Off Course (Episode 4)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Off Course (Episode 4)

Post by Solomoriah »

So I rolled for Amanda, and she fumbled rather badly...

Edit: Then I fumbled badly. See below for the replacement post.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Woe

Post by Woe »

Is the tether taut or am I holding both ends?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Woe wrote:Is the tether taut or am I holding both ends?
Oops. Let me redo that...

Amanda moved out of the airlock with the gravity device in one hand and the makeshift shield in the other. If there had been air resistance, she would have found it awkward, but as it was she moved easily through nullspace.

The Tauran probe was still making little sparks here and there, but evidently the antistatic fabric worked, as no large bolts struck Amanda this time. She released the gravity device carefully so it would "stay put," then moved to draw her Vulcan pistol.

Somehow, though, she caught the tether of the gravity device, yanking it toward her... and the tether slipped, sliding up the handle toward the button.

Amanda moved as quickly as she could, trying to grab the device before the tether reached the button, but she was too late. The loop of cord pressed against the stud, and the device leaped away from Amanda. When it reached the end of the cord, Amanda herself was yanked away.

It was the wildest ride she had ever taken, wilder by far than the roller coaster that had made her throw up when she was a girl. The thrust, or perhaps pull, of the gravity device was not well aimed, dragging the doctor in a looping, twisting course. She tried to orient herself, and began pulling on the cord, hoping to reel in the errant device and stop it.

Then she ran out of tether. Hitting the end of her rope with a jerk, she stopped, and for a moment she thought she was in the clear... but then the cord slipped a bit more and the gravity device turned sideways, pulling her in a long looping course around the Bright Moment.

Amanda realized she was going to hit the hull of the ship under a significant amount of thrust...

You have a couple of obvious choices. Amanda could release the tethers, or attempt to reel in the gravity device. Each has its own side effects. Reeling in the gravity device one handed will be harder (a one-die penalty) unless Amanda releases the static shield. Releasing the tethers is easy; it would be very easy (one die bonus) if she was using just one tether.

Or she could try something else I haven't thought of yet.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org