the blade. I understand that a level 1 fighter wouldn't be able to afford a HQ weapon or anything, but I'd be willing to pay more for a fancy axe to reflect his wealthier upbringing.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The price for high quality items is 10 times normal. A battle axe is 7gp so that would be 70 for that item. I could give you a +1 to hit bonus with that axe, because of the excellent balance.

Yes, use Woe's sheets as a starter point. I should have mentioned that.

I keep track of EXP, HP, etc. I'll ask you to keep track of food. Arrows get lost at 1 per every 2 fired, unless I say otherwise.

You start in Greyforge in early May. The snow has nearly all melted except is shadow pockets on some of the hills.

Can I ask that you head out of the gates and just have also around for a while? But not too close to Uppers because you already know that it is full of goblins. A quick trip out will help you to get used to the hex movement system.

Cheers,

Steve.
Grendelthebrave

GREYFORGE: CHARACTERS

Milly Phaendel:
Milly.jpg
Milly.jpg (935.98 KiB) Viewed 13985 times
Human Seer 2

Weapons:
Staff(1d4)(1#)
Sling: -4 to hit, 20 bullets(2#), (d4)
Dagger(d4)(1#)
Armour: Scholar's Robes(4#)(AC10)
HP: 6
BAB: +1
Move: 30'

Attributes:
Str:10
Int:18(+3) Speak: Yoll, Aleuti, Dwarvish.
Wis:12
Dex:11
Con:11
Cha:15(+1)

Saving Throws:
Death Ray or Poison:13
Magic Wands:14
Paralysis or Petrify:13
Dragon Breath:15
Spells:14

Skills:
Navigator/Cartographer(Land)
Sage(Regional history)

Spells:

Place Read (1 SP)
First-Person Flash

Equipment:
Staff(1#)
Sling, 20 bullets(2#)
Dagger(1#)
Weapon Belt(2#)
Oilskin Satchel on Baldric(2.5#)
-Writing Ink/Quill
-Parchment
-Scrollcase(2)(1#)
-Spellbook-Travelling(0.5#) (This could be a journal at this point, depending how Seers work)
-Hand Mirror
-tinderbox(1#)
-glass vial
-Large Pouch

-beltpouch(2)
-Backpack
-14 days rations(28#)
-Torches(6)(1#)
-winter blanket (3#)

308gp, 7sp

Encumbrance: without pack:8.5# with pack: 44.5# (LL60#, HL150#)

Background: WIP: Young cartographer and scholar, who started to be visited by strange visions when she turned 21 years old.

Edit: May 31, rations->7days; Encumbrance+loot from Logger's camp
Edit: June 17, rations->14 days, Encumbrance updated.
Edit: July 29, Gold +325(Owly Saddlebags) -20gp, rations
Edit: Oct 19, Level up. Saving throws, HP+2, New spell.
Last edited by Grendelthebrave on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Grendelthebrave

Chevo Onyxbreaker
Chevo.jpg
Chevo.jpg (13.97 KiB) Viewed 13985 times
Dwarf Fighter 2

Weapons:
HQ Battle Axe(+1 to hit) (+5 to hit / 1d8+3)
Shortbow (1d6) 20 arrows (+3 to hit, 1d6)
Armour:
Leather Armour AC 14(w/shield bonus)
Medium shield(+1/+1AC)
Move:30 ft.

HP:3/14

BAB:+2

Combat Skill - extra +1 damage with battle axe.

Attributes:
Int:8(-1)
Wis:13(+1)
Dex:14(+1)
Con:15(+1)

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 11
Magic Wands: 12
Paralysis/Petrify: 14
Dragon Breath:15
Spells: 16

Skills:
Diplomat
Darkvision 60'
Able to detect slanting passages,traps, shifting walls, new const.(1-2 on 1d6)
Saving Throws:(+4vs DeathRay/Poison,Magic Wands, Paralysis/Petrify, and Spells, +3 vs. Dragon Breath)
Brute (+1 Dam w/ Battle Axe)

Equipment:
HQ War Axe(7#)
Shortbow(2#)
Quiver w/18 arrows(3#)
Leather Armour(15#)
Medium Shield(5#)

Backpack:
Glass Bottle(1#)
Iron Spikes(12)(1#)
Pole(10')(10#)
Map Case(0.5#)
Mirror, Small metal
Bandages(5)
Oil(1#)
Cooking Pot(2#)
7 days rations(14#)
Large Sacks(3)
tinderbox(1#)
torches(6)(1#)
waterskin(2#)
whetstone(1#)
Winter blanket (3#)

134 gp, 8 sp

Encumbrance:With Pack: 71.5#, without pack: 32# (LL:72#, Heavy 180#)

Background WIP:
Son of chief Onyxbreaker from GreyForge hall. Sent with Seer to recover lost treasure.

Edit: May 31, Rations-->2days; Encumbrance; Loot from Logger's
Edit: June 16, Gold +200gp from sale of woodwork
Edit: June 17, Gold -80gp (134gp,8sp); Encumbrance
Edit: June 21, HP+4, Saving throws updated, BAB +1
Last edited by Grendelthebrave on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.