Chapter 1: After the Storm

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

SerGavin

Re: Chapter 1: After the Storm

Post by SerGavin »

A wizard is never in a hurry, he runs precisely when he means to. sarcen exclaims theatrically and then disappears without so much as a puff of smoke. (I cast invisibility on myself)

Also quietly to himself: Kanya? The cavalry's arrived a bit late. Although I must admit its nice to see someone who I can trust to serve their own interests, and by extension my own, the heroic types are too unpredictable for my liking, although they do serve a purpose, namely stopping me from getting killed... Oh right, the lizards, better get moving or get busy dying.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

OOC : By the way I'm back home since a few days, sorry for that having been much clear. Reintroduce me when it will fits for you Longman.

If you decide that Jaali is present, he will run away following the monk closely. (Not that closely, movement speed if 30' while encumbred)
Woe

Post by Woe »

(Longman was awesome. Totally in character.)

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!! :lol: :lol:

Their move is 40. If yours is 30, you have a problem.

OOC: My move is 10'. My problem is that they might outrun me before dying. :twisted:

Let's see how powerful these beasts are. Kanya turns to the dinosaurs, picks the smallest, and casts fear on the smaller of the two.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:PS - Maju if you don't want to be present, I can retcon you out of this. I decided Saracen would have stayed put in the camp as he is so badly injured, and Jaali is out because I thought Mteasdale wasn't posting for a while. I can retcon that as well.
OOC: I'm game, so no need to retcon.

Maju would like to cast Slow on the two creatures. Hopefully this will give us a chance to put some distance between us and them.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The two spells come into effect before the creatures have run their full move this round.

The Slow spell from Maju clearly effects the larger creature, who thus moves only 40 yards this round and is still 50 yards away at the end of the round. Good job, Maju.

The smaller dinosaur is not affected. Unfortunately, the new cleric Kanya's Fear spell is also ineffective on the smaller creature. You don't know if that is an issue regarding the effectiveness of the spell (i.e, it saved), or if it is simply too big for the spell to be effective.

The monk runs away, leaping and bouncing through the trees almost like some set extra is holding him up with wires. His sword is calling out "COWARD" as he flees.

The halfling also runs, less spectacularly. The camel sticks with Kanya.

The smaller dinosaur is now within 10' of your group.

Round 2 INIT:

The dinosaurs: 1
You: all better than that.

The bigger one of them is 50 away, and is magically slowed. The other one is right on you, and not affected by any spell. It looks pretty mean.

Just Maju, Kanya and her backup NPC fighter Apinya are now present. Saracen is invisible, and back behind some bushes. He can also act.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali moves away from the small dinosaur and shot it with his pistol.

I can move and shot, right ?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Kanya will fight defensively.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

OOC: This might be a mistake, but I'll try it anyway.

I would like Maju to use his scroll of Charm Monster on the smaller, closer dinosaur. However, if Kanya's attempt at casting Fear on it would constitute "currently being attacked or threatened by the caster or his allies", thus giving the dinosaur a +5 bonus to its save roll, then I don't want to do that.

If the creature would get the +5 bonus, then instead I would like Maju to cast continual darkness on the creature's eyes, and then book it out of there!

OOC: Deep breath…I hope this works or it might be the end of Maju. Otherwise, I think we'll have a friendly predatory dinosaur for a month (if its Intelligence is 8 or less, which I'm kind of assuming). And its save roll might not be that great since it's modified by the dino's Wisdom – which I would think is low.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Maju doesn't really know if the creature will resist the spell more easily because of Kanya's actions. You don't know the spell that well. I decided you would cast continual darkness, not being sure.

The mage casts Continual Darkness but creature makes it save. It attacks Kanja, who was fighting defensively. It misses. Yay.

Jaali had run 60 yards in the previous round. He now runs 30 yards back again so he can get a decent angle, and gets an attack on the monster with his pistol. He hits it, narrowly, and does 1 hit point. It barely notices.

Kanya's offsider Apinya had loaded his pistol in the previous round but thinks better of firing it, and decides to flee, moving 80, with the camel running after him. (EDIT: The creature has a parting shot on the camel, and fortunately, rolls a 1.)

Saracen is invisible and doesn't act this round (If he attacks the spell will cease).

The other dinosaur has stopped at 50 yards distance. It will move 20 next round.

Proper Round 3 - The dinosaur beats Maju for initiative and attacks him. It rolls a natural 20. Just as well there are no special rules for that in the core rules otherwise Maju would be dead! Maju takes 11 hit points.

Maju, the thief and Kanya may now act. Saracen may also act if he wants to jump back in to the action. Everyone else has run away.

(PS - Maju - you can't cast and then run. Casting or attacking is always the end of the round. You can run now if you want, or withdraw.)
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yuan-Cheng shakes his head. "Fools don't know when to run."

Now that he's at a safe distance, he'd like to climb a tall tree to see if this getting the attention of anyone (anything?) else.