[IF] Handbook of Monsters

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Dimirag

Re: [IF] Monster Guidebook

Post by Dimirag »

Just thinking at loud here....
In the old days, dragon where among the most powerful creatures, and gave name to the game, should IF have a similar monster? something shinning, feathery... a metallic giant bird, an Iron Falcon?

As for the book's name... The Iron Book of Creatures? The Iron Nest of Creatures? just to keep it thematic with the game's name
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

For the title of this book consider Iron Falcon Taxonomy

as in the classification of animals, and plants into Phylum and Families and so forth.
Gilliadson

Post by Gilliadson »

Well since we're looking at a lot of iron ideas... How about the Iron Tome of Critters?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Interesting ideas, guys!

Now that I have a functional version of the book, I'll likely turn my attention back to my adventure project. I do plan to put the work-in-progress on the main ironfalconrpg.com page shortly though.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The new book will be called the Iron Falcon Handbook of Monsters. I did some Googling and found no evidence that anyone has ever used "Handbook of Monsters" (which seems odd, it's quite obvious) so that's what I'm doing.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions! Look for a new work-in-progress release sometime in the coming week.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

This is great news, IF is my favorite retro clone and i was bummed to see the post saying it would never see any new material(thought i had seen that somewhere).

Question: Is this entire project going to be IF as in the adventure you mention in the initial post?
If so that's even better news.

Question #2: Are you asking for help(adventures/towns)? I keep saying i am going to submit something but never do and this would be the perfect excuse for me.

P.S. , I mentioned in my last post and i think it is worth mentioning again. I really think you should look into creating a Discord server for BFRPG. The forum is great but being able to chat in real time is really appealing and most ttrpg communities now have one. It would surely be good for someone like me that has ideas swirling around in my head but do not have the PC know how. Just my 2 cents.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Back to front... I don't like chat servers, overall. I do have a MeWe group now, which actually has a nice chat feature, but I don't like chat, or social media in general, because ideas have no persistence. You CANNOT create stuff on social media worth a darn. Want to arrange a game session? Yeah, that's a good one for FB or MeWe or whatever. Actually write an adventure? Forget it. Half-formed ideas disappear into the mists of time rather quickly. On a forum, they can (and often do) persist for years, until someone notices the idea and takes it another step.

Am I asking for help? Well, if you want to submit an adventure for publication, I'm agreeable; other materials are also welcome, though some things will simply never be on the IF page (don't even bother sending me a Monk or a Druid or whatever, I'm not accepting classes period). But anything a GM can use directly is welcome. Put it in the Workshop, and if it's of general enough value, I'll pick it up and do something with it.

Will my new project be IF only? More or less. I'm including sketchy ideas about how to use it with other games, but first and foremost it will be an IF-centered product.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Well, there goes my first idea lol. Would you settle for Assassin and Ranger? :P
My next idea is a Dungeon, neighboring hamlet, and its NPC's.

I am getting started now but i must admit, i am not very PC savvy, and have no experience with Open Office or any other document application so if anyone would like to help or hear my ideas i am free all day.

Update: I started the map on Mapmatic, it is viewable under the name Brossini
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Really, really not interested in classes, but you are welcome to present them here in the Workshop.

The adventure idea is welcome, though. I did an adventure template for IF, but I can't figure out where I posted it, so here it is.
Attachments
IF-Adventure-Template-r1.ott
(119.36 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Thank you, moving forward i will create my own workshop thread regarding my project. Once i have something viable where do i post it?