Adventures Vol 1 question

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Limthro1

Adventures Vol 1 question

Post by Limthro1 »

My first post.

I purchased Iron Falcon and Adventures Volume 1 out of nostalgia.

I really like the idea of the fog labyrinth in the adventure “The Temple of Fear and Madness”. But I can’t figure out the Catacomb Key depicted on page 37. How do you read it? Can anyone explain? Thanks
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adventures Vol 1 question

Post by Solomoriah »

:D

The image directly under the heading "Catacomb Key" depicts the wall described in the boxed text in area 16. STAIRCASE. It's not a diagram of anything.

The "Catacomb Key" is actually all the text from page 37 to 42 (where the Trap Level Key begins).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Also, thanks for buying the game!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and I just discovered a textual error. In the first paragraph of the Trap Level Key I meant to fill in the area numbers in the parentheses. Oops.
Limthro1

Post by Limthro1 »

Ah, got it now. I was ‘lost in translation’ so to speak. I compliment you on the layout and organization of your rules. Thanks,
Limthro (the paladin)
Altee

Post by Altee »

Hi, I have a question regarding Temple of Fear and Madness as well, this time for the Trap Level. Is there an exit (stairs or ladder of sorts to climb back above) for the Trap Level? Or I missed something when reading the text?

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, there is no normal exit from the Trap Level.

Players in my playtest exited via one of the pits. Those trapped in room 42 had to find a way out through one of the secret doors, which then led them to the pit where they could climb or levitate out.

In playtesting, room 45 was never found.
Altee

Post by Altee »

Fair enough. Your playtesting party must be experienced, not your run of the mill, PCs and remembered to have bring their 10' pole with them at all times. ;)

I wonder if they managed to clear the fog by locating the different pieces on the mosaic wall?

This one really stretches the PCs problem solving skills.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Temple of Fear and Madness is one of those dungeons that can play out very differently if your players are meticulous or really clever.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

I think the "fog of madness" effect on the catacombs layout is ingenious. I will run this with my players as soon as their characters are at the right level.
Are there other examples of this style of dungeon design published anywhere? Methods for confusing a party of adventurers?