[IF] Handbook of Monsters

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

[IF] Handbook of Monsters

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I've mentioned more than a few times that I'm working on a new project, a multimodule including a new starting area, dungeon and city adventures, and a few interesting optional rules. I'm not ready to reveal it yet, but I am going to reveal a project that grew out of that one.

You see, in the process of trying to build a significant adventure series, I've run into the limitations of the Iron Falcon monster list. IF is a retroclone, after all, and thus was kept limited to those monsters I could find full stats for that were definitely typical of the era. But in just a few short years that original game grew a lot, and I don't think it's at all unfair to add a few critters to the list now.

So what I'm doing is this: Starting with the IF monster list, I'm adding in creatures from Basic Fantasy RPG. After all, I wrote almost all of those monsters myself (using the SRD as my basis, of course). My intention is to retain the style and flavor of all monsters that are in the current R52 version of the rulebook, but to add in a lot of classic and semi-classic monsters that I've already created for BFRPG. I'm also going to upgrade a few monsters... the dragons, for example, will include the full range of IF dragons, adding in some of the BF features (like tail attacks) and one more dragon type, the Sea Dragon.

Tonight I'm going to share with you the current R1 PDF of the Monsters Guidebook. (One of the things I really need is a good name... ideas are welcome.) I've mostly filled it in down to page 15 (just before the dragons) so there's nothing new past that point.

One bit I'm particularly proud of is the Deceiver. I started with the Displacer from BFRPG, a monster that serves as a replacement for a certain monster that is Product Identity of WoTC and thus cannot be used directly. I was never happy with the displacer, and so here I'm presenting a stat-alike monster that is different from either the BF monster or the original Product Identity, and I'm adding in an upgrade option on top of that. "But wait... there's more!"

So here it is, guys. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Attachments
Iron-Falcon-Monsters-r7.pdf
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 952 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: [IF] Monster Guidebook

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R3 to the first post. Up to the Salamanders now, and in addition to adding the Frost Salamander, I've also included my Lightning Salamander.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solo, blanket firm offer... you can utilize any of my entries into the various Field Guide projects that you feel would work with the IF projects you have. I know we provided these as "open source" but consider this as explicit permission.

Perhaps a minor mention or credit somewhere :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

SmootRK wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 am Solo, blanket firm offer... you can utilize any of my entries into the various Field Guide projects that you feel would work with the IF projects you have. I know we provided these as "open source" but consider this as explicit permission.

Perhaps a minor mention or credit somewhere :D
Same over here
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
borgar

Post by borgar »

Coming up with a original name for a monster book without accidentally selecting one already used by someone was probably easier a few decades ago.

I always though "Fiend Folio" was a great name for a monster book and going for a similar alliteration style we could have something short like

* Critter Catalog

or something longer like

* Catalog of Creatures and Constructs
* Book of Beasts and Brutes

or perhaps something in Latin like

* Libro Monstrorum
* Catalogus Creaturarum

Note that it's quite likely this isn't correct Latin since this was concocted using Google translate.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks guys, for the sharing as well as for the name ideas. Still looking for that perfect name...

Phase one involves getting all the BFRPG core monsters into it. Phase two will consist of tracking down other monster ideas. I'm not at all sure I want the Dracomanders, despite having included the Lightning Salamander; likewise, I'm debating things like Hivelings and Paper Tigers. And those are just MY monsters.

One thing, though... no Nazgoreans. They are BF monsters through and through.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Just as BFRPG will have those unique monsters, it'd be cool to see some as well for IF.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Indeed, yes.

R4 uploaded. After some hard thinking, I've decided to include the Urgoblin; it was created to replace a Product Identity monster which dates back to the pre-1980 era, so I'm including it. I'm up to the Wolf as of right now, and this book is over 80 pages without art... dang.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Smoot, I'm taking you up on your offer. The next release will include the Red Cap; as a classic monster from mythology, I think it's a good fit. And you'll have a contributor credit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

R5 uploaded. This completes the addition of BFRPG creatures to the monster listing, and adds the Red Cap (as noted). Right now, with basically no art, it's 81 numbered pages.

Next steps:

For monsters with no "% In Lair," I need to come up with appropriate figures. Possibly even explain how that stat is used.

I need to go over the random encounter tables and add appropriate monsters.

Hmm. I think that's it. Maybe do another check to make sure the movement rates are all converted properly.

The sticky question is art. I mean, for my purposes, I don't need art. But it would be nice. Given that this is a for-profit product (probably not a LOT of profit, a buck or three a copy), I would insist on paying for it. The problem is that IF isn't making a lot of money right now, so funding is an issue. Yes, I've considered a Kickstarter... gawds, but I hate those. Not desperate enough to try it.