Chapter 4: Battle in the Ruins

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: Chapter 4: Jab-Afri the Pirate Mage

Post by Woe »

How far away is he? 20' and I'm shooting through a solid wall of monkeys, or there are monkeys on pedestals with gaps?

How do you handle ties? If I say "I back up 30' and then shoot" and he charges me first, does that mean I'd provoke an attack of opportunity in addition to his normal attack (which is clearly not what I'd want to do if he charges first)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

He has moved into I03 so he could fire at you. So, you did not have to shoot through the monkeys. If you did, it would be impossible (unless you rolled a 20). They take up too much of the square.

I've had to think through how I am handling this, and realized there is no point getting you to declare actions in a situation where he has won the tie break, because I am jot asking you to stick to your declared actions and you can change your mind after he has acted.

In this case, he does win the tie-break and acts first. He runs back around the corner to K04 again.

If you follow him, he will get to throw a shuriken at you as soon as he can see you. I allowed you to break up your last round into two phases like that so I will allow him to do likewise.

I wouldn't normally do it that way but it's a pretty crucial battle and it's one on one.
Woe

Post by Woe »

FWIW this is what I try to do. It's still an imperfect system and while most players don't deliberately try to abuse it, does make it hard in many situations to do something ridiculous solely due to initiative differences.

http://basicfantasy.org/forums/viewtopi ... ive#p55562

I will pocket the vial. If I move to the stairs (silently, of course :)) will he be able to attack me?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali will come out of the cube, pistol in hand pointing at Kanya, shouting :

"Kanya, drop that horn, drop your weapons and surrender. Otherwise, you won't get out of here alive !"

During the time Jaali is speaking, he will try to move away to get somewhere where he can be around 40' feet away from her but still have a good shooting angle.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Jaali, You are inside a 30 wide concrete cube, right at the center. She is about 5' from the centre.

You cannot go 40' away and still get a good angle. If you want to try and run past her and out the door, you cam get 40' away but then you will not be able to see her because you will be outside. Otherwise, if you stay in the cube, the maximum distance you can get from her is 20''.

What do you do?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Then Jaali will walk along the wall, to be able to run outside and shoot if Kanya don't cooperate.
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK, you enter the room with gun pointed at her and move towards the wall

She is not surprised.

She puts down the powder horn and picks up her flail.

Fat chance, you hairy little freak. One hit from that isn't going to harm me! And then I'll squash you!

Clearly she is going to attack you next round.

Do you have the next half of your move (running outside) or shoot her? You can't do both because you have already had half your action.
Longman

Post by Longman »

(See another post above)

I will pocket the vial. If I move to the stairs (silently, of course :)) will he be able to attack me?

Probably. All he has to do is move a bit and he can throw at you. You're not sure.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali will run outside.

By the way, how much time does it takes to light a torch ?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Lighting a torch would take a full round.

Jaali has acted, Kanya has now acted.

Waiting on Sonja to finish her round. Pocketing the vial is an action. Moving 30 feet would finish her round.