[IF] Advice for creating PCs at higher starting level

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
starmonkey

[IF] Advice for creating PCs at higher starting level

Post by starmonkey »

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but what advice do you have for PCs starting at higher levels? For example, a party of level 5, or level 10 characters.

Please note that I'm an OD&D beginner.

1) How much starting gold?

IF states 3d6x10 GP for Level 1 characters. Any... "standard formulas" evolved out there? Plate Mail is pretty cheap (50 GP), so Fighters are going to want to buy that I assume.

2) What about Magic-User spell lists?

I was thinking of using the "Extended Spell Lists" option in Appendix C to generate a spellbook, then swapping over to "Limited Spell Lists" once play commences (which I prefer).

Note sure on the balance between giving gold to buy equipment vs generating spell books separately. If you go by the rules on "Extended Spell Lists", buying each level of spells is expensive by comparison. Thoughts?

3) What about Magic Items?

I was thinking you could roll for one? more? per player, then allow the players to divvy them up or trade them as desired.

4) What about Intelligent Swords? (If using Appendix B)

I guess if you generate treasure including magic items, if you roll a magic sword, you can then roll 50% chance for it to be intelligent. Sounds fun.

5) Any other considerations?

Unsure if there are any other factors to consider.

6) Online Tools and Generators?

Online tools would be useful - spellbook generators, treasure generators (including magic items) and so on.

There's this one from BFRPG: https://www.basicfantasy.org/onegenerator.html (for an NPC)

And this one: https://www.basicfantasy.org/chargen.html (for a PC, but at least in my browser, it basically just rolls ability scores.)

I found this one: http://character.totalpartykill.ca/lbb/ but that seems to use race-as-class, which is different to IF.

Cheers and apologies if this is treading old/tired ground...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: [IF] Advice for creating PCs at higher starting level

Post by Solomoriah »

starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but what advice do you have for PCs starting at higher levels? For example, a party of level 5, or level 10 characters.
Don't do this. The advancement rates of the different classes are different. Choose a starting XP total instead, and allow the 5%/10% adjustments to be applied. I recommend using the Fighter's XP for whatever starting level you are thinking about.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm1) How much starting gold?

IF states 3d6x10 GP for Level 1 characters. Any... "standard formulas" evolved out there? Plate Mail is pretty cheap (50 GP), so Fighters are going to want to buy that I assume.
Multiply the starting gold by each character's level. They don't need to begin rich, after all.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 2) What about Magic-User spell lists?

I was thinking of using the "Extended Spell Lists" option in Appendix C to generate a spellbook, then swapping over to "Limited Spell Lists" once play commences (which I prefer).

Note sure on the balance between giving gold to buy equipment vs generating spell books separately. If you go by the rules on "Extended Spell Lists", buying each level of spells is expensive by comparison. Thoughts?
None, I'm afraid. I've never considered doing it that way.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm3) What about Magic Items?

I was thinking you could roll for one? more? per player, then allow the players to divvy them up or trade them as desired.
In most normal games, everyone has a magic weapon by about level 3. I'd give a 5% chance per level of having something nice, and if that fails, give a +1 weapon. The same goes for armor. Then I'd roll one random magic item per character (all at once) and hand them out as you see fit.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 4) What about Intelligent Swords? (If using Appendix B)

I guess if you generate treasure including magic items, if you roll a magic sword, you can then roll 50% chance for it to be intelligent. Sounds fun.
Indeed, that's what I'd do. I would not roll the 50% for a "default" +1 sword though.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 6) Online Tools and Generators?

Online tools would be useful - spellbook generators, treasure generators (including magic items) and so on.

There's this one from BFRPG: https://www.basicfantasy.org/onegenerator.html (for an NPC)

And this one: https://www.basicfantasy.org/chargen.html (for a PC, but at least in my browser, it basically just rolls ability scores.)

I found this one: http://character.totalpartykill.ca/lbb/ but that seems to use race-as-class, which is different to IF.
I haven't had enough need for any random generators for IF to actually write one. Someone with time on their hands could take the code I wrote for BFRPG and rework it for IF; the source is on my Github account.

https://github.com/Solomoriah/Dungeoneer
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
starmonkey

Post by starmonkey »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 am Don't do this. The advancement rates of the different classes are different.
Ah yes, great point! Cheers

Will incorporate your advice. Thanks.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

In most normal games, everyone has a magic weapon by about level 3. I'd give a 5% chance per level of having something nice, and if that fails, give a +1 weapon. The same goes for armor. Then I'd roll one random magic item per character (all at once) and hand them out as you see fit.
Chris, let me make sure I'm understanding you here. A level 5 character for example would have a 25% of having something nice. When you say something nice, do you mean a +2 weapon/armor and higher?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, exactly. Or "casts light on command" or something like that.

The percentages given are intentionally low. In actual play, adventurers may be better equipped. This just gets them a minimal level to start with.
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 am
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm Hi All,

Don't do this. The advancement rates of the different classes are different. Choose a starting XP total instead, and allow the 5%/10% adjustments to be applied. I recommend using the Fighter's XP for whatever starting level you are thinking about.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm1) How much starting gold?

Multiply the starting gold by each character's level. They don't need to begin rich, after all.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 2) What about Magic-User spell lists?

None, I'm afraid. I've never considered doing it that way.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm3) What about Magic Items?

starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 4) What about Intelligent Swords? (If using Appendix B)

Indeed, that's what I'd do. I would not roll the 50% for a "default" +1 sword though.
starmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:24 pm 6) Online Tools and Generators?

I haven't had enough need for any random generators for IF to actually write one. Someone with time on their hands could take the code I wrote for BFRPG and rework it for IF; the source is on my Github account.

https://github.com/Solomoriah/Dungeoneer
If you want, I can try to make a random generator for IF using python 3 from scratch.
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've actually considered making an IF version of the BFRPG NPC generator. It's Python 2, but it wouldn't be hard to convert (mainly changing print statements). Haven't gotten far with it though. The NPC party rules for IF are different from BFRPG.

Not sure about a PC generator. Do we really need one? Who would use it?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 am I've actually considered making an IF version of the BFRPG NPC generator. It's Python 2, but it wouldn't be hard to convert (mainly changing print statements). Haven't gotten far with it though. The NPC party rules for IF are different from BFRPG.

Not sure about a PC generator. Do we really need one? Who would use it?
If we bring solo play to Iron Falcon perhaps? Then I am certain a lot more people would need one. Solo Play as in sort of like the Hex Crawling supplement from Basic Fantasy, or maybe something similar to random town and dungeon generation and something in between to show a story line? (Been playing solo alot lately).
Also, can you email me the code or is it already on the web somewhere?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Ah yes I feel a little like an idiot now :lol: