Iron Falcon Handbook of Monsters Art Promotion

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Iron Falcon Handbook of Monsters Art Promotion

Post by Solomoriah »

To fund art for the Iron Falcon Handbook of Monsters, I'm selling promotional T-shirts using Alexander Cook's fantastic cover art. I could tell you more, but why not watch my video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qby9SQEq5XE&t=198s

If you'd like to buy a shirt (or maybe several), there are two choices, CafePress and Teespring:

https://www.cafepress.com/ironfalcon
https://teespring.com/stores/iron-falcon-rpg
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Iron Falcon Handbook of Monsters Art Promotion

Post by Solomoriah »

This morning I added a collection of bags (messenger, drawstring, tote, etc.) to the Handbook of Monsters promotion. Like the shirts, they will rotate monthly until the promotion is over. So if you're not the shirt type, but you do use various bags to carry stuff (games, perhaps?) now you can join the promotion!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That mousepad :shock:
Attachments
nonametodayAA3woremeout.gif
nonametodayAA3woremeout.gif (4.29 MiB) Viewed 7854 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I added some stickers to the Cafepress site the other day. Unlike the shirts, the sticker price is mostly donation... that is, most of whatever the price is, I get to use to pay for art.

I haven't talked about it much lately, but I'm still working on the Handbook of Monsters. Presently I'm working my way through the dinosaurs, trying to combine classic statistics with current research; for example, many of the dinosaurs I remember obsessing over as a child have new names, sometimes having been renamed more than once, and I'm updating the names where appropriate. Generally I keep the older name either parenthesized in the title or described in the body text. It really takes me back to my childhood, researching dinosaurs... but little 6 year old me could NOT have imagined Wikipedia!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Finished the dinosaurs tonight. Wow, a lot of the names have changed, and some statistics needed revising. Also got dogs and dolphins detailed... alliteration FTW. :D Still need to go back to some of the earlier monsters and fill in some descriptions, then I get to move through the rest of the book. Making progress though!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Quarantine has made me productive...

Started over at A, working on the creatures I skipped over. Looking at the traditional Axe Beak, I wondered if there was a better name for it, so I did some research. They are commonly called Terror Birds, which is actually a really good name... but there were a broad variety of Flightless Birds of Unusual Size in prehistoric times, ranging from around 3 feet tall up to 10 feet for the largest. Egad. So I moved the entry to Terror Birds in the book (leaving a reference for Axe Beak for those who are searching for them) and broke them up. There were a bunch of species, all with unpronounceable names, and rather than deal with that I divided them up into the traditional sizes, Large, Huge, and Giant. The Huge variety more or less equates to the traditional Axe Beak.

I was about to work on the Aerial Servant when, for no apparent reason, I found myself thinking about Elementals. After looking them over, I've decided to apply expanded statistics (as in Basic Fantasy RPG) as well as added types (as in the Basic Fantasy Field Guide). But I've only just grazed the surface of that change.

More to come...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Added Teespring as a source of shirts for this promotion. I can sell shirts for about the same price, BUT with art on front and back! Hopefully this will boost sales and help me get the art I need for this book.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

The art is great, I'm always looking for cool tees. Where else can you get a tee shirt with a lich AND a mushroom person on it?!?!

By way of suggestion....Is there anywhere else you can promote this? Even the Iron Falcon main page doesn't mention the this promotion, I think to find out about it you'd have to see the IF forum. There might be a lot more OSR gamers that would buy these tees just based on the design and it being for a good cause, regardless of whether they make IF their game of choice.

I'd certainly prefer to get a tee shirt for my support of something rather than the overpriced junk I just got from my support of a Kickstarter.
Artanisace

Post by Artanisace »

Nice!! Got a cool blue tshirt from teespring, good luck with the project Mr. Gonnerman! :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've done promos on the Facebook page. The Handbook is one of two books I'm planning to release together, and playtesting on the other book halted due to the pandemic; as a result, I'm not pushing quite as hard as I was. I will probably ramp up the promotion starting next month.

Artanisace, thank you for your support!