Chapter 4: Battle in the Ruins

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Chapter 4: Battle in the Ruins

Post by Longman »

Day 15, 10am.

Entire party present at the desert ruins. Teruk and his men are there.

Sonja the Ranger returns from the desert. Sonja's story will be posted soon.

pinewood's new character is yet to be posted but is also present, having escaped with Rostam.
Rhialto

Re: Chapter 4: A Good Name for Chapter Four

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam looks around at the small crowd that is now assembled at the ruins.
The small man is bruised and starved, but he seems almost cheery:

When I escaped from the camp, I expected to spend the night hiding in a ditch, with little hope to see the morning alive.
Now look at this gathering of excellent people!

Most of you, I recognize from the ship and I apologize for not getting to know you better.
My mind was set on the trifling task I had been given.
Little did I realize that a much greater challenge was soon to come.

The situation at the ship is a dire one.
The pirate captain is running out of patience and I fear that the prisoners will suffer worse than his men, who in any case have chosen their own fate.
Jab-Afri wants to leave the island as soon as possible and sell the prisoners as slaves.

I say we must stop him!
Not only to save the prisoners and punish the pirates, but also because the ship is our best hope to get off this island.

What do you say?
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

Ahaha! I do enjoy your spirit young man.

The kappen laughs so hard as to fall back onto the base of his shell, his head bobbing in and out of his collar as he cackles with glee.

Should we go out on this quest of yours, my prayers will be with you, and should we find my luggage - my mace will be with you as well!

He rolls about, stands up, and dusts off his ragged clothing. As a sign of battle-preparation, he takes the cord of his holy symbol and ties it loosely around his neck. The length of the cord is long enough that he can wield the symbol without removing it.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Sonja walks up cautiously to the camp, bow out but not strung. She warily asks, "So, you finally figured out the pirate was up to no good?" She ignores Saracen's concerns that Sonja has her own plans for him and slings her bow.

(cautious then joyous reunion; champagne for all)

She then tells her story after she fled the combat. She's glad to hear that her warnings at Monkey Temple were found by the group. She also mentions briefly the chimera fight and probable location of the lair.

"For those who don't know me, I'm Sonja Reis, Captain of the Imperial Navy. I escaped from the pirates -- and the rest of this group -- a few days ago, and have been on my own in the desert since.

(ooh, two Persians meet up in the middle of nowhere!)
"Rostam, was it? You're from Persia also. I recognize that tabard -- Paladin of Ohrmazd, right? You are worthy company to keep, both in battle and in peace.

"I agree. The pirates must be put down and the prisoners freed. Do you have a plan?"

"And does anyone mind sharing some bread?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Teruk arranged for Sonja to be fed, and speaks up:

Good Maju and friends, I am glad to see that the Zargh (sea-elf) is now your enemy. He is certainly ours. The treasures that the halfling stole are also returned to us, and so all has gone well.

We will aid you in this fight against the other pirates, if you wish.

I suggest we make a decision quickly. The old people spoke of this three-headed dragon that Sonja talks about, and if it is close by, we should not linger here. It is a shame the healing powers of the well cannot be taken with us, but my men are all hale, and I see you are all in decent shape as well.Those without weapons, we can give spears. It may not be what you would wish for but it is better than nothing.

Further, I believe I saw a man on a bird-flier, a magic possessed by the Skull Cultists from the south of the island. I hope that more of them are not headed this way. He may have been a scout. He flew over our heads while you were returning here and has gone south.

And finally, the pirates who escaped just now on the camel will surely warn their masters that we are here.

This gives us good reason to leave and prepare ourselves for battle. Where do you think we should go, and how do we approach the ship?
quozl

Post by quozl »

We can't attack from the open desert. I think we should go back through the jungle and catch them unaware.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Rostan, can you show us the new layout of the pirate's camp? Where are the sentinels, the guard posts? Were you able to observe anything about their schedule?"

The ship was teleported to the desert, so it's probably no longer next to the jungle.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Before going, Jaali would like to use the healing well. Can he gets down in it alone or he must gets some help ?

Also, how many hit points does it heals ?
quozl

Post by quozl »

YC will need to do that too.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju says, "If Jab-Afri can summon an air elemental, then he is indeed a dangerous foe and is not to be taken lightly. We must carefully consider how we will defeat these pirates. Fortunately, we needn't be in a hurry, since it will be several days before the Ark Ari is again seaworthy. I suggest we return to the safety of the ruins, if for no other reason than to avoid the multi-headed beast. There we can gather our strength and plan our next moves. Furthermore, with a night's study, I should be able to read the scroll and this book that we recovered from the ape dungeon. Perhaps we will find profit in them. Let's keep the sea-elf with us under guard. He may prove useful." Maju translates for Teruk and asks him to set a guard to Saracen, but cautions him to not injure the pirate. He then turns Kyo back toward the ruins.