Chapter 1: After the Storm

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

mTeasdale

Re: Chapter 1: After the Storm

Post by mTeasdale »

"At least, it isn't because of them that we're stuck on that damn island. We decided to help those people who actually promised us something, instead of putting us into danger, into the middle of nowhere. But if you prefer to work on that boat, nobody is forcing you to stick around, go and send us a pigeon when you're done with the repairs. Otherwise, help us on our current mission, and we may decide to help you on yours when we're done."
Longman

Post by Longman »

Nice play, everyone.

Teruk speaks with Maju in a quiet moment:

Fire-Wizard, I do not know who these new people are, but all this is simple. If you decide to come with us and free my father from the witch-doctor, we will help you against these pirates if we can. But if you do not, then we will continue with our original plan, and go to seek the well in the desert. If you also go that way, we will come with you.

But if you go back to your ship? We cannot accompany you there.

My men tell me that the woman Sonja was seen fleeing your camp, and she went northwest, down the mountain. But perhaps that is just the direction she chose to run from you, before she could get her bearings.

That was yesterday morning, before sunrise. It has been almost two days since then, and the rains will have made her tracks almost impossible to follow. She could be anywhere by now. And even with her magic potions and her firestick, I do not like her chances of survival on her own.

Again, I beg of you. Forget this crazy woman. Come with us to our village. The magic of the old stones keeps the big lizards at bay, somehow. That is why we live there. We must fight the witch-doctor Ishakt, and free my people. It is a good place to live, normally.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm assuming Maju isn't translating everything, since the "help you against the se pirates" might play poorly.

Kanya deigns to respond to Jaali's outburst, clearly unimpressed by his appeal to her morals. She rolls her eyes at Fhajah, but nothing more.

"Mage... Maju." she corrects herself. "What did Scrawny say?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju listens to Teruk, then translates the following to his companions, "They don't know where Sonja went. The rains have washed away any tracks she may have left. They say that they will help us if we help them free his father. But if we don't they'll just continue on with their original plan to try to free him themselves."
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Alright. How will he help and what are we facing? I don't want to fight off a demon just to have him deliver a bunch of coconuts by swallows."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

In reply to Kanya, "He had told us before that his father, the village leader, was taken hostage by a wizard who has two ogres in his employ. We don't know much more than that."

Maju then turns to Teruk and says in his tongue, "The sailing ship is damaged. We may need lumber for repairs. If we help you get your father back, can your people help us by retrieving lumber and other supplies from the jungle?"
Longman

Post by Longman »

Teruk responds: "Yes, if that is all you want help with, that should be easy. I thought we were taking about a fight. But we will help all you like with wood gathering." He seems a bit surprised.

This is where I will info-dump about the situation rather than role-playing everything that is said. Teruk isn't holding out on you, and has told you a lot of information.

The witch-doctor in fact has 4 ogres working with him. He also has about a dozen regular warriors, and has kidnapped about 5 other people who may or may not have joined the cult. When he was seen in battle he also had several giant sized scorpions fighting on his side and this is the nature of his magic that Teruk is so worried about.

In addition, there were originally known to be undead monsters (skeletons, "walking bones") in the temple, which is why no one ever went inside there. But maybe the witch-doctor has beaten them and they are no longer in the temple. Who knows?

He also says the villagers have a rough map of the temple, copied from an old scroll. It is built inside a ridge, that sits between the village and a large lake.

The village and temple are both about 3 days voyage away - most of which will be on a path.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:Teruk responds: "Yes, if that is all you want help with, that should be easy. I thought we were taking about a fight. But we will help all you like with wood gathering." He seems a bit surprised.
Maju says in Salayan, "It may come to a fight as well. I'm not sure yet, but I hope not. So I will appreciate your warriors' readiness if it comes to that. However, these new people we happened upon want assurances that your people can help us fix the ship. So I want to make sure you're willing and able to do that if things go peaceably."

Maju turns to Kanya and says, "By the way, how did you move the ship so far from the water?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Magic." she says cryptically. Or sarcastically. Heck, or maybe even truthfully. It's really hard to tell with that woman. :)

Kanya has a few questions for Teruk (via Maju). Phrased in Kanya's distinctive "is that a question?" style of questioning,
- Teruk should show his trustworthiness by send your slaves to the ship now, unless they will be needed to assault the temple. Or should we wait until the slaves have been delivered before we help his father?
- How many warriors will assist Teruk in the attack? What are their capabilities?
- You all look like you can use some provisioning, and some healing (scornful look at Fhajah). He will provide that when we get to the village, correct?
- The big stones that keep the drakken at bay... that will be useful in the weeks ahead. We (she looks at Maju directly) should attempt to harness that magic.
- Tell me (sigh) us more about this disease.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Apinya, who can speak Siamese, steps in and asks as an interpreter for his pirate comrade. He wisely avoids using the word "slaves", and instead chooses "men", which seems to do the trick.

The following transpires:

All of Teruk's remaining "men" will follow him to the temple. He has no intention of sending anyone to your pirate ship right now. They will all assist in the attack on the temple. They are all decent fighters, he says. (In fact, many of you found them pretty easy to deal with.)

The villagers do not have magic, let alone magical healing. You will get normal healing rates. 1hp a day, 2 with full rest. Unless someone with cure light wounds decides to help out...

'Old Stones' just means the temple itself. The villagers think the place has magic around it that stops dinosaurs coming within about two miles of it. That's why they live near it - about half a mile from it, in fact. 'The Land of Sulan' is basically the radius around the temple. They have no idea how it works. You'd have to go in and find out?

Not much more to tell about the disease. No knowledge of how it is contracted. It can last for weeks, and can sometimes kill, but usually the victim recovers.

A few other points to make:

The pirates probably do need some wood. But more than anything they will need manpower. The more people working under the direction of the ship builders, the faster you will get off the island. The estimated time is currently at about 12 days, but if people keep getting sick, it will take longer.

The ship has moved around the bay, onto a different stretch of beach, in a desert hex. It has not been taken inland. Apinya and Kanya both won't say much about how it got moved.

So, are you guys going? Seems like you are, but a few doubts remain. I'll try to get you moving tonight or tomorrow.