Two questions about fighters in IF

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
artikid

Two questions about fighters in IF

Post by artikid »

Keep in mind I'm not familiar with the source material, but two things have struck me as odd:
1) Paladins: it appears there's no race restrictions on paladins. Can you have halfling paladins?
2) Fighters: they don't get multiple attacks per round at higher level. Didn't OD&D have this in some way?
TPFox

Re: Two questions about fighters in IF

Post by TPFox »

Iron Falcon covers the original 3 books + Greyhawk. In Greyhawk, the Paladin is introduced, but I found no mention of race restrictions. It is clearly meant to be a subclass of a Fighter, however. A rule in Old School games (sorry can't remember which ones) was that a Fighter of a certain level of experience gained to ability to gain an extra attack every time they killed a creature of 1 hit dice or less. But, I didn't see this in the four books above. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this? It is a cool rule though and can make a Fighter really useful when you have to deal with a huge number weak enemies.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Probably both things (Paladins as a human class only and Multiple attacks for Fighters) were introduced with AD&D 1e, so they are outside the scope Solomoriah set for the project
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Paladins are fighters, so they maintain any restriction and only gains the 2 new ones.
I think the idea is to let any Lawful Fighter with a Charisma of 17 or higher become a paladin if they choose so.

As for fighter's attacks: I guess they didn't get extra ones in 0E/White Box.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you use the "wargame" rules that the original game was built from, mid and high level fighters can wipe out multiple 1 HD or less monsters per round. This isn't "multiple attacks" as such, just a consequence of the unit-vs-unit rather than man-vs-monster mode of combat that the wargame rules follow. Without them, the game has no multiple attacks rule. Later games brought multiple attacks back in one way or another (such as a specific "advanced" rule that allowed one attack per fighter level per round, only when facing less-than-one-hit-die monsters, and the specialization rules that came in even later iterations). Note that by the book, Basic Fantasy has no multiple attacks, though several supplements add them in.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

As for fighter's attacks: I guess they didn't get extra ones in 0E/White Box.
There's a certain way to run OD&D with Chainmail that gives Fighters additional abilities, including multiple attacks and the ability to see invisible foes at high levels.

IF emulates 3lbb + Greyhawk, however, which is another "evolution tree" of the game, so that's not a thing here, at least by the book. Fighters are plenty beefy as it is, though, and Paladins more so, although to the main point of this thread, Half Elves and Humans can get more mileage out of Paladinhood than the other races.