Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by Solomoriah »

seandon4 wrote:I'm going to root Solo on with this point.

Compared to some other OD&D clones, which are more wordy, this is showing to be quite concise.
It's getting longer than I expected, actually. The game will have a lower degree of detail than games with a later coverage target, but on the other hand it has many more spells and creatures than BFRPG does. It's going to be bigger than I expected.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

DuBeers wrote:I really like the look and syllabus of this project and will be watching with a great deal of interest. Nice idea, Solomoriah.
Thanks!
Trashcan

Re: Iron Falcon

Post by Trashcan »

This looks very promising. I'm quite intrigued, and eager to see what it will look like as it moves closer to completion. Also? I’m very happy to hear that this is a for-profit project, which means it will be possible to help reward you for some of the work you’ve already made available to the community.
On a more selfish note: I really like the extra classes, and would love to see them as an optional rule (I played a ranger for years, so I confess to bias), but I completely understand the inclusion of such classes would skew the system from the developmental snapshot you had chosen to focus on. Perhaps you would also be open, in the fullness of time, to your own evolutionary supplements.
In any event, what I’ve seen is very promising, and I wish you the very best of luck bringing it to successful completion.
Cadriel

Post by Cadriel »

Solomoriah wrote:Thank you! Just read your blog post, actually, and I felt I should mention a couple of things. First, some of the things you mentioned not caring so much about will actually be in Iron Falcon, just as optional rules. I'm also making Intelligent Swords optional; the original game actually seems to say that ALL magic swords should be intelligent... gah, that would drive me nuts! But I need to include those things to achieve the high level of fidelity I'm aiming for.
I like the idea of all swords as intelligent swords, myself, but I understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think it makes a great source of unique magic items, and it makes sense to me of the prohibition clerics have against using them.
The Barsoomian critters are a no-go at this point, and I have to be careful how I approach the demonic/devilish creatures for reasons of Product Identity. I'm going to evaluate those issues after more of the core game is done.
Technically the Barsoom monsters are just entries in the encounter tables - I just like having statistics for them available. There are OGC versions of the balrog, such as Swords & Wizardry's Type VI Baalroch; the AD&D "Balor" is product identity, while J.R.R. Tolkien's "balrog" was actually considered a copyright violation.
Living statues and cyclopses will probably make the cut; robots and androids, not so much. I'm not a fan of Dave's sci-fi additions, which those things play into.
That's cool; I have several other bestiaries I can grab stats from. I just find it very inspirational that the OD&D books have such broad horizons for potential monsters, rather than limiting things to the familiar standbys. (Not that they were so familiar at the time.)
Cadriel

Post by Cadriel »

Looking at R7, I see that Experience Points are now in the draft - and I'm very happy to see that you put the GP for XP rule from OD&D in, as well as the Greyhawk style chart. I know you had some objections to GP=XP and moved them to the optional rules in Basic Fantasy but it was very central to the way Gary Gygax and his group played (getting gold is better than killing monsters), so it really belongs in here.

Looking at it, I like having the weapon versus armor and exceptional strength in their own section in the back. It lets people get a better "feel" for how the game was but not have to use such a clunky system. (The only thing I'd probably use is the stat for the pick, and I'd simplify that to a straight +2 bonus to penetrate chain armor or heavier.)

This is going really well. I can't wait to get it in print!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cadriel wrote:Looking at R7, I see that Experience Points are now in the draft - and I'm very happy to see that you put the GP for XP rule from OD&D in, as well as the Greyhawk style chart. I know you had some objections to GP=XP and moved them to the optional rules in Basic Fantasy but it was very central to the way Gary Gygax and his group played (getting gold is better than killing monsters), so it really belongs in here.
I agree. Obviously. :D The XP awards table is different than the one presented in the original game, mainly for OGL reasons but also because it has a really weird curve distribution. Graph it sometime and scratch your head like I did.
Cadriel wrote:Looking at it, I like having the weapon versus armor and exceptional strength in their own section in the back. It lets people get a better "feel" for how the game was but not have to use such a clunky system. (The only thing I'd probably use is the stat for the pick, and I'd simplify that to a straight +2 bonus to penetrate chain armor or heavier.)
Clunky is why I never used that sort of rule myself. That, and the traditional tables were presented with the armor numbered; I need the names to save my sanity. I decided to simplify the math for the ranged weapons and I made the weapon list match exactly the list in the equipment section; one of the classic inconsistencies that drove me nuts back in the day. Again, while I want a faithful clone as much as possible, I also want a (more) playable game. If I have to answer questions regarding inconsistencies in the rules, that slows the game down. I have enough important rulings to make as it is.
Cadriel wrote:This is going really well. I can't wait to get it in print!
Thanks for the kind words! And by the way:

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 8 -- February 17, 2015
Explanations of all of the potions and scrolls have been added; I've also included cursed armor in the armor bonus table. Clerical level titles have been revised for cultural consistency but may get revised a little more yet.

http://ironfalcon.basicfantasy.org/
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I just looked at the cleric. I don't know if you would want to do this, due to consistency with the original game. However, there is the possibility of adding a few more levels of cleric. Something like this:

Acolyte
Deacon
Priest
Curate
Vicar
Archdeacon
Monsegnor
Bishop
Archbishop
Patriarch

That gives you 10 named levels before you simply start leveling up as a Patriarch. If you want to add more, you could add some Eastern Orthodox levels in there. Doorkeeper, Subdeacon, and Lector could go between Acolyte and Deacon. Archimandrite, Archpriest, and Choirbishop would all fall between Monsegnor and Bishop. You could also add Cardinal between Archbishop and Patriarch, but that might be taking it too far. :)

I switched Curate and Vicar because a Curate is an assistant to a Vicar. Another name for a Vicar is Rector (because he lives in the Rectory).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The new level titles for Clerics are due to a discussion on Dragonsfoot; I'm running a commentary thread there in the Simulacrum Games forum. You might want to check in there. Your suggested change was mentioned there also.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I've just read the DF's thread.

For the first level magic user how about Initiate? Some of the other titles also makes little sense, I practically don't like most of them :lol: (specially becoming a necromancer)

(these are not set in any fixed order so arrange as you like)
-Dabbler
-Initiate
-Enchanter (could be put at the level in which he can create magic items)
-Scholar (creates scrolls)
-Alchemist/Brewer (creates potions)
-Wizard
-Warlock
-Sorcerer

These are just suggestion and won't be taken as contributions if used in any manner ;)
Last edited by Dimirag on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Mint

Post by Mint »

So...when you're done writing this and I get my copy hot off the Lulu press I fully expect you to run us a PBP and I get dibs on a spot.