Question about Dungeon Exploration on p. 122

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
cbarchuk

Question about Dungeon Exploration on p. 122

Post by cbarchuk »

I simply LOVE this version of Oe. S&W was my top but that now might be replaced with IR simply because of the holes that are plugged. The rules are simple, tight, and concise. I'm surprised its taken me so long to finally check out IF. Anyways I've been reading through the rules and I had a question about Dungeon Exploration on p. 122. It reads...

This rate of movement assumes the adventurers are
moving with some caution, making a map, and so
on. It is possible to move at full encounter speed,
i.e. 1/3 of the character's movement rate each
round, if the only goal is to move as swiftly as
possible. The referee should not allow players to
make a map if their characters are moving at this
speed. Movement at top speed is thus 10/3 the
normal rate; an unarmored man having a
movement rate of 12" would therefore move 40"
per turn.

Before I get into what I'm confused about I'm understanding movement as follows:

12" is 120 feet of movement per turn. 40 feet of movement per round in combat.
9" is 90 feet of movement per turn. 30 feet of movement per round in combat.
6" is 60 feet of movement per turn. 20 feet of movement per round in combat.

Okay. So the paragraph begins with describing the base movement per turn as shown on p. 13. Got it. It's the rest of the paragraph that confuses when it starts talking about encounter movement. I'm not even sure what question to ask as I'm not really sure what the rest of paragraph is talking about. How is moving 1/3 your movement for example consider swift? So a character with a base of movement of 12" is able to move 120 feet per turn correct? And 40 feet per round during combat. I don't understand the 40' per TURN of the last sentence. Anyways I just a need a breakdown of what this paragraph is saying. Thanks a ton!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Question about Dungeon Exploration on p. 122

Post by Solomoriah »

Movement is given in scale inches per TURN (10 minutes). Encounter movement is 1/3 of the normal movement, per ROUND (so 12" normal movement per turn becomes 4" encounter movement per round). There are 10 rounds per turn; therefore, moving at full encounter movement is 1/3 the normal movement times 10 rounds per turn, i.e. 10/3 normal movement or 40" as given for characters having 12" normal movement.

Hmm. Not sure that got more clear. The main things I think you are missing is:

-- Normal movement is per turn, and
-- Encounter movement is per round, and
-- There are 10 rounds per turn.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Okay I think my confusion is looking at the measurements in scale inches and then converting it in my mind to feet. So I started scratching my head when it said that moving your encounter speed compared to your base speed was considered moving swiftly. This is how I was reading that first part:

I.E. Base movement of 12" per turn. In feet this is 120 feet per turn. This speed is referred to as moving with some caution, making a map, and so on.

Then it talks about moving at 1/3 of that speed, which is encounter or speed per round, as moving swiftly where there's no time for mapping. So encounter or combat speed is 40 feet. So I'm thinking how is moving 40 feet per round faster than moving 120 feet per turn.

Then it reads that Movement at top speed is thus 10/3 the normal rate. So again I'm scratching my head. I thought the top speed per turn was 12" or 120' So in my mind I have two speeds, converted to feet, swirling around based on a movement of 12" and that's 120' (A turn, out of combat) and 40' (A round, in combat). So that's why I guess I was confused as I'm not used to reading things in scale inches.

So finally it read an unarmored man having a movement rate of 12" would therefore move 40". That's when I was just gonzo for lack of a better term. Again my thought process is I thought the movement rate per turn was 12" or 120 feet. So the " after 40 threw me for a loop. When what is being stated here is that you can move a maximum of 40" or 400 feet per turn while in combat or when measuring things into rounds.

Anyways I hope what I said made some sense as I was having a hard time describing what was confusing to me as again I'm thinking of only 2 speeds: 12" (Per turn) or 4" (Per round). I think I have it now. Sorry for being so dense. :)
per turn.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

cbarchuk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:49 pmSo I'm thinking how is moving 40 feet per round faster than moving 120 feet per turn.
Since there are 10 rounds in a turn, you are moving 10x40' = 400' per turn if you are moving 40' per round.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

So a simple way to look at it from a base movement of 12" would be...

120' per turn when out of combat. Used with general exploration.
40' per round when IN combat. General movement in combat.
400' per round = Running for your life
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

cbarchuk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:08 pm So a simple way to look at it from a base movement of 12" would be...

120' per turn when out of combat. Used with general exploration.
40' per round when IN combat. General movement in combat.
400' per round = Running for your life
All right except the last. 400' per turn, not per round.

Assuming you are indoors/in a dungeon. Yards, if outside.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks Chris for clarifying what would normally be something easy to understand. Simply getting use to reading things in inches and the wording just confused me for some reason. I think it was how this 'swift' movement was calculated into movement per round before being converted again back again to turns. My thought process is I'm only using my encounter speed when in combat only otherwise my movement is always per turn.

It is possible to move at full encounter speed,
possible.

It's possible? I thought during combat I can ALWAYS move 1/3 of my base movement.

The referee should not allow players to
make a map if their characters are moving at this
speed.

Again I'm thinking why would I be mapping if I'm in the middle of combat which is the only time I'm using my encounter movement.

S&W, very similar to IF, uses the same 12, 9, 6, 3 for base movement.

Walking/General Exploring = Base Movement x 20 feet per turn.
Running = Base movement x 40 feet per turn. No mapping possible.
Combat = 1/3 Base Movement x 10 feet per round.

So for IF:

Walking/General Exploring = Base Movement x 10 feet per turn
Running = Base Movement x 10 divided by 3 feet per turn
Combat = 1/3 of Base Movement x 10 in feet per round.

Anyways I got it now. Thanks a ton for entertaining my thoughts and questions. Cheers.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

cbarchuk wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:58 am It is possible to move at full encounter speed,
possible.

It's possible? I thought during combat I can ALWAYS move 1/3 of my base movement.
This is the core of your confusion. The movement rate of 10/3 per turn is NOT in combat.

In the beginning we had exploratory movement, as given, starting at 12 scale inches or 120' indoors and going down in steps of quarters. Combat shifts the time scale from turns to rounds, ten times faster, but divides movement by just 3. The explanation/excuse for them not being the same is that per-turn exploratory movement is making maps, watching for traps, etc. while per-round encounter movement includes none of that. But then you have the player who says "why can't we move through the dungeon at encounter move speed?" because it would be 10/3 normal movement, that is, 1/3 per round times 10 rounds per turn. The answer is, you can, but you can't make maps.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks Chris. That explanation really helped. Overall I'm new to Oe but I absolutely love it. Thanks again.