Shakedown Cruise, Part 2 (Episode 2)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Shakedown Cruise, Part 2 (Episode 2)

Post by Solomoriah »

Blazeguard wrote:"Really?! So you claim you'll return her to us in one piece and yet you don't even know where she is? Tsk, tsk, tsk, major. You should know better than to try to steal a SASF spaceship. I repeat, Stand Down or I will be forced to detonate the torpedo."
Nikolayev didn't reply to Steele's warning.
Blazeguard wrote:While trying to keep the major occupied with his ribbing and threats, Steele will attempt to maneuver the ship closer to the martian ship and Grimm, while keeping a ship (barrier) between them and the major.
Lt. Steele engaged the main drive at 3 G's for nine seconds, spun the ship fast enough to knock Lt. Scott off his feet, and a few seconds later engaged at 3 G's again.
Hywaywolf wrote:Scott moves through the engine room picking up various tools like a space rated cutting torch (assuming we don't have lasers), a long pole used to hold up equipment while it is bolted in place, a couple oxygen bottles he will try to use for propulsion, and of course his vulcan pistol (attached to his suit with a lanyard like those old british officers pistols). Then he will get in the airlock, shut the interior door, put down his mask and tighten all his seals, attach to the locking clamps and open the exterior door.

Then, since he probably can't see what is ahead of us wait till told to exit by teh Captain.
No pole, sorry. You got everything else though.

Lt. Scott felt like he was walking up a steep hill from the engine room to the airlock, but he made it at last. Hooking up his tether, he awaited his Captain's orders.

Okay, it's going to take a couple of rounds for Pegasus to be in range. Amanda, you're up.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Woe

Post by Woe »

Lt. Grimm checks the transmit light in her suit. She doesn't know why nobody from the Pegasus has responded, but shrugs it off. Now is not the time to attempt to figure it out, even if she could.

Keeping one eye on the airlock and one eye on the Skylark (including still-attached cable between the two), she will:
if she thinks cutting through the cable is faster get out the bone saw out of her trauma bag and go to town on the detached cable.
if she thinks detaching the cable with the wrench is faster start disconnecting the cable not attached to the Skylark.

Her goal is to sabotage the Skylark charging for quite some time.

If she can get both ends detached, she will the cable away from the two spacecrafts.

(I assume it's an old-school hacksaw and not a Stryker saw?)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Woe wrote:Keeping one eye on the airlock and one eye on the Skylark (including still-attached cable between the two), she will:
if she thinks cutting through the cable is faster get out the bone saw out of her trauma bag and go to town on the detached cable.
if she thinks detaching the cable with the wrench is faster start disconnecting the cable not attached to the Skylark.
Looking into the open hull of the Martian ship, Amanda was dismayed to discover that the cable had a different sort of connection than on the Skylark. So she pulled out her saw and began cutting the cable; she was relieved to discover that the bone saw cut the aluminum readily, though it seemed likely she'd need a new blade when she was done.

It took Amanda longer to cut through the thick cable than she had expected; every moment she expected a Vulcan bolt right between her shoulder blades. When the saw finally went through, she threw the loose end of the cable wide away from her, and got her first chance to look "up" toward the Skylark.

She saw Nikolayev standing on the side of the Skylark, bracing himself against the aft starboard ramjet strut and aiming her pistol carefully at her. She dodged as best she could, but having to hang on to the ladder limited her movement, and the Major's bolt struck her. Everything went dark.

As Pegasus completed its closing maneuver, Steele saw the Martian ship's main engine ignite. The smaller ship accelerated away even as Pegasus synchronized with Skylark.

Well, what now?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If Scott can see the russian firing at Amanda, he will fire back. If he can't see him but can see the skylark, he will disengage his lanyard from the Pegasus and launch toward the skylark feet first. he will aim his Vulcan pistol between his legs toward the Skylark and watch for any danger.

(that dang martian ship got out of here in a hurry.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:(that dang martian ship got out of here in a hurry.)
It's moving off right now, actually, with a long glowing stream of fire obscuring your vision. Steele intended to put the Martian ship between Pegasus and Skylark to avoid observation by Nikolayev.

You're arriving backwards, which is actually how you arrive most of the time since you decelerate by flipping the ship around and thrusting backwards. I'll need Steele to tell me what orientation he wants the ship in... cockpit toward the Skylark ("upside down"), airlock toward Skylark, or something else.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Steele will bring the ship in with the cockpit towards the Skylark. He wants to try and keep an eye on the Russian.

As he sees the martian ship start pulling away Steele radios to Scott, "Can you see Grimm? Did she get away?" If the response is negative, Steele barks, "Get back in here ASAP. Forget the Russian. We've got to follow Grimm."

He will begin calculating the trajectory of the martian ship to try to figure out its next destination.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The Martian ship's flaming trail faded quickly, and Steele discovered that, in the thirty or so seconds it took Pegasus to get into position, things had evidently changed. There was no sign of the cosmonaut Nikolayev, for one thing; either he had walked around to the underside of Skylark, or he had left with the Martian ship. One length of the Russian's power cable drifted slowly in space, its white insulation reflecting the light of the star; following it with his eyes, Steele saw a white-suited figure drifting.

I can't make any of your "ifs" work with that situation, so I'm going to wait to see what you want to do next.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Steele scanned the area and his eyes lit on a white-suited figure. "Grimm! Grimm!" he shouted into the mic, but there was no response. "Scott! Can you see her? Get her back in here!"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Since the cockpit of Pegasus faces toward Skylark, and Grimm is more or less in between, the logical way for Scott to get to her is to walk around to the "top" of Pegasus, kill his magnets and kick off; when he gets to her (if he's on target), he can hook her to his tether and haul them both back in. However, I'll wait to see if Hyway has a different plan, or alterations to that one, before I judge the results.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Scott will retrieve the white suited Grimm. Does he seen any silver suited russians?