Part Four: New Beginnings

-1warrior's ruined empire play-by-post.

Moderator: -1warrior

-1warrior

Part Four: New Beginnings

Post by -1warrior »

The summer air was warm on that morn. The sun shone down brightly on the village, illuminating the path that led down the middle of the settlement. The Inn of the Dancing Drake stood off to one side, its hanging sign barely swinging back and forth in the slight breeze. Sam's General Store was built opposite to the Inn, its sign firmly bolted to the building, and displaying the name in bright lettering. Small puddles lay in dips in the path, from the previous night's rainstorm. The path was muddy, but not so much as to inhibit walking. Houses stood here and there, and the occasional villager could be seen here and there. Women hanging up laundry, men heading out to the fields or coming back from them to get a bite to eat. Smoke rose from the Inn's chimney, and it's door was ajar, welcoming travelers.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
SerGavin

Re: Part Four: New Beginnings

Post by SerGavin »

From up the road there came a sound of whistling, and soon a figure strolled along merrily, Staff in hand and pointy hat on head. The whistling was actually quite muffled on account of it having to escape past a smoking oaken pipe. A rhythmic, thudding accompanied the footsteps along the road as he gripped a white staff carved right up the length with waves, forever still on a stormy sea, topped with a silver head in the shape of a sea serpent with tiny sapphires for eyes. He wore a white doublet Embroidered with three blue stars each one smaller than the last, in a crescent shape, his pointy hat similarly decorated. His boots stretched up just below his knees and were a shiny leathery brown.he wore a White cloak trimmed with fur at the edges three blue stars upon his back. he was quite short, although tall, for an elf, and sported a bushy white beard, well groomed and waxed. His eyebrows tapered right back to his ears which extended slightly past his head and were pointed. And his silvery white hair extended down to his shoulders.

Smoke trailed lazily up past his nose and into the morning air as he walked up to the tavern adjusting a strap on his pack with one hand and gripping his staff with the other. Whistling gently he walks in the open door and sits down at the bar with a sigh."An ale please barkeep" He says cheerily "and yes I know what time it is, It's been a long trip."

(for best effect please read aloud in an upper class British accent :D )
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

The bartender was standing behind the counter, inventorying the bottles of liquor on his shelves. He turned around, to reveal a smiling face, with sparkling eyes. He looked surprisingly young to Holdar's eyes. The man raised an eyebrow, but then headed over to a rack and pulled out a tankard. As he filled it from a tap, he inquired of Holdar "so traveller, what brings you here? And what might your name be?"

-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

The inn common room was large, and filled with tables and chairs. The counter was made of hardwood, and had recently been polished. In fact, the whole inn was made of wood, at least this part of it. The tables and chairs looked well-cleaned, but the floors and walls less so. A rack holding bottles of liquor, and drinking tankards stood behind the counter. A door lead into what was obviously a kitchen, where another fellow (most likely a cook) was at work.

In one corner of the room, stairs led up. Windows were set in the walls around the room, and lamps hung from the ceiling (unlit at the moment).

SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

"The names Haldor" He says through the pipe "You may have noticed that I am a wizard. And yours?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"The name's Matthew" the innkeeper said as he put the tankard down in front of Holdar. "That'll be 5sp" he said. "You want anything else?"

Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

As the two men talked a slender figure made it's way up the road. Already sweating, her loosely laced white blouse damp and clinging to her chest, Lys sighed with relief as she paused for a moment just outside the Inn. She had been on the road since shortly before dawn and already the day was warm. A mere breath of a breeze made it's way through her hair, seeming to caress it before moving along again on it's way through the village as the young elf looked about her. Tucking a wayward strand of shining silver hair back behind a delicately pointed ear, Lys smoothed her blouse in an attempt to make sure the contours it covered weren't quite so pronounced, checked her light blue leggings with the laced slits up their sides, gave a sigh at the scuffs on her boots and, with a deep breath, made her way quietly past the Inn's door and into the room beyond.

The first thing Lys noticed on entering were the smells as her eyes adjusted to the dim light of the common room. Her nostrils wrinkled a tiny bit as she scented first the smell of burning pipe weed which, though fragrant, was pungent to her nose. There followed, then, the stale smell of old ale and, finally, buried beneath the other smells, the enticing aroma of something being cooked coming from a doorway behind the bar.

Looking around with grudging approval Lys noted the clean tables and chairs and the not so clean floor and walls. A comfortable place then. Lived in. Not overly concerned with appearances perhaps but then, not given to airs and pretense either.

Finally her gaze drifted to the two occupants of the room. One, a human male, stood tending the common room's bar and might be the proprietor. The other, an elf sitting on a stool near the man and drinking from a tankard, was the source of the burning weed smell.

Walking gracefully over to the bar (but keeping a bit of distance between herself and the pipe smoke) Lys slipped her backpack from off her shoulders and set it on the floor, the holy symbol of Hallabey on it's silver chain slipping from where it had been nestled between her breasts and dangling for a moment before resting atop her blouse as the young acolyte straightened up and took a seat beside the bar.

Lys greeted the man behind the bar with a smile and said, "A good day to you. I am Lys, an acolyte of Hallabey, and am in need of a room for the night in which I might meditate and pray. A bath, if you have one, would be welcome and, later, some supper would not be amiss."
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Akarrus stood ,almost invisible, among the trees surrounding Celob.He watched as first a human than an elf passed by him following the road into the town.He stepped out of the forest. And moving through the shadows cast by the surronding buildings he made his way toward the inn.He slipped through the door and made his way toward the bar."Barkeeper I'll have some ale."he said.
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

The innkeeper looked at the travelers kindly, and then moved to get them drinks. As he bustled about, he called out "well, I'm Matthew, and who might you be? He inclined his head towards the shadowy figure as he said this, with a strange look on his face. He slowly set a tankard of ale, nearly overflowing, in front of the shadowy traveller. The innkeeper's face was still grim. "That will be 5sp" he said in a low voice, and then turned to Lys. "Well Madame, I'd be happy to get you a room. It'll be a gold piece for a night's stay. I'm afraid that I need the money before I can give you the keys." With that he turned around, and called through the door "I need a cup of tea out here!" He then turned back smiling. "I don't imagine that a priestess like you would be drinking ale, now would you?" He said kindly to Lys. He then held out his palm towards the travelers, waiting for his payment.

Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Without a word Akarrus places 5 silver pieces on the counter.He takes his ale and sits down at a small table in the corner.This gives him a view of the door and of the room while preventing an attack from behind.He props his feet up on a stool and lowers his hood revealing his mask:

It is a very dark grey almost black. It covers his face except for his mouth.The mask is fixed in a perpetual frown.It appears to be made of a smooth hard material that looks like bone.

He sit there drinking and waiting.
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale