Iron Falcon first impression

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Saltmarsh

Iron Falcon first impression

Post Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:08 pm

Well I've been a fan Basic Fantasy for a while now and thought that I would give Iron Falcon a look ( as the main rules where on offer)
So after just a quick browse I'm impressed it all seems nicely layout and presented, clearly written and seems to be well thought out and quite logical.
But I would expect this of Chris as I've found that of all the BFRPG stuff I have brought , I'm just a little curious as to which can first Iron Falcon or Basic Fantasy rpg?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Iron Falcon first impression

Post Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Well, you can tell from the copyright dates...

:D

BFRPG was first released in 2006. Iron Falcon came much later, in 2014 (first released in print in 2015).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Saltmarsh

Post Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:04 pm

Ok thanks so after the popularity of Basic Fantasy what made you want to release Iron Falcon?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Ha. No. I did it out of spite.

Basic Fantasy RPG was one of the first "retro-clone" games, back when there were few enough you could count them on one hand. Either OSRIC or BFRPG were actually first, depending on how you define "first."

A few years later, the OSR was in full swing and I wandered over to the "retro-clone" page on Wikipedia, only to discover that Basic Fantasy RPG was no longer considered one of them. What? The definition of "retro-clone" had mutated, such that a game had to reproduce a specific target game. (This is garbage, honestly, as I can prove that at least half of the games that use "white box" as their selling point aren't really "white box" at all...)

So I picked a "coverage target" game that had not at that time been cloned and I cloned it. In a month. Seriously. That's what happens when you kick me out of a club that I helped found.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:33 pm

So it's like Larry David's spite store from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Lol
Seven

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 am

That's interesting. You could put something in a preface in later edition.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:30 am

Ha, no. Not interested in sharing that story in the book itself... spite is never a good look, even if I think I'm in the right.