Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

quozl

Re: Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by quozl »

Switching out his sword for a magical one sounds great. Also, I think the 3 potions should be healing potions unless you have something in mind. My idea is that he's going on this quest as penance for something he's done in his past.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

I've started assembling my PC. I'll have him up in the next couple days. Sorry for the delay - life's been pretty crazy.

Also, I have a few questions about spells (sorry I'm such a n00b at this).

1. You mentioned that a Magic User will get additional 1st level spells according to his Intelligence. Is this for the number of spells he can cast in a day (i.e., an increase to the 1st level spell value on the Magic-User chart on p.8)? Or does it apply to the 15 known spells? Or both? My Magic-User I'm working up has an INT of 17 (+2 modifier).

2. Can the known spells be chosen from any level? Or are they limited to the 1st-3rd levels that he currently has access to? (Or maybe all levels?)

3. How will we have opportunity to increase the number of known spells?

4. Will we be using spell books? Or does the 'known spells' mechanic make a spell book irrelevant?

Thanks!
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

By the way, metagame hint to the M-Us, if someone could take continual light...
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

mTeasdale wrote:By the way, metagame hint to the M-Us, if someone could take continual light...
Already on it! ;) However, this adventure seems more of an outdoor thing. In any case, I'm making my M-U to be mostly a charm/utility type. He will (of course) have Magic Missile and probably Fireball and/or Lightning Bolt (just because it sounds fun!). But most other stuff will be things like Invisibility 10' Radius, Haste, Fly, web, etc.

I'm also thinking of trying to make the PC's magic use be along the lines of a weather theme (if the DM will allow). So Fly will be using the wind to fly (like the X-Men's Storm), fireball would be like a heat blast, and lightning bolt is self-explanatory. Then later on, Ice Storm and wall of ice would be a natural fit. Mechanically they would all be the same, but I would like to add a weather flavor/fluff to it when I can.

Right now (pending DM's answers to my questions about how this works), my 15 spells are:
1st Level: Charm Person, Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Read Languages, Sleep, and Ventriloquism.
2nd Level: Continual Light, ESP, Locate Object, Phantasmal Force, Web.
3rd Level: Dispel Magic, Fireball, Fly, Haste, Invisibility 10' Radius, and Lightning Bolt.
(**This is with +2 spells for INT bonus - if allowed).

Also, as per DM discussion, he will have a familiar. My original thought (a little tongue-in-cheek) was a parrot. But I'm actually (and a little more seriously) thinking of a Falcon, if that's okay with the DM.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Read Magic is pretty much mandatory, unless Longman decided on some house rules ?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Fireball... what a nice spell. (inside joke for Longman :lol:)

I just updated Sonja. I'm not quite done yet, but that should flesh out a lot of the character direction. I'm almost wishing I went thief. Ranger (swashbuckler/pirate/buccaneer) isn't exactly renowned for climbing the rigging.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Healing potions for the monk character. Noted.

Yes, according to core rules, Read Magic is mandatory. So how about I be nice and say Read Magic plus 15 spells for the mage (12 for cleric, and 9 for fighter-mage). See how nice I am?

The extra number of spells applies to the number you can cast per day, not the overall number you know. You have to specify, each day, what spell list you have learned. You might as well pick a standard list and only tell me if you depart from that list.

Your falcon familiar is fine. You gain 3 hit points when the bird is within 120' of you, as well as gaining the bird's incredible distance vision. You can send it out on scouting missions to any distance but you lose the senses and the hit points until it comes back in range again. It's AC is 17 due to speed. It won't fight unless you are clearly going to die. You can talk to it verbally, and it will tell you what it has seen - but you do not have a 'telepathic link' with it or anything like that. It loves hunting and has been itching to get out of the hood, and fly about the place seeing if it can't track down a nice fat rabbit. It

(I'd be very careful with the falcon, if I was you...)

Your spells are all 1st to 3rd level. In the event you are on the island long enough to get to 7th level, I'll work something out about 4th level spells. You have a spellbook, and it contains all the spells you know. You have two copies of it, in fact. If you lose both, you are screwed, because you can't re-learn your spells.

Hope that answers everyone's questions. We will get started eventually - let's give everyone a bit longer with characters and so on, and see if Ser Gavin shows up again.

Steve.
Longman

Post by Longman »

see other post above...

Woe - the core rules do not say that thief abilities are at a penalty outdoor, so being a thief has no disadvantage in this game. We do already have one, though.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'll stick with ranger. My point was, being able to climb rigging like a monkey is closer to a thief's skills opposed to a ranger. Maybe I'll get a parrot instead. 8-)

Ed: 100gp for a parrot?!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You have a parrot, no charge. It poops everywhere and can say 5 phrases. Enjoy.