Chapter 1: After the Storm

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 1: After the Storm

Post by Longman »

The pesky halfling Jaali and his mate Saracen take pot shots at the retreating megalosaur.

Pow! Thunk. Scream! Both bullets hit the smaller creature. It takes 10 hit points and actually seems to notice this.

The Slow spell is over and the dinosaurs are now both fleeing. They can run 80' yards in a round. If you all want to get any final actions in against them, you better do it this round otherwise they will be considered too far away and into the trees. (Unless you want to follow them, that is...)

There are now 5 large trees fully or partly on fire. These are ones that have been directly exposed to the full heat of the WOF. Hopefully, the forest is too wet for the flames to spread beyond those trees directly affected.

Yuan Cheng joins the villagers who are looking anxiously at the pall of smoke. One of them, a scout called Roli, taps his index finger to his temple and twirls it around in a circle.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

I would advise against pursuing the things. They likely shall not return to bother us.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Woe

Post by Woe »

Kanya continues to wait for the wall of fire to dissipate.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali climb down the tree and join the monk and the villagers.
Longman

Post by Longman »

4/5 of you have indicated you are calling the combat over so that's it. They flee.

The fire makes an awful lot of smoke and spreads through the canopy for quite a while. You all run from it. You are not sure what happens after that, but you can all smell smoke for hours afterwards.

You all regroup and make camp for the evening several miles away. Luckilly, there are no encounters overnight.

It is now 6am on day 6, and you may all regain a hit point and relearn spells.

Now is a chance to do some RP stuff about what to do, and who knows what.

I will update the log / experience thread soon.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju finds Apinya and Kanya and asks, "So what word from the beach? What is the state of the ship and her crew?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

Kanya ignores the mage (again) and walks up to Fhajah. "Good, you're alive." She looks at him much closer. "Damn, looks like you're barely alive. And where's that hussy who left with you?"

(insert recent events here; Fhajah can state whatever he wants but assuming he doesn't boldly lie about the whole thing, the rest should follow in stride. If anyone else tries to answer, she'll shoot the speaker a look of annoyance and say something snide about Fhajah's inability to answer questions himself)

"You're telling me that the three of you, scrawnyboy over there, and an efreeti couldn't control that hellcat? Heh. I don't know whether I'm surprised with her or disappointed with you. That bitch you were with is none other than Commander Sonja. Yeah, that Sonya. I'm impressed you're still alive, even if it's because she accidently put 'human' instead of 'pirate' on her character sheet. :P even if it took all of your abilities to achieve naught more than scaring her off. She'll be back for you. Us.

"Fhajah, you're soft. I don't know what Al-Jabafri sees in you but he sent me to keep you alive. He figured you needed help, and as usual, you do. I busted my ass across the desert to get here. Sand, nothing but sand. And some scorpions, and these damn drakken. What's with these two? Can they be trusted?"

(assuming Fhajah says yes, which I hope he does to avoid any more party-fragmenting moments)

"And what of Scrawny over there? He looks like he'd make good work with the oars."

(honestly, Kanya ceases to care about Scrawny/Teluk and the other two, provided Fhajah vouches for them in some way. The fact that the two of them helped Fhajah not die goes a long way in earning her, um, trust is the wrong word so maybe it's more earning her not immediate wrath? As for Tubby, he's clearly not a threat to her and after she hears the story about saving his father...)

"Yeah right. Like that's going to happen." Turning back to Fhajah, she says, "The beach is a mess. We had to pull out and move the boat into the desert to avoid all these the damn drakken. The hostages are making dumb choices about their survival, and Al-Jabafri isn't wasting powder on the low-value ones. Which brings me back to Sonja.

"She's worth thousands of crowns -- thousands! -- and more if alive. Apparently she castrated some pirate king and he wants revenge. And you had her with you all along, and never a clue you were sitting on enough to cash out like a prince.

"Alright, so now that you're safe -- somewhat -- what have you found? Any materiel that can be used for repairs?"

BTW, I'm trying to keep my language PG-13 in case it offends anyone, which leaves me with some really weird choices.
Last edited by Woe on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

As to your first question: its a long story but Sonja escaped. Had I but known, I had the magic to capture her but no reason to suspect... Alas what is done is done.
As to your second question: apparantly with my life, although I like to cultivate a healthy amount of mistrust.
Thirdly, I take exception to being called soft but currently lack the time to defend the point.
Our situation currently, is that we have promised this young man that we would help with his wizard problem. One that will probably involve treasure and possibly Sonja as she too knows about it, I suggest this is the course we should take, the beach being a mess is all the reason not to return to it for the moment. What say you? I've never known you to turn your nose up at potential treasure!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yuan-Cheng is listening intently and discretely prompts Maju to ask the villagers about Sonja.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"And what is Scrawny going to do in return for us saving his ol' man? Has he sent slaves over to repair the boat, or cut trees into lumber? Hells bells, if the slaves are as scrawny as he is, we'll end up using them as nails. Or are you saying 'treasure might be there and we might get some' is our whole plan for saving the guy's missing daddy?"

Play that part out, because I didn't read between when Sonja made her escape and when Kanya appeared. I'll play Kanya accurately since I don't know what happened in the second act. As far as I know, Scrawny/Teruk wants us to save his father because we're paladins and we have good hearts; and that character was voted off the island.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot