Two Book Release Announcement

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
AlMan

Re: Two Book Release Announcement

Post by AlMan »

YYZombraire wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm There are so many cool directions this could be taken. Might be fun to play an adventure based on the paranoia of the Satanic Panic: what if the local college students really were battling monsters in the steam tunnels below the university? Or a version of the old D&D cartoon show. (OK, maybe not that…)
Hmmmm, am I seeing a start for "Days of '76" (possible sequal book)?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have plans for two sequels, both still set in '75. "The House on Mockingbird Hill" requires a collaborator I haven't found yet; the other, "The Lost Kingdom," is a more mid-level adventure series aimed at groups that have completed Lakeside. Both are mostly concept and maps at the moment.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

YYZombraire wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm There are so many cool directions this could be taken. Might be fun to play an adventure based on the paranoia of the Satanic Panic: what if the local college students really were battling monsters in the steam tunnels below the university?
Attachments
YYZombrairejustchangedeverything.gif
YYZombrairejustchangedeverything.gif (5.3 MiB) Viewed 4902 times
YYZombraire

Post by YYZombraire »

Thanks for the positive feedback! I just spent 20 minutes googling maps of university steam tunnels, so I guess the seed has been planted. No promises, but I might try to start sketching something out. Unfortunately, this may require me to watch Mazes and Monsters...

Just noticed the map of downtown Lakeside matches the plan of a certain small town in Wisconsin. Nice Easter egg!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

At a certain university there is a wargaming club. A senior girl with long dark hair joins the club, briefly anyway, telling tales of a new and much more fun game and luring several of the members to play her game. Her name is Corvina, but they just call her Dungeon Mistress.

Most of the members of the wargaming club didn't join that other game. It wasn't that it didn't sound fun; rather, there was just something creepy about that girl. But she went off with her followers and they played her game and everyone else kind of forgot about them.

At least until a girl named Marcie, a member of the Dungeon Mistress' group, turned up dead. The coroner said she'd been poisoned, but could not determine exactly how the poison was administered.

Something dark and strange is happening in the steam tunnels beneath the university, and elderly Doctor Elliott, head of the history department, has asked a few members of the wargaming club to look into it. Do you have the guts to go down into the darkness?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:07 pm and elderly Doctor Elliott, head of the history department, has asked a few members of the wargaming club to look into it.
Played by Roddy McDowall...
No matter where you go...there you are
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Must include "Hellfire Club" as your wargaming/rpg group. 8-)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

A new science professor, Dr. Phibes, teaches at night and is rarely seen in the daytime. A student dropping off an assignment in the daytime accidentally knocks a box off of Phibe's desk containing maps of the tunnels. In the paranoia that ensues, a police investigates the home of Phibes and ends up found dead at the entrance of the tunnels. Also, Dr. Phibes has apparently disappeared! The concerned university president Dr. O.S. Strange and his assistant Reverend Hand rush to search Dr. Phibes' office to discover a secret staircase from his office leading to a large cavernous chamber underground. The chamber houses a mysterious pipe organ and a coffin, and the strange victrola device Phibes used during his lectures to amplify his voice (having suffered damage to his voice box in an accident). The room itself has but one exit through a heavy wooden door - an exit leading straight to the steam tunnels!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

TPFox, I have to admit I'm unsure of your source material, but honestly I like my direction better. Yeah, selfish, sorry. I'm kind of sticking to a combo of the BADD story (the fictional version told by the mother and the PI, not the more-fictional version portrayed by Tom Hanks in his least inspiring role) and the Chick tract. The essence of the Satanic Panic.

Doctor Elliott serves the "Uncle Frank" mentor role in my version, and can give the necessary books to the magic-user and cleric characters. Corvina ("raven girl") has gotten herself a book of magic and is teaching some of her "game" disciples how to do it, but she's more powerful than they are (maybe 4th level or so). Four or so buildings above ground are a Class B magic area, but the steam tunnels and a small connected dungeon area (result of an intentionally-activated celestial anchor) are Class A so of course she and her followers go down there to learn and practice their magic.

Marcia (not Marcie) wasn't cut out for magic but was pretty good at sneaking around, opening locks, etc. and was doing great until she failed to notice a poison needle trap in a chest in the dungeon. She had wandered off alone, and made it back to an entrance to the steam tunnels before collapsing.

For more fun, Debby, an ex-girlfriend of one of the PCs, is the newest member of Corvina's group, and unlike Marcia has taken to magic pretty well...