Multi class Hit Points

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Dimirag

Re: Multi class Hit Points

Post by Dimirag »

cbarchuk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:49 am That's a good idea. So with a Fighter/Mage you simply roll d8 whenever you gain a Fighter level above your Magic User level. So level 1, roll both and pick the higher one. At F2/M1 roll a d8. At F2/M2 rolling nothing. At F3/M2 roll a d8 etc...
And if at some point the character only levels as a mage it would roll a d4 for each level it gains above the fighter ones.

This optional rule has the side effect of having more HP than the standard rule:
A F5/MU9 in the standard rule will have its HP as stated above: 5d8 vs 9d4 (5-40 vs 9-36)
Same character with the optional rule will have 5d8+4d4 (9-56 range, 32,5 average).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks. I finally get it and it is simple. :D
RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Ok, so please help me out here. I have a total of 10000 XP with a Level 3 Fighting Cleric (Mystaran Dwarf). Do I need 14000 to make next level then and thus be a Level 4 Fighting Cleric?
And HP. So, I have (14 Con) 22 HP (8+1, 6+1, 5+1). Or, what? I'm so stuck on 1st ed Adv or 2nd ed, that I just cannot wrap my head around RAW here. And then what would it be upon Level-up?
Please help and thnx!! :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

First of all, a "Mystaran Dwarf" isn't something I'm familiar with, though I do know Mystara is a campaign world for another game system. And "Fighting Cleric" isn't a thing in Basic Fantasy RPG. Statistically, combining Fighter and Cleric makes no sense in BFRPG, unless you are using supplement rules that give extras to the Fighter (like Combat Options).

I'm not sure you're in the right place, RetroDMRay; or, you're using a bunch of house rules and supplements you're not telling us about. You used the abbreviation RAW but rules as written do not allow the character you describe in the first place.

However, I'll play along. 14,000 is the total of the two classes at 4th level, so yes, that's what you'd need. You'd have 3d8+3 hit points presently given your stated 14 Constitution, and if you use the common "max HP at 1st level" house rule then the numbers you give would be reasonable (though I have to say you rolled really well, with above-average 2nd and 3rd level rolls). When you make it to 4th level at 14,000 you'd have another 1d8+1 hit points.

Here's why the combo is a bad idea: If you played a straight cleric, 10,000 XP would make you 4th level already. You'd have 4d6+4 HP, and again assuming max-at-1st-level that would average to (6+1) + (4.5 * 3) = 20.5 HP, very close to where you are as a Fighter/Cleric. If you'd rolled average dice, you'd have (8+1) + (5.5 * 2) = 20 HP now, so statistically you'd be half a point *behind*. Just another 2,000 XP would make you 5th level, where you'd have the same attack bonus as a 4th level Fighter (and thus, a 4th level Fighter/Cleric) and another 1d6+1 HP (for an average of 25 HP). And, more spells, and better odds of turning the undead, and just as good at actually fighting.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solo, you are speaking of Basic Fantasy, but he's asking on the Iron Falcon part of the forum...

The character should have 2 xp pools of 5000xp each and 2 hit point pools, one with 3d8 (fighter) and one with 3d6 (cleric), and should be using the higher amount rolled.

The pc should gain xp equally divided in its both xp pools, level each class accordingly and using the higher rolled hp pool
If a class has reached its level limit it will not gain any new benefit, but the xp is still divided between them.

At 6,400 on both XP pools (12,800 total) the character would be a Fighter 3/Cleric 4, you would roll a d6 and add the result (+CON) to the cleric's HP pool, and use that if its higher than his current HP.
At 8,000 xp (16,000 total) the character will become a Fighter 4/Cleric 4, you then roll a d8 and do as above.

So... I made a table comparing the progression between Fighter, Cleric and Fighter/Cleric as way of knowing how viable is the multiclass.
Comparisson.png
Comparisson.png (47.11 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
I color-coded it to know which one gets the upper or lower hand in level and combat, HP can be easily derived from levels, same as turning undeads and clerical spells.
Also, note that a Cleric/Fighter gets no better than a Cleric in their weapon and armor access.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

DANG. Well, I feel like a fool now... sorry, Retro DM Ray. My fault.

dimirag to the rescue, as always. Thank you sir.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Whoops, just re-read my own book because I thought something still didn't sound right... on the page numbered 8 it says:

"Dwarves may not be Magic-Users, nor may they combine the cleric class with any other class."

So I'm right here also, in that the Fighter/Cleric multiclass is not allowed to dwarves.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm dimirag to the rescue, as always. Thank you sir.
You are welcome mister.
Solomoriah wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:19 pm "Dwarves may not be Magic-UserOs, nor may they combine the cleric class with any other class."
I should have read that too :lol:

No wonder they do not mix classes, its not viable, the pc loses part of his weapon access and his combat skill becomes lower.
On the clerical side, turning and spells become slower to increase.
On the fighting side, the pc will be fighting mostly equal to a cleric (and to a fighter when this is fighting the same as a cleric). It will be on its 5th fighter level that it will fight better than a cleric, and equal to a fighter.
At fighter levels 7 and 8 it will fight better than a cleric, and equal to a fighter, but the character will need a high STR to be allowed those levels...
The pc will mostly have 1 lesser HD in each group, so the chances of having better HP is no that much I think.
The end bonus is mostly a 2 point attack chance, compared to an 18 STR cleric.
RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Thank you both very, very much! Crossing back and forth from Iron Falcon to BFRPG with this type of thing is a bit of a challenge, and I really appreciate both responses, and your time here! 8-) Thnx for such great games Chris, and the whole collaborative team and forum!!! Y'all are truly awesome :D