Attack Matrix

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Dmasterdad

Attack Matrix

Post by Dmasterdad »

I see that IF does not get as much attention as BF and that is understandable, but i really like it and i will be using it with my OD&D campaign starting early next year.
IF is nearly identical to OD&D in almost every way minus one detail from what i can see, the PC attack matrix, it is very different. Was this intentional, or done for copyright or OGL purposes?

Even though IF does not get much attention, i like it very much and just wanted to show it some love.
chiisu81

Re: Attack Matrix

Post by chiisu81 »

Dmasterdad wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 am or done for copyright or OGL purposes?
Yep.

Yeah I really like IF and think it's vastly under-rated and over-looked. If I had to choose b/w BFRPG and IF, just the core rules? That's a tough one. :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Statistically, the attack matrix in Iron Falcon should be very traditional; the odds of hitting an opponent with a given armor class should be roughly the same. But I'm a believer in what Len Lakofka once called the "5% principle," namely that every advancement on the table should be in 5% (1 in 20) increments. The classic table advances in increments of 10% to 15% in some cases, yet takes more than one level to make an advancement. IF's table lists every character level individually, rather than in groups, and distributes the numbers as evenly as possible. Of course, given the imprecision of the classic table, it's possible to create several equally valid, yet different, interpretations using the 5% principle. For example, do you get the given attack numbers at the first level in the range (one common interpretation), or at the average or median level (another common interpretation) or not until the last level (not common, but conceivable).

The fact that this approach is good from an OGL standpoint is something of a bonus to me, but it also serves as justification for my variance. You'll find the saving throw tables do the same thing.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

I'll check your discord!
Chris-C

Post by Chris-C »

I really like the adjustment to the attack matrix. I think the gradual increments are both more logical and more fun (I find it can be a drag waiting multiple levels to get a bump in your chances to hit as in the original).