Foray 1: The Descent Begins.

Moderator: MedievalMan

MedievalMan

Foray 1: The Descent Begins.

Post by MedievalMan »

But a few scant leagues from the walls of the bustling city of Greyheim lay the crumbling ruins known as the Castle of the Mad Archmage, Jophob Schlech, long shunned by the local townsfolk. Decades ago, a series of vast treasure hoards were discovered in the twisting mazes beneath the castle proper, along with hungry beasts and deadly traps aplenty. Legends were made in that time; the names of those early explorers will live on for centuries. Eventually, though, the dungeons lost their luster as the treasures became smaller and harder to win, the traps were dismantled, and the monsters slain; eventually only the desperate or jaded dared enter the dungeons beneath the castle.

Recently, however, reports have surfaced of renewed stockpiles of wealth in the dark passages and chambers beneath the hilock upon which the still-ruined castle rests. Regions once deemed devoid of monstrous habitation have been reported to teem with renewed activity. Traps both magical and mundane have once more brought explorers to their doom. Changes both subtle and gross have been noted in the very layout of the passages and chambers, rendering old maps and knowledge dangerously unreliable if not outright useless. Something is definitely afoot, and most honest folk in the nearby city find the prospect an unnerving one indeed.

To the bold and the daring, however, only one message needs to be heard. The castle and its dungeons are once more ripe for exploration, and new legends are ready to be made!
Having finally decided to brave the dungeons yourselves, your small group has made its way from Greyheim towards the notorious castle in search of a way down into the dungeons beneath. After passing through the great gates of the castle itself and carefully making your way towards the shell of the central round keep you at last come upon a wide circular stairway descending into darkness...
hurcheon

Re: Foray 1: The Descent Begins.

Post by hurcheon »

Sim says "That is certainly a dank and forboding outlook, a pit of hellish blackness concealing the Gods alone know what evils.

"Someone should go down there and sort them out!"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Aye." And now that he has put his morale-inspiring speech behind him, Hrothgar starts climbing down the stairs.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Jaq draws his sword and proclaims "Let us enter this pit and rid it of whatever evil lurks and mayhap collect some treasure besides." With that he follows Hrothgar down the stairs.
Last edited by Blazeguard on Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
hurcheon

Post by hurcheon »

Sim looks down "Well then. Err. I don't want to be left up here on my own. It get's scary on my own. Wait for me!"

And so saying he follows down the steps
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Bringing up the rear Gladevar follows ever ready to fight
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Gemshort Rocksniffer looks at the crowd heading down and remarks, "A dumber task has never before been undertaken. How I let you folks talk me into this I will never know."

Grumbling under his breath he follows down after the others.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

((So which of you has the light?))

Descending the great spiral stairwell into the darkness what feels like hours pass as flickering light you guide yourselves by illuminates seemingly repeating stone step after stone step. You at last finally come to a landing with an archway opening into a large chamber. The stairwell does not end at the landing however, and continues to spiral deeper into the earth...
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Jaq pauses on the landing, "Hrothgar, have you been able to deduce anything from the stonework as we've descended? Any idea how far down we've come?"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"I imagine we be deep enough by now for this to be the seventh circle of hell," mutters Gemshort Rocksniffer