Funding Question for the Community

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
johndice

Re: Funding Question for the Community

Post by johndice »

Here's what I would drop my money on, and add you to my patreon collective in a heartbeat:

- Western Lands campaign setting material from your campaign.

- a basic fantasy magazine content like monster writeups, osr thoughts, adventure seeds, etc

I do like to feel like I have exclusive content on patreon, but dont mind if the content eventually also sells on drivethru.

Hope this helps!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

johndice wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 amHere's what I would drop my money on, and add you to my patreon collective in a heartbeat:

- Western Lands campaign setting material from your campaign.
I created the Western Lands as a sketch of a world that others could build on. There is literally nothing official about the Western Lands that hasn't already been published, either in print or in the forum here. (Somewhere on the forum I had a thread describing how I fit JN1 and BF1 together in the Western Lands for a playtest campaign...)

Also, Western Lands is BFRPG material; Iron Falcon has no campaign world materials at all, though I do have some plans to adapt my old Nevermore campaign as "First Age Nevermore" for use with it. Still pretty much a sketch though.
johndice wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 am- a basic fantasy magazine content like monster writeups, osr thoughts, adventure seeds, etc

I do like to feel like I have exclusive content on patreon, but dont mind if the content eventually also sells on drivethru.

Hope this helps!
It does help, somewhat, though perhaps not the way you think. It helps me see that I'm poorly equipped for this. See, I'm not a believer in exclusive content... that way lies marketing, a mantle of greater evil than I'm prepared to wear. I'm cool with "collectible" content (signed numbered copies, for example, or custom alternate covers, or even art vs. art-free PDFs) because you don't *need* my signature or some specific art on a book for it to be useful in your game. But literally everything you're asking for, I'd give away or, at most, sell at the same sort of mild profit I make from Iron Falcon.

Hmm. Actually, unless another approach presents itself, I think we're done here. Thank you, everyone, for your advice.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think you might consider funding rewards such as swag being an option.

Iron Falcon Shirt, mugs, stickers, etc. (exactly what depends on the level of contribution). Designs that will never be otherwise Sold or produced except for those who contribute. Let people have some visible bragging rights evidence for being a contributor/funding etc.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. Swag. Good idea... I will consider it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Funding question, part TWO

So of all the rewards/promotional items suggested, the only one that fits with my beliefs and goals is SWAG. Stuff that's cool and that identifies you as a financial supporter of the project, but which is not needed to enjoy the final product.

Here, then, is the idea: Cut out Patreon, and instead go with someone like Cafepress, a maker of custom merchandise. I would take my current Iron Falcon proceeds and buy the cover art for the book, and put it on things like shirts, mugs, whatever, with an adequate margin that the proceeds can fund the rest of the art for the book. Further, when the book is finally done and on its way through the production process, the store would be closed, ensuring that only people who actually contributed to the project would have the swag.

The question is, do you guys think that would work? Would you buy the stuff, and do you think others would?
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

I'd probably buy an Iron Falcon something just because the name is that cool.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have commissioned the cover for the Handbook of Monsters; when that artwork becomes available, the swag will begin to flow. The artist is Al Cook, who did the cover of the IF rulebook; he's sent me rough sketches already which really have me excited!
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Put me down for an IF Fidget spinner!. j/k but i would buy a shirt :D
kaijusenpai

Post by kaijusenpai »

I’ll support IF however I can.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As soon as the artwork is in my hands, I'll let you all know!