Experience progression question

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
TomT11

Experience progression question

Post by TomT11 »

I'm curious about the large difference in XP numbers for level progression compared to OD&D. What was the reason for such higher numbers (a 10th level Magic-User in OD&D is 200,000 xp, but in Iron Falcon it is 600,000 xp)?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Experience progression question

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. Lead with a hard one, will you?

:D

US Law and the Open Game License combined put some limits on retro-clone authors; one is that it's dangerous to replicate the "artistic presentation" of any non-OGL game. If you'll look at that "other" edition's advancement tables, you'll note that the numbers are kind of arbitrary. If they were the result of some mathematical or logical algorithm (a progression), we could replicate them without fear. But they aren't... they're very much made up.

Given that fact, I had to deviate from the classic numbers. The numbers given in the IF Core Rules are the result of an extended conversation between myself and Simon Bull; I'm not sure I have his permission to share the exact text, but basically we discussed how to make the numbers progress "fairly" and what you see is what I arrived at after that discussion.

Now with that said... you can, of course, use whatever numbers make you happy in your game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TomT11

Re: Experience progression question

Post by TomT11 »

Thanks!