Shakedown Cruise, Part 2 (Episode 2)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Woe

Re: Shakedown Cruise, Part 2 (Episode 2)

Post by Woe »

Two other questions:
- does Amanda know other methods to disable the ship from the exterior? For example, an exterior service panel that has the fuses for the warp drive ignition? I'd rather Amanda disable the ship while being where the Major is not. Scott would have much better ideas, provided the Pegasus broke radio silence.
- how far away is the Russian ship? Could she grab a power cable, untether, and jump to the Martian ship?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Scott waits impatiently over the chaff activation switches until they arrive in the vicinity of the two other ships. He hopes these works because he has no desire to start a war between the SASF and the russians, which is what we would be doing if we fired on them with our nukes or even the probes, especially if they broke through to the interior and killed everyone inside. Hopefully the chaff bombs would disorient them long enough to allow us to get back to the ships and stop them from jumping.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

"Thank God, she's still alive", Steele thinks to himself as he hears Grimm's voice.

"Roger Lieutenant", he responds. "Finn! Fire the torpedo! Stand by to launch again!"

If possible, Steele will call down to Finn off-air and tell him not to detonate the torpedo until ordered to.

Steele will then hail the enemy, "This is Lieutenant James Steele of the Solar Alliance Space Force. Currently, there is a torpedo headed for your ship. If you do not respond and stand down immediately I will not hesitate to detonate it and destroy your ship. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to harm either our ship or Lieutenant Grimm or we WILL retaliate."

While waiting for a response he will continue to direct the ship towards the Skylark, trying to get as close as possible to where Grimm was last seen.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

So, you're letting the chaff bombs pass by without detonating? Not that I care either way, just need to know.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

No, we will detonate the chaff bombs but will hold off on the torpedo (for now).
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Thank goodness, the cavalry is finally here. (in English) "Hooah. XO, it was a pleasure to serve with you. Looks like John was right after all."

She'll keep working on detaching one of power couplings from the Skylark, keeping an eye out for Major Nikolayev. Once she does that, she'll fling the coupling away from the Skylark. Not sure what to do next, she'll head "down" more on the ship, away from the airlock, and brace for impact. She's not too sure about her tether, so she'll cinch it down on the nearest strut.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Woe wrote:"Major, I understand. I hope you don't but I understand. As for your man, he is still alive. Just untethered and drifting in space." fooey to you, threatening me with my own sidearm.
Nikolayev didn't reply. She had no idea how long it would take him to get past the airlock, but she knew once he was outside he'd make good time getting to her.
Woe wrote:Also in French: "Castle, nuke this. Please. Don't let these ships into Russian hands. Or get the darn Marines over her now. I have a pissed off Soviet after me."

Once one of the cables is fully disconnected, she'll untether from the ship and jump to the Martian one with the loose end of the cable in hand, taking all of the precautions to not electrocute herself in the process.
Looking into the open guts of the Skylark, she could see the power cables. One pole was connected, the other floating free; the connectors incorporated explosive disconnects, which had not yet been armed.

She took hold of the loose cable. Reassured of her safety by the recessed contacts, she released her tether, then wrapped the heavy cable around her midsection. Squatting, she turned off her magnetic boots and kicked off. The Martian ship was "above" Skylark, while she was below; when she reached the end of the cable, it yanked taut and she began to swing wide away from Skylark. For a moment she could see Major Nikolayev trudging aft along the lower surface of the ship, but then her trajectory took her out of sight of him.

Streaks of brilliant fire burst out all around the ship. She could only hope one of them didn't hit her as she began drawing in the cable, hand over hand toward the Martian ship.
Blazeguard wrote:"Roger Lieutenant", he responds. "Finn! Fire the torpedo! Stand by to launch again!"

If possible, Steele will call down to Finn off-air and tell him not to detonate the torpedo until ordered to.
No problem, just push the key that says "intercom" instead of the one that says "send."
Blazeguard wrote:Steele will then hail the enemy, "This is Lieutenant James Steele of the Solar Alliance Space Force. Currently, there is a torpedo headed for your ship. If you do not respond and stand down immediately I will not hesitate to detonate it and destroy your ship. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to harm either our ship or Lieutenant Grimm or we WILL retaliate."
"Lieutenant Steele," replied Nikolayev. "Are you in command, then? I wonder what happened to your Captain? Never mind. Your Lieutenant Grimm is nearby, I'm sure... would you really detonate your missile and risk killing her?"
Blazeguard wrote:While waiting for a response he will continue to direct the ship towards the Skylark, trying to get as close as possible to where Grimm was last seen.
Through a feat of heroic piloting, Steele brought Pegasus into sync with the other ships at a range of about two miles; at that range, he could see both of the other ships clearly, and just as clearly could see the silver-suited Russian on the underside of Skylark. At first he couldn't see Grimm, but then he recognized her white spacesuit. Somehow she was climbing a tether toward the Martian ship. She would come up behind the cockpit, near the place where Castle was shot, he knew, but what she was up to he could only guess.

Finn found piloting the Centurion missile to be much the same as controlling a Bluebird probe; he swiftly brought it into clear sight of the Martian ship's cockpit, fifty meters or so out of the enemy's reach.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Following the proceedings from the engine room Scott calls up to the bridge, "XO, should I get into the airlock and go out to assist amanda in whatever craziness she is up to?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Lieutenant Steele," replied Nikolayev. "Are you in command, then? I wonder what happened to your Captain? Never mind. Your Lieutenant Grimm is nearby, I'm sure... would you really detonate your missile and risk killing her?"
Amanda will reply to the Major (and pretty much everyone on the frequency): "I am an American Soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values. (loudly) I will always place the mission first... I am an American Soldier." She says the whole creed but I won't put it all here. Hooah!

Climbing hand-over-hand, she should be gaining momentum as there's no gravity pulling her back. I imagine at some point she'll be zipping so fast through space that she'll need to start slowing down in order to not crash into the Martian craft and bust her helmet. Assuming she still has the wrench, it's safely fastened to her belt.

"Guys, keep an eye on my six and twelve and let me know if I have Soviets inbound. I think I've angered them something mighty."

Looking ahead at the incoming Martian ship, what does she see? How far away is she?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't have time right now to draw a picture, but here's the rundown: The cable runs from the dorsal aft section of the Martian ship around to the ventral aft section of the Skylark. That means it wraps partway around the Skylark. I assumed Grimm, who knew enough about zero G to write a paper even the Soviets have read, knows enough about zero G to know that the fastest way to get clear is to kick off. The cable isn't a bungee cord, but it will still snap back when she gets to the end... in fact, since it isn't a bungee cord, it will snap back faster because it didn't absorb momentum by stretching. Amanda isn't going hand over hand as much as she is just reeling in all the slack she's making, so she's not accelerating appreciably.

The good news is, she's now moving toward the Martian ship in a feet-first orientation, so she's expecting her magnetic boots to stick to the ship. I don't think she'd have any reason to know that Castle's boots failed to stick to it. Still, reeling in the line means she shouldn't bounce away very far.

I've taken into account the fact that Amanda is both Clever and Wise.

The gap between the two ships is about 20 feet or so. In other words, she hits next round.